Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 12:37 PM

1,304 posts, read 854,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I was wondering about that. and I appreciate your response.

We are not looking for a house in either area. We are looking at two newly built communities that are located in each of these areas The builders have other communities we can check out.

We've just been disappointed in our home search. We were really only in love with one house. We missed it by a half hour. It really had everything we wanted.
I guess I'm confused. Are you looking for a house in either of these areas? If not, why are you asking about them????

Anyway, no, I do not live in Eastlake, but in Euclid, so pretty close by. Have you not driven through this area at all? The towns of Eastlake, Wickliffe, Willowick, Willoughby and Euclid all seem to merge somewhat into one another, at least in my opinion. I'm not sure why you haven't considered Euclid at all. You will not have the issue (or not much of an issue) with Right wing Trump lovers here. Also, there are (or at least were two years ago when I bought here) great deals to be had on nice houses. You would get a much larger bang for your buck here than you would in Lake County....and basically, like I said, the neighborhoods/towns seem to pretty much run into one another anyway. I looked at comparable houses in Lake County when I was searching, and a similar house to mine in Lake County ran close to $40K more than mine. I know schools can be an issue, but I think your kids are grown, so not an issue...as WRNative indicated, maybe the Ukranian refugees have young kids?

Just my two cents. Hope you find what you are looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 12:59 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Quote:
Thanks so in your opinion, Eastlake is OK? Is it all Republican/MAGA types? Or a mix?

I'm going to check out the votes myself, however, how a place "feels" is also important to me.

It might surprise some, but I grew up in a Gold Coast old money area in the North Shore of Long Island. My parents were both registered Republicans, although my mother voted Democratic in national elections.

Those were very different. times, though, and people were not as rude or violent about their politics. Now, I hear that back east, in working class areas, people are having Trump Trains of enormous pickup trucks on Saturdays, hanging Biden in effigy on their lawn, putting up signs in their yard that read "Eff" Biden.

This is NOT where I grew up, or where I last lived. It's on another part of the Island. The North Shore was always more genteel, fiscal conservatives Republicans. They were called "Rockefeller Republicans back then. Think Liz Cheney, Christine Todd Whitman, former governor of New Jersey, Mitt Romney, Adam Kindelberger and members of The Lincoln Project.

I'm a progressive Protestant, and there are some churches that are progressive in Eastlake. I may choose to attend church in Cleveland, too.

I have to do some more research, and I am happy to hear any other comments about Amherst. We were always leaning more towards Amherst anyway.

I don't live in Eastlake, but visit it several times a year to see my friend. I'm unaware of any aggressive, pro-Trump activities, but that's not a definitive answer. Although in 2020, I saw many pro-Trump signs in certain areas of Lake County (no memory of Eastlake, but perhaps wasn't there in the weeks before the election), I've no memory of aggressive pro-Trump activities.

Why are you leaning towards Amherst?

I couldn't find precinct-by-precinct voting percentages in Lorain County (perhaps I missed the report), but Amherst definitely voted for Trump (based on a map provided at the following link), as did Lorain County overall.

https://www.voteloraincountyohio.gov...on-information

Trump supporters that I talk to most supported him because of his anti-mask and anti-vax leanings, and Trump's supposed opposition to immigration, even though Trump personally benefited from birthright tourism and the employment of illegal immigrants at his golf resorts; Trump also never introduced or promoted an immigration reform bill.

https://www.pbs.org/video/ttc-extra-...erties-qj0wgl/

Lax immigration enforcement will be a losing issue for Democrats in 2024, unless Biden policies are drastically changed.

Last edited by WRnative; 02-11-2023 at 01:07 PM..

Old 02-11-2023, 02:21 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
I guess I'm confused. Are you looking for a house in either of these areas? If not, why are you asking about them????

Anyway, no, I do not live in Eastlake, but in Euclid, so pretty close by. Have you not driven through this area at all? The towns of Eastlake, Wickliffe, Willowick, Willoughby and Euclid all seem to merge somewhat into one another, at least in my opinion. I'm not sure why you haven't considered Euclid at all. You will not have the issue (or not much of an issue) with Right wing Trump lovers here. Also, there are (or at least were two years ago when I bought here) great deals to be had on nice houses. You would get a much larger bang for your buck here than you would in Lake County....and basically, like I said, the neighborhoods/towns seem to pretty much run into one another anyway. I looked at comparable houses in Lake County when I was searching, and a similar house to mine in Lake County ran close to $40K more than mine. I know schools can be an issue, but I think your kids are grown, so not an issue...as WRNative indicated, maybe the Ukranian refugees have young kids?

Just my two cents. Hope you find what you are looking for.
We have been looking for a house for over a year. Recently, we decided to check out new construction. We didn't select the places. They did. There are several other places where they are building.

The Ukrainians never came. They had an unfortunate accident right before their travel date - their dog bit Doma's nose off, and it had to be reattached. I know. Katya picked the nose off the kitchen floor. It's reattached now, but not looking good. They are younger than we are and schools are important to them, but they don't have children yet. Their plan was to have them in the US, and reapply, every two years. I love dogs, but Tyson scares the crap out of us. I think they are crazy to keep a dog that is so vicious. They named him after Mike Tyson, who bit off someone's ear, Stange coincidence.

My "kiddos" are college graduates. Mid to late 20s. No children yet.

Old 02-11-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I don't live in Eastlake, but visit it several times a year to see my friend. I'm unaware of any aggressive, pro-Trump activities, but that's not a definitive answer. Although in 2020, I saw many pro-Trump signs in certain areas of Lake County (no memory of Eastlake, but perhaps wasn't there in the weeks before the election), I've no memory of aggressive pro-Trump activities.

Why are you leaning towards Amherst?

I couldn't find precinct-by-precinct voting percentages in Lorain County (perhaps I missed the report), but Amherst definitely voted for Trump (based on a map provided at the following link), as did Lorain County overall.

https://www.voteloraincountyohio.gov...on-information

Trump supporters that I talk to most supported him because of his anti-mask and anti-vax leanings, and Trump's supposed opposition to immigration, even though Trump personally benefited from birthright tourism and the employment of illegal immigrants at his golf resorts; Trump also never introduced or promoted an immigration reform bill.

https://www.pbs.org/video/ttc-extra-...erties-qj0wgl/

Lax immigration enforcement will be a losing issue for Democrats in 2024, unless Biden policies are drastically changed.
I meant Eastlake.

Old 02-11-2023, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Somebody told me that the Willoughby senior center shares the Willoughby YMCA pools. I just checked, and this isn't true, although some Y facilities are shared with the senior center. So corrected paragraph:

<<Perhaps check out senior centers for any community under consideration. Typically non-residents can join any senior center in a neighboring community for a slightly higher fee if they would more enjoy another senior center.>>
We are way to young at heart for senior centers. I used to take my grandmother there. We go to rock clubs. There are some great ones in Cleveland.

Thanks anyway. I think I'd be bored to death hearing about other people's grandchildren.

Old 02-11-2023, 02:41 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,041,115 times
Quote:
I don't know about Amherst, but I consider this baloney in Eastlake unless you actively insist on talking politics with any MAGA neighbors you might encounter in Eastlake. I have a good friend in Eastlake who likely voted for Trump, but she isn't very political, probably like many pro-Trump voters in Eastlake. She does oppose liberal reproductive rights, but she's a very Catholic senior citizen. She well tolerates me, even when I express political opinions that probably disturb her. I have many neighbors who were pro-Trump, even posting lawn signs, but I'm still friendly with them, and am not shy about eviscerating Trump policies, many of which they don't know about or understand (such as on climate change and immigration).

See 2020 precinct results here, and I suspect in 2022, post Roe v. Wade revocation, the results may be more in favor of the Democratic Party candidate, most especially if it's not Biden.

https://www.lakecountyohio.gov/boe/election-results/
Good to read this.

Good to always be friendly and allow others to express their opinion. Divorce oneself from the banter, the division, the tit for tat arguments that go on ad infinitum. What a waste of time, seems juvenile. Let people talk, listen, smile, no need to respond with an argument. At least not about politics or religion.

Old 02-12-2023, 08:42 AM

Quote:
We have been looking for a house for over a year. Recently, we decided to check out new construction. We didn't select the places. They did. There are several other places where they are building.

The Ukrainians never came. They had an unfortunate accident right before their travel date - their dog bit Doma's nose off, and it had to be reattached. I know. Katya picked the nose off the kitchen floor. It's reattached now, but not looking good. They are younger than we are and schools are important to them, but they don't have children yet. Their plan was to have them in the US, and reapply, every two years. I love dogs, but Tyson scares the crap out of us. I think they are crazy to keep a dog that is so vicious. They named him after Mike Tyson, who bit off someone's ear, Stange coincidence.

My "kiddos" are college graduates. Mid to late 20s. No children yet.
ok, I get it now.

Wow! That dog sounds scary! Crazy story!

I am wondering why you are staying in Ohio with its toxic politics/politicians. Are your kids here?

Old 02-12-2023, 03:34 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,041,115 times
^^ The word "toxic" might be a bit overkill. I'm pretty liberal but I'm pretty sure I will survive a conservative Ohio state house. The grass is always greener. IMO, I wouldn't live in a place for politics, not at the State level. And if you're liberal and want to impact the Federal elections, then Ohio is a decent place to set up shop and show us how passionate you really are - get out there and stomp the ground in a swing state and see if you can make a difference. Moving to CA or MA because you want to be around more liberals isn't going to do anything at the Federal level.

Old 02-13-2023, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
^^ The word "toxic" might be a bit overkill. I'm pretty liberal but I'm pretty sure I will survive a conservative Ohio state house. The grass is always greener. IMO, I wouldn't live in a place for politics, not at the State level. And if you're liberal and want to impact the Federal elections, then Ohio is a decent place to set up shop and show us how passionate you really are - get out there and stomp the ground in a swing state and see if you can make a difference. Moving to CA or MA because you want to be around more liberals isn't going to do anything at the Federal level.
You know, if I were younger I might take you up on this. However, I would prefer to spend my "golden" years in a place that more closely aligns with my values. I don't think I have enough energy or time to turn this state around! Part of the issue is that my life up until the past few years was spent in MA and Washington State...both very liberal places (well, Eastern WA is pretty conservative, and I was very happy when I moved over to the Western side of the state) Of course, I would literally survive here, but would rather thrive than just survive. I get that no place is perfect, but I know there are more perfect places, for me at least, than Ohio.

Old 02-16-2023, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
You know, if I were younger I might take you up on this. However, I would prefer to spend my "golden" years in a place that more closely aligns with my values. I don't think I have enough energy or time to turn this state around! Part of the issue is that my life up until the past few years was spent in MA and Washington State...both very liberal places (well, Eastern WA is pretty conservative, and I was very happy when I moved over to the Western side of the state) Of course, I would literally survive here, but would rather thrive than just survive. I get that no place is perfect, but I know there are more perfect places, for me at least, than Ohio.
This is how I feel. I don't want to argue and debate. This new breed is different. Anti-science, for example. Lacking in any sort of common sense.

It's hard enough to make friends in your 40s, 50s, 60s, and beyond.

Our kids are all over the place - but not in OH - Seattle, Washington, Brooklyn NY, Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: