Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 10:49 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times

Advertisements

Lakewood sounds like a good match. In the city limits there's Ohio City, Detroit-Shoreway, Kamms Corner and other parts of West Park. Pretty much what was stated. Rocky River would be okay near the Lakewood border. Westlake is the typical suburb, wouldn't recommend it for urban living.

What part of Elyria is your husbands job in?

I don't know if living in/just outside Cleveland city was the main priority, but Elyria itself has the near Eastside, it's urban and there's a lot of shops on Cleveland st.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 11:37 PM

420 posts, read 1,041,811 times
Default most suburban Westlake ( one word)

A great place , for that , upper middle class yes , then pockets of average joes,( hold on locals ,westlake does have a mobile home park, I am just saying ) and many other older middle class neighbourhoods and a great school system for all .
I would call Westlake suburban , a little bit country feel , Yes the western
border along Cuyahoga County and Lorain County .
There is no walkable areas , meaning the" corner store ' unless you count Crocker Park , a manmade fake downtown , that people around here, seem
to like . But do think you can walk to the corner store and buy milk and eggs ect. That said , one can make it downtown Cleveland , drive time
20 min. via I 90 .
dare I say check out Elyria it self , many hidden gems .

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliecat245 View Post
A few people have told us to check out West Lake. I looked on the map and it's a bit further away from downtown Cleveland then the other places mentioned above. Can we assume this town is a bit more suburban than the others?

Old 08-21-2011, 11:44 AM

124 posts, read 304,285 times
Westlake is suburb-ville. So is North Olmsted. We had similar requests when looking for housing and landed in the Kamm's Corners area of West Park.

When do you move? We moved my husband here in September of last year for a new job and I joined in January. We love Cleveland

Old 08-21-2011, 12:11 PM

6 posts, read 10,532 times
My husband's job is in the northern part of Elyria. Not exactly sure where. My sister lives in Cleveland Heights so we wanted to try to stay as close to her as possible without having him drive more than about 30 - 35 minutes to work. We are probably moving sometime in October - just in time for winter. I am originally from Pittsburgh but we are currently living in LA. From all the posts it sounds like we will check out West Park and Lakewood. Does anyone have any suggestions other than craigslists to find apartment rentals?

Old 08-22-2011, 10:03 AM

367 posts, read 621,948 times
If you have kids and schools are important, Westlake is good, but far from walkable. What you want depends on how long your husbands minds having a commute. Going west in the morning and east at night isn't a pain at all. Lakewood has what you are looking for as does Westpark.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:05 PM

65 posts, read 164,319 times
Quote:
Lakewood is nice and even has light rail connections that will take you right into the heart of Cleveland.
There's no rail anymore in Lakewood--the streetcars have been gone since at least the 50's.

There is a HEAVY rail train (like the kind in New York) in the City proper near the border with Lakewood, locally called the Red Line train or Rapid. The poster may have been referring to that.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:06 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliecat245 View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions other than craigslists to find apartment rentals?
I can get you some numbers of places in Westpark (where I also live).

Old 08-23-2011, 08:36 AM

26 posts, read 56,049 times
If you drive around you'll see that the western end of Lakewood is a lot nicer neighborhood than Gordon Square, Ohio City or Tremont.

There's a lot of remodels going on in Gordon Square which is the most popular up and coming neighborhood right now. It has a great location near the Lake, theaters, etc. but doesn't compare to the western end of Lakewood IMO. Lakewood has lots of large trees, good looking people, families, kids riding their bikes around, etc.

If you're looking for something a little more expensive, I'd highly recommend Rocky River. It's beautiful and also filled with good looking active people and families.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:43 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RShotl View Post
, good looking people........................
..........................also filled with good looking active people

wtf?!?!?

Old 08-26-2011, 07:13 AM

26 posts, read 56,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
wtf?!?!?
I mean what I said. I saw many people who were young, active, good looking and lots of families. They were outside taking care of their small yards, walking a dog, riding bikes or running in exercise gear.

There were no groups of people loitering who didn't look like they had a reason to be there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland