Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2023, 08:54 PM

4 posts, read 4,352 times

Advertisements

My first post here. I'm planning on relocating to Cleveland area sometime in the next 8 to 18 months (Late Fall 2023 to Spring 2024 seems ideal to me. My employer (Amazon) can transfer me to one of the two centers (North Randall or Euclid), but I won't know which one until about 6 to 8 weeks before the transfer. But my plan is to purchase a home before the transfer.

My budget cap is $115K, and I can comfortably make a cash purchase under $75K. Above that I would be looking at financing, but prefer to purchase a fixer IN or NEAR a community that is going through revitalization.

I prefer a small ranch or something with the bed, bath and kitchen on the first floor. Open to a multi family where I could rent the top floor, but my past experience has been that neighborhoods with numerous multi-family dwellings tend to remain in a constant state of flux. But honestly a MUST for me is a 2+ Garage/workspace for my side hustles.

I've established a list of neighborhoods with properties that seem to be good candidates and started tracking individual properties to get a feel for pricing, time on-market, crime rates etc. I have been reading the numerous archived threads and found them to be helpful, but some are outdated and I'm curious how some of the discussions from years ago have panned out in the post-COVID era.

Geographically, the neighborhoods of South Euclid, Euclid, North & South Collingwood, Old Brooklyn, Brooklyn Center, Clark-Fulton, Slavic Village, Mt. Pleasant and Cleveland Heights are all of current interest. Certainly, the last three are areas of concern when it comes to market stability and safety.

I'm hoping the group can provide insights and share thoughts as I get closer to the move. Looking forward to this relocation and getting to experience Ohio and the Great Lakes Region.

Cheers and Happy New Year 2023.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2023, 06:58 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazombie_2016 View Post
My first post here. I'm planning on relocating to Cleveland area sometime in the next 8 to 18 months (Late Fall 2023 to Spring 2024 seems ideal to me. My employer (Amazon) can transfer me to one of the two centers (North Randall or Euclid), but I won't know which one until about 6 to 8 weeks before the transfer. But my plan is to purchase a home before the transfer.

My budget cap is $115K, and I can comfortably make a cash purchase under $75K. Above that I would be looking at financing, but prefer to purchase a fixer IN or NEAR a community that is going through revitalization.

I prefer a small ranch or something with the bed, bath and kitchen on the first floor. Open to a multi family where I could rent the top floor, but my past experience has been that neighborhoods with numerous multi-family dwellings tend to remain in a constant state of flux. But honestly a MUST for me is a 2+ Garage/workspace for my side hustles.

I've established a list of neighborhoods with properties that seem to be good candidates and started tracking individual properties to get a feel for pricing, time on-market, crime rates etc. I have been reading the numerous archived threads and found them to be helpful, but some are outdated and I'm curious how some of the discussions from years ago have panned out in the post-COVID era.

Geographically, the neighborhoods of South Euclid, Euclid, North & South Collingwood, Old Brooklyn, Brooklyn Center, Clark-Fulton, Slavic Village, Mt. Pleasant and Cleveland Heights are all of current interest. Certainly, the last three are areas of concern when it comes to market stability and safety.

I'm hoping the group can provide insights and share thoughts as I get closer to the move. Looking forward to this relocation and getting to experience Ohio and the Great Lakes Region.

south collinwood, mt pleasant and slavic village are all very rough high crime neighborhoods. clark fulton and brooklyn center aren’t great either.

Old 01-02-2023, 07:33 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Default Euclid

Given your budget, and desire to live near an Amazon distribution center in Euclid or North Randall, these are the two threads IMO, most relevant to your goals.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...ollinwood.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...clid-like.html

Wickliffe and Eastlake in Lake County also may have properties that appeal to you.

I would definitely check properties south of Euclid Ave. in both Euclid and Wickliffe, and north of I-90 and south of Lakeshore Blvd. in Euclid. Benton Village condos in Euclid may be a good starter home option in Euclid, within walking distance of Sims Park and some decent shopping options, but your garage requirement likely wouldn't work there, and likely will be an extremely limiting factor in your housing search, especially given your price range. Consider the possibility of expanding any detached garage on a property under consideration.

https://www.remax.com/homes-for-sale...borhood/848140

https://www.homes.com/euclid-oh/unde...y_type=1,2,260

https://www.homes.com/wickliffe-oh/u..._type=1,260,64

Also, possibly check out Richmond Hts. and South Euclid, with which I have lesser familiarity.

I also would hold out for a transfer to the Euclid distribution center, given the much greater proximity to Cleveland amenities, medical facilities, retail (Mentor shopping complex), Lake County parks and Holden Arboretum, and to Lake Erie. Mass transit on Euclid Ave. is pretty good for getting downtown, by way of the Stokes/Windermere transit center in East Cleveland, which also is a large, free park 'n ride. The Windermere transit center is a terminus for both the 24/7 Healthline bus rapid and the Red Line rail rapid. However, the Windermere station is in East Cleveland, likely the most challenged community in Greater Cleveland. The Windermere station has an RTA police station and is likely safe.

https://www.riderta.com/facilities/windermere

Use the "Plan a trip" function here to check out mass transit options between any prospective home and destinations.

https://www.riderta.com/facilities/windermere

The Google search engine provides a similar capability.

This is the most comprehensive Greater Cleveland relocation thread that I remember, but the OP had very different housing goals/budget than you.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html

Good luck!

Old 01-02-2023, 11:10 AM

469 posts, read 432,450 times
Congratulations on your pending move. Bummer Amazon only gives you 6-8 weeks lead time on the location decision. IMO, Bedford would also be a good option that fits your housing budget, but only if North Randall is your site. It’s a bit of a haul to Euclid from there. But then again, so is Old Brooklyn, so maybe the commute doesn’t faze you.

If you have other criteria (aside from housing budget and crime), folks may be able to guide you further.

Good luck on your search!

Old 01-02-2023, 03:43 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazombie_2016 View Post

Unfortunately, the days of purchasing a "small ranch" in a decent area of Cleveland or the Cleveland suburbs are gone - at least for now. When home prices go back down from the current bubble, they don't return to the pre-bubble price.

Ranches are desirable EVERYWHERE. Ranches with 2 car garages are pretty hard to find. Most garages are one car.

Since time is of the essence, get a pre-approval letter from a mortgage broker. You have a good down payment. Houses that are ranches with two car garages are generally around $250,000 - AT LEAST.

You don't mention how many bedrooms and baths you need. What about other interior features? Have you visited these areas? I'd recommend that, too.

Happy New Year and Congratulations on your new job and your pending move.

I'm curious - where do you live now?

Old 01-02-2023, 05:42 PM

[quote=sheena12;64677260]Unfortunately, the days of purchasing a "small ranch" in a decent area of Cleveland or the Cleveland suburbs are gone - at least for now. When home prices go back down from the current bubble, they don't return to the pre-bubble price. ]

So when I see something like this I can expect it is in an undesirable neighborhood.... Or there is something else going on?

​1364 Francis Ct, South Euclid, OH 44121

$69,900 | 2 • 1 ba

https://apps.realtor.com/mUAZ/lolbdy26

I currently live in Durham NC. It's got a bad reputation for crime and there are definitely areas I avoid, but it's mixed with pockets that have been revitalized as well. Just looking for a 2 bed 1 bath starter that is livable but needs a ton of DIY sweat equity. I'm handy, have tools and capable of installing subfloor, basic plumbing and electric, cabinets, sheetrock, lighting etc

Old 01-02-2023, 05:43 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses. Reading this on my break, so I will get back to everyone ASAP

Old 01-02-2023, 06:35 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Unfortunately, the days of purchasing a "small ranch" in a decent area of Cleveland or the Cleveland suburbs are gone - at least for now. When home prices go back down from the current bubble, they don't return to the pre-bubble price.

Ranches are desirable EVERYWHERE. Ranches with 2 car garages are pretty hard to find. Most garages are one car.

Since time is of the essence, get a pre-approval letter from a mortgage broker. You have a good down payment. Houses that are ranches with two car garages are generally around $250,000 - AT LEAST.

You don't mention how many bedrooms and baths you need. What about other interior features? Have you visited these areas? I'd recommend that, too.

Happy New Year and Congratulations on your new job and your pending move.

I'm curious - where do you live now?
I'd say Clveland real estate is not a bubble at all. It's only now catching some gains that the rest of the country had for decades (which you see those "bubbles" starting to deflate now). IMO waiting for price declines in Ohio is not a good idea.

Old 01-03-2023, 07:30 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
[quote=Amazombie_2016;64677726]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Unfortunately, the days of purchasing a "small ranch" in a decent area of Cleveland or the Cleveland suburbs are gone - at least for now. When home prices go back down from the current bubble, they don't return to the pre-bubble price. ]

So when I see something like this I can expect it is in an undesirable neighborhood.... Or there is something else going on?

​1364 Francis Ct, South Euclid, OH 44121

$69,900 | 2 • 1 ba

https://apps.realtor.com/mUAZ/lolbdy26

I currently live in Durham NC. It's got a bad reputation for crime and there are definitely areas I avoid, but it's mixed with pockets that have been revitalized as well. Just looking for a 2 bed 1 bath starter that is livable but needs a ton of DIY sweat equity. I'm handy, have tools and capable of installing subfloor, basic plumbing and electric, cabinets, sheetrock, lighting etc

Why a ranch as opposed to a bungalow? In Greater Cleveland, bungalows are more energy efficient, and there appear to be many in Euclid in your price range. Most have one car, detached garages, but you likely could expand the garage to meet your work needs.

I'm not certain the South Euclid address is in a bad neighborhood, but it's likely a diverse neighborhood to some degree. Certainly, school districts may be less desirable, if that's a concern.

SlideRules can provide you links to check neighborhood crime statistics.

My hunch is that lower-priced neighborhoods may experience substantial price appreciation in coming years. E.g., check out the home value index graphs for various communities of interest at zillow.com.

https://www.zillow.com/home-values/24624/euclid-oh/

A more immediate concern are municipal income tax rates and property tax rates. Euclid has superior city services, but also has relatively high income tax and property tax rates. If you work for Amazon in Euclid you already will pay Euclid city income tax. IF you live in another city with less than a 100 percent residential income tax credit, you'll also have to pay a residential income tax in the city of residence.

Old 01-03-2023, 08:12 AM

1,303 posts, read 854,381 times
If you end up working at the Euclid facility, I would say just buy a house in Euclid. There are definitely some good deals to be had here. I would say the sticking points would be A. two car garage.....don't see very many of those at your price point and B. Your price point. Any chance of it bumping up a bit? You could definitely get a decent home here for around $125-150. Euclid is not a bad area, close to highways, downtown Cleveland and amenities and definitely a good location to the warehouse here. Heck, from my house you could walk a block to the #94 bus and ride to the warehouse...not even need a car! Good luck, whatever you decide to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: