Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2012, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,726 times

Advertisements

Hello, my new husband and I are in the market for our first home. We're extremely conservative with money and would like to be able to pay off our home in 15 years. So we're keeping a budget at 150,000 or less.

We're looking in West Park - if we purchase there we would definitely be sending our future kids to either St. Mark's or OLA, and then on to St Ed/St Ignatius or St Joe/Magnificat. We hail originally from the east side and don't know too much about western neighborhoods and schools.

I'm curious about what people think of the academic standards of these two schools. I read a review online that OLA kids are unprepared for high school? We know plenty of smart adults who went to OLA in their youth but that was many years ago.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 09:31 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Really?
This review I bet?

"I attended OLA from K through 8th and I was not prepared for high school. During my time there, teachers have found out to have been unqualified and instead of being asked to leave they were just moved to teach different subjects. Many current and past students and parents of students can confirm that some teachers are very rude to students and do not conduct themselves professionally. The local high schools had to have a big meeting about students graduating from OLA because they are dramatically unprepared. When OLA students move on to the local high schools, public and private, teachers ask what students are coming from OLA , because they have to catch up tot eh rest of the students, especially in math, although no subject is completely excluded from this. I, and many students and parents would not recommend Our Lady of Angels."

Yea, I'm not buying that. Did you see the other positive review on there which refutes this?
Maybe the school had nothing to do with that person "being unprepared"? If you know what I mean...
I think if this was a serious issue with OLA it would have been addressed. The "local high schools" had a big meeting? I am sure Channel 19 would have reported on that. lol

OLA is a fine school. My kid will probably go there.
But we do have other options in Kamms Corner. The Constellation School charter school is getting good reviews (from people I know, not websites) and many of the cops in my neighborhood send their kids there.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:43 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Really?
This review I bet?

"I attended OLA from K through 8th and I was not prepared for high school. During my time there, teachers have found out to have been unqualified and instead of being asked to leave they were just moved to teach different subjects. Many current and past students and parents of students can confirm that some teachers are very rude to students and do not conduct themselves professionally. The local high schools had to have a big meeting about students graduating from OLA because they are dramatically unprepared. When OLA students move on to the local high schools, public and private, teachers ask what students are coming from OLA , because they have to catch up tot eh rest of the students, especially in math, although no subject is completely excluded from this. I, and many students and parents would not recommend Our Lady of Angels."

Yea, I'm not buying that. Did you see the other positive review on there which refutes this?
Maybe the school had nothing to do with that person "being unprepared"? If you know what I mean...
I think if this was a serious issue with OLA it would have been addressed. The "local high schools" had a big meeting? I am sure Channel 19 would have reported on that. lol

OLA is a fine school. My kid will probably go there.
But we do have other options in Kamms Corner. The Constellation School charter school is getting good reviews (from people I know, not websites) and many of the cops in my neighborhood send their kids there.
The review is quite accurate.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
The review is quite accurate.
Well , that's helpful.
Nothing else to add? Why do you say that? Did you send your kids to OLA?

More info would be nice...

So this one is not accurate? Or have things changed since '00?

"I attended OLA from K through 8th grade (class of '00) and I felt that I was more than prepared in high school and beyond. The teachers (some of whom are still there) did an excellent job with preparing students for their high school careers. I went on to St. Joseph Academy where I was accepted into multiple honors programs and I credit that to my 8 years at OLA. I was disheartened to read the previous post discrediting my alma mater so I felt as though I should write in as a former student who graduated college with honors and a Masters of Science degree. I truly do credit that to the wonderful teachers at OLA who really set the foundation for my future. Brittany (class of '00)".

Old 07-26-2012, 07:36 AM

Kamms? Hello?
Care to share some more information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland