Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2011, 01:32 PM

708 posts, read 1,815,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagster View Post
Wrestling on Channel WUAB 43 and WKBF 61 in the 1970s.

One show was called 'Big Time Wrestling'. The other was called 'All-Star Wrestling'. The theme song of one of the shows was a few bars from the song 'Classical Gas' by Mason Williams.

One of the more memorable wrestlers seen on the Cleveland shows was Pampero Firpo, a native of Argentina. He looked like something out of the jungle with his long black hair and short dumpy stature. He used to make threats about who he'd beat up and grumble 'Ohhh yeahhhh'. And the crowd would echo back to him, "Ohhhh yeahhh'. He was famous for his trademark death grip with his hand over someone's face, known as the 'El Garfio' face claw, that would render the opponent unconscious.

Other wrestlers seen on the Cleveland TV shows included Johnny Powers, Eric the Red, Andre the Giant, and The Sheik.

The wrestlers would rant before the match on how great they were going to pulverize the opponent. One wrestler once said, 'When I get through with him, he'll be looking at Cleveland and smelling Toledo."

Here's a video of Firpo:

Pampero Firpo promo - YouTube
Hey I remember that...my dad use to take me to the Cleveland Arena where we would watch Bo Bo Brazil and Eric the Red...Classic times indeed!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 01:23 AM

127 posts, read 333,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
I remember when they tried Dick Feagler as the anchor of channel 3 news, and at first he had a hard time keeping a straight face during stories where you just knew he wanted to make some sarcastic remark!
Yeah.

He used to have a show called 'Feagler and Friends'. Although it seemed he didn't have too many friends with all those sarcastic remarks he popped off at his guests with the intent of irritating them.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:03 PM

For those interested in the West Park area, here's a site about things that have gone by.

History of the West Park Neighbo

The main website:

http://westparkhistory.com/

Old 12-19-2011, 05:48 PM

Here's a Cleveland area Beatles tribute band from the early 80s era known as Revolver. Three of the original members were from Norwalk and one was from Akron. The video mentions the Carousel in Ravenna which later moved to Akron and went out of business in 2009 according to the web.

The group later had legal problems and the non-original members continued under the name '1964 The Tribute'

I remember seeing a news clip of Revolver at the end of the WEWS 6 pm news around 1984 and appearances on various TV shows. Someone on the WEWS news clip said that Revolver looked like the Beatles if you are far away. Ted Henry made a comical remark something to the effect of 'far away is where I'd want to be from them.'

Revolver - Live on A.M. Cleveland - June 20, 1984 - YouTube

Old 01-02-2012, 11:19 AM

Here's a site called Cleveland Classic Media for all you nostalgia buffs out there.

Cleveland Classic Media

Old 01-02-2012, 03:16 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,157 times
Quote:
Here's a site called Cleveland Classic Media for all you nostalgia buffs out there.

Cleveland Classic Media
Great web site. We were just visiting Cleveland last week from Atlanta, and upon seeing Dick Goddard my daughter said, "who's he?? He's old!" We tried to explain his standing as a Cleveland institution to no avail - she was not impressed. LOL

Old 01-02-2012, 06:31 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
upon seeing Dick Goddard my daughter said, "who's he?? He's old!" We tried to explain his standing as a Cleveland institution to no avail - she was not impressed. LOL
I thought he was old 30 years ago! I wanted to cram those wooly bears down his throat.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:04 AM

Big Chuck did a scene on his TV show where he went off looking in the studio for honest Dick Goddard to pick the winning contest ticket from the barrel. Dick was seen in another room picking the pocket of fellow weatherman Mark Koontz who was sleeping in the weather room. Mark wakes up and says, "Hey, my watch is gone. And so is my wallet!" Goddard then puts his arm over his shoulder and says, "Oh, this is terrible. Let's see if I can help you find what you lost, Mark."

Big Chuck and Little John then arrive at the weather room and say, "Oh, it's Dick Goddard, an honest guy to pick the winning ticket for us!" Goddard says, "Oh, um, Yeah. Um, you wouldn't want a dishonest person to pick the ticket."

(Remember, this was a comedy sketch. Dick Goddard really is an honest, nice, apple-pie person)

Last edited by shagster; 01-03-2012 at 02:49 AM..

Old 01-05-2012, 03:00 PM

Cotton Club is a noted soda manufacturer of the Cleveland area. People in other states often ask about how to obtain these sodas, such as Cotton Club ginger ale, which are not easily available elsewhere.

Encyclopedia of Cleveland History:COTTON CLUB BOTTLING AND CANNING CO.

Locals may remember the popular 'Big Ginger' TV and radio ads in Cleveland during the 1970s. Some are on youtube.

The shapes of vintage soda bottles were quite fancy. Some have also said that the shape of Big Ginger wasn't too shabby either.

For all you bottle-heads out there:

History of Soda Bottling Cleveland, Ohio

Old 01-06-2012, 07:58 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,102,157 times
Quote:
Cotton Club is a noted soda manufacturer of the Cleveland area. People in other states often ask about how to obtain these sodas, such as Cotton Club ginger ale, which are not easily available elsewhere.
I used to love Cotton Club's Cherikee Red Pop!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland