Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2007, 10:08 AM

2 posts, read 5,426 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are a family of 4, with elementary aged children. Due to job and family circumstances, we are looking to relocate from the Cincinnati area to the Pittsburgh or Cleveland area. Most of our family is in Youngstown, so both of these areas are desirable as far as being close (but far enough away LOL) from them!

DH will be looking at companies in the downtown Cleveland and surrounding areas. We'd like to live somewhere that has reached or is reaching maximum growth. I have looked at Bay Village, Rocky River and Paineville (township). Speaking directly about schools; funding issues, teacher strikes, large and growing larger class sizes is what we are hoping to escape. Can anyone give me a couple examples of other outerlying Cleveland areas that have good, but smallish schools? I had a graduating class of 700+ and I want something different for my kids. I know that we'd sacrifice sports, but I can get that elsewhere with community groups, etc. I would like smaller, grade level schools, with no more than 2 elementary schools (and 3-4 grades within those schools). Is this a tall order???

As for home price, we couldn't go beyond 250k. We realize that taxes would be higher, so if we could stay under 240, that would be even better. As far as neighborhood style, we have a lot of likes. We like diversity, but aren't really "urban", but like an urban feel. A small downtown with some quaint shops, eating/drinking places would be nice, as well as a nearby library and children's park. Being close enough to easily drive downtown on weekends would be a plus. Somewhere that has a nice grocery store nearby (and perhaps ease of access to a Trader Joes, Fresh Market, etc would be great!). We are people who like people. We have friends who are of different ethnicities and cultures and we love that.

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 12:15 PM

15 posts, read 87,026 times
Hi,

I was confused about a couple things in your post, so I hope this is helpful. First of all, you say you like an urban feel, but you want an outlying area. So are you looking at the inner-ring burbs or the exurbs?

The most urbanized suburbs are inner-ring, but all of the west side suburbs are overwhelmingly white, so no diversity there. You would be better off looking at the east side. In terms of diversity, good-quality schools, and small size, Beachwood is probably your best bet, although it is less urban and more sprawl-y (think Wisteria Lane.)

Shaker Heights is also very diverse, but it has higher taxes and something like five or six elementary schools. If that doesn't bother you, you might also look at Shaker Square, which is actually a Cleveland neighborhood, but part of the Shaker Heights school district. It was one of the first planned shopping centers in the country, and has a central square with all kinds of shops, as well as a rapid transit line that goes downtown. Cleveland Heights and University Heights are similar to Shaker Heights, but not as posh, and again, there are more schools than you might like (they share a district.) Both the Shaker and Beachwood districts are nationally recognized.

Outlying areas tend to be growing, all-white, with less services (sewer, etc.) Pretty much anywhere in the region, 250k will easily buy you all the house you need and then some, unless you're looking for something really opulent. Taxes in some suburbs are higher than in others, but in the grand scheme of things, they aren't all that bad. People around here tend to whine about them more than they should, in my opinion.

I hope that helps, and good luck with your search!

Old 12-31-2007, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,748 times
Brooklyn, Ohio is an inner ring suburb on the west side of Cleveland. There are about 11,000 residents and about 1,200 kids attending the Brooklyn schools.

The housing prices are low, and the town is safe, you get a small town feel but it is still urban and close to everything.

I would look into Brooklyn and also Berea- I don't know how small the classes are there, but I've heard its a good school system.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:04 PM

6 posts, read 17,782 times
Hi,

Born, raised and lived on the east side of Cleveland until recently. I would start your search there ~ Bainbridge, Aurora, Chagrin Falls, Moreland Hills ~ all wonderful places to raise a family ~ very safe ~ good communities ~ small town feel. You can definitely find a nice home for $250K in any of those neighborhoods. Convenient shopping, close to many restaurants (chains and privately, locally owned), good family communities, the metro park system is nice and good school systems. Good luck and hope you enjoy the suburbs near Cleveland.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:11 AM

786 posts, read 3,925,482 times
Bay Village fits the bill. Really has that small town feel and you can get a nice home for $250. Not snooty so doesn't matter if you don't live in an expensive home. Great library, Lake Erie Nature & Science center and wonderful programs from parks & rec (including an awesome community pool). The school system is small and excellent. As I have said in previous posts, we would move back there in a heartbeat.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:22 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,632,896 times
Rocky River has great schools. Relatively small class sizes I'd assume. The district loses about 40% of it's students to private schools... which helps. Great rec center (Sports Illustrated Recreation City of the year 2 years ago), parks, densely populated city which makes it nice for walking. 10 minute drive downtown, "block party" orientated neighborhoods. Diversity isn't TOO bad. There are a lot of Eastern Europeans and Arabics... but most kids will hang out with people from schools all over the area considering the vicinity to each other. About 200 kids in a graduating class.

People also think the city is too stuck up and such - which isn't really true. It has VERY affordable housing and well within your price range. Most expensive houses and secluded to the lake area.. which is exactly the same in Lakewood. Rocky River has the metroparks as well.

It has everything you want in a city but still is suburb-esque. I hear you like a down-town area.. well it has a pretty nice one. "Old River" on the east side of the city. If you want even more dining or downtown options - 2 minutes east to Lakewood can fulfill that in a quick drive or walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland