Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 10:32 AM

171 posts, read 148,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madamesosostris View Post
@TheProf thank you so much for your suggestion regarding E 55th! You have been so helpful.

@gouldnm I'm sure D.C does have challenging traffic. I lived in Los Angeles for nearly a decade, so I am trying to avoid it here as much as I can. For me, I have always felt that a traffic jam can feel really similar no matter what city I am in.
@madameosostris:
If you've lived in LA then you know what heavy traffic is. I've had a lot of travel to Southern Ca.--not fun!

One key difference, though, is that rush hour on the coasts lasts a lot longer than rush hour in most Midwestern cities. In D.C. the roads are pretty much impassable between 3:00 and 7:00 P.M. As long as you have some flexibility in your schedule, you should be fine. But even during rush hour, it's never taken us more than a half hour to get from Beechwood, which is further East than Shaker Heights, to downtown.

The other thing is that what people consider an unacceptable commute is very different in the Midwest than it is on the coasts. When I first moved to the East Coast from Ohio, I was floored to learn that most people thought nothing of an hour long commute. When I lived in Ohio, anything longer than a half hour commute was considered long.

I don't know if you've lived in the Midwest before, but let's just say that people in the Midwest have a very different sense of time and space than people on the coasts. When this Midwestern native originally moved to the East Coast, that was one of the hardest adjustments I had to make.

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 04:19 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,101,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldnm View Post
As a person who lives near Washington, D.C., I'm finding this discussion highly amusing. You people have no idea what heavy traffic is!

I also find it laughable that people worry about the snow. If D.C gets 2 inches the whole city, including the federal government, completely shuts down. Last time I visited Cleveland, they got 6 inches of snow, and it was business as usual. Nobody even commented on it.

LMAO!
Yeah, when we visit our family NE Ohio we get a kick out of the traffic reports and what the news anchors consider "heavy traffic." I always joke that 2am traffic in Atlanta is worse than Cleveland's rush hour!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland