Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 02:56 PM

2 posts, read 18,527 times

Advertisements

My family has the option to relocate near Cleveland Ohio, but are completely clueless where to even start looking. We are "middle class" with small kids. Our main concerns are a great school district in a nice/safe area. Do not have a huge budget because of another mortgage but looking to spend around $150,000-$160,000. Just looking for some good insight and direction because we will need to make a decision within the next few weeks. We would love a little space between our neighbors but not even sure if this is an option in the area with our budget. Thanks so much for any help :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 03:20 PM

4,666 posts, read 4,980,348 times
I'd say you have more options in your price range if you want some space between your neighbors, not fewer. I'll throw out a couple names on the west side in Cuyahoga County to get you started: North Royalton, Strongsville, Independence, Broadview Heights, Middleburg Heights, Olmsted Falls, Olmsted Township, and North Olmsted.

These cities are served by the North Royalton, Strongsville, Independence, Brecksville-Broadview Heights, Berea, Olmsted Falls, and North Olmsted school districts, all of which you can't really go wrong with. Some are booming while others are declining in population. Some are big and some are small. Some have new buildings and some old. And some have great sports teams and some terrible. But all of those school districts operate functional, orderly, virtually problem-free schools that serve the needs of middle-class families.

Again, this is just to get you started. I didn't even cover the east side, you might look over there. Or if you want more space on the west side, you could check out communities in Lorain or Medina counties, such as North Ridgeville and Hinckley.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:54 PM

708 posts, read 1,815,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathgasp View Post
My family has the option to relocate near Cleveland Ohio, but are completely clueless where to even start looking. We are "middle class" with small kids. Our main concerns are a great school district in a nice/safe area. Do not have a huge budget because of another mortgage but looking to spend around $150,000-$160,000. Just looking for some good insight and direction because we will need to make a decision within the next few weeks. We would love a little space between our neighbors but not even sure if this is an option in the area with our budget. Thanks so much for any help :-)
As far as the eastside locations, the best are:
Shaker heights
Beachwood
Lyndhurst
Solon
These locations are pretty reasonable with very good schools...also cleveland heights, and pepper pike, and south euclid are also within that price range...Good areas

Old 02-09-2011, 06:10 AM

458 posts, read 1,223,701 times
Here are the top schools in Northeast Ohio, ranked by performance index set by the state:

1. Solon Schools (109.5)
2. Hudson Schools (108.6)
3. Brecksville-Broadview Heights Schools (107.5)
4. Aurora Schools (107.3)
5. Beachwood Schools (107.2)
6. Chagrin Falls Schools (107)
7. Jackson Schools (106.7)
8. Avon Lake Schools (106.6)
9. Lake Local Schools (106.4)
10. Westlake Schools (106.3)

Ranking of top public school districts in Northeast Ohio (http://www.americaneer.com/bestnortheastohioschoolsranking/ - broken link)

All of these are great communities to live in, but some may be out of your price range.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:34 AM

765 posts, read 2,129,460 times
Shaker Heights has a great school district, which is highly diverse, something that I think is important for any child to be exposed to. It has had more National Merit Scholars than any school in the state the past few years. On the Elementary level, Cleveland Heights is fairly good, especially Roxboro, and has plenty of homes in your price range, although it is more urban, so you won't easily be able to get that space you want. Beachwood and Solon are also both good, but not as diverse as the others I mentioned. Are you dead set on public school? There are some great Montessori schools in the area and other private schools that are pretty affordable.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:06 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,287,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
Shaker Heights has a great school district, which is highly diverse, something that I think is important for any child to be exposed to. It has had more National Merit Scholars than any school in the state the past few years. On the Elementary level, Cleveland Heights is fairly good, especially Roxboro, and has plenty of homes in your price range, although it is more urban, so you won't easily be able to get that space you want. Beachwood and Solon are also both good, but not as diverse as the others I mentioned. Are you dead set on public school? There are some great Montessori schools in the area and other private schools that are pretty affordable.
Correct. Tied with Solon.

Shaker Heights, Solon lead Greater Cleveland with most National Merit Scholar semifinalists | cleveland.com

Old 02-09-2011, 12:09 PM

708 posts, read 1,815,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post

Also don't forget about the charter schools in cleveland...My kids will be attending Cleveland Acadamy of Arts and Social Science.....

Old 02-09-2011, 02:20 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,278,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
I think there are actually few schools in Columbus (Upper Arlington) and Cincinnati (Sycamore) that routinely put up big numbers--usually higher than Solon and Shaker Heights--in the NMSF category.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:03 PM

4,666 posts, read 4,980,348 times
^Also St. Xavier in Cincinnati.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:29 AM

10 posts, read 24,564 times
My kids are in 4th and 6th grade in Shaker. We love the schools, our neighbors, and the community. It's safe, interesting, and diverse - and beautiful classic homes are availabel in your price range in the Sussex and Lomond neighborhoods. Lomond is a K-4 school with an "Excellent with Distinction" rating from the state, and all of the other schools are top-notch as well. Beyond school ratings, the Shaker schools are well-known for being academically rigorous and providing great opportunities to students in the arts (music, drama, fine arts, etc), foreign language study, overseas travel - you name it. The schools are becoming International Baccalaurete schools,too, if you're familiar with that program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland