Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2010, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 6,001 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are contemplating a possible cross-country move to the area and already know we would want to settle in Shaker Heights, since my husband's job would be there and he would like to continue to be a bicycle commuter (weather permitting of course).

I'm looking for input on the best neighborhoods in Shaker Heights, given the following priorities:

1) Racial diversity -- we are an inter-racial family so this is a main priority
2) Walkability -- parks/stores/restaurants close enough to walk
3) Sense of community/neighborliness
4) Good elementary school (our son is a toddler, but we're thinking long term)
5) Homes in the under $200,000 range
6) Prefer in central or east side of Shaker so biking to work in east SH is more realistic, but 1st 3 considerations are more important.

We will likely rent for the first year, but looking at the market right now for rentals vs. buying, there is so much more available to buy than to rent, for not a lot more per month, so I wonder if it makes sense to buy right away. Many of the 3BR rentals in the $1000/mo range are up/down duplexes, and with a very loud, rambunctious toddler in our family, this could be less than ideal.

Anyway, we'd love to hear something about the different neighborhoods of Shaker Heights to start narrowing down our list.
Thanks for any input or suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 09:22 PM

171 posts, read 446,732 times
Default Ferway

1) Racial diversity -- we are an inter-racial family so this is a main priority
2) Walkability -- parks/stores/restaurants close enough to walk
3) Sense of community/neighborliness
4) Good elementary school (our son is a toddler, but we're thinking long term)

Meets all 4 of your requirements........Ferway is right smack in the middle of town and houses range from $149k - $250k.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:32 AM

171 posts, read 446,732 times
Default More details

1) Racial diversity -- we are an inter-racial family so this is a main priority - Most neighborhoods in Shaker have diversity. Ferway, Sussex, Onaway and Lomond areas at your price range.
2) Walkability -- parks/stores/restaurants close enough to walk Ferway you can walk to Shaker Town Center for Heinen's (supermarket, subway, cvs, banks, etc.) I usually walk to Shaker Town Center. I am going to get a bagel from Heinen's after I type this.
3) Sense of community/neighborliness All of the areas I listed fit this bill. That it what makes Shaker special.
4) Good elementary school (our son is a toddler, but we're thinking long term) Ferway Elementary is right in the middle of the neighborhood and you can walk.

We moved here 2 1/2 years ago and love the charm of Shaker. There are alot of transplants in Shaker........Hope this helps

Old 05-08-2010, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,001 times
Thanks. This is helpful, and good to hear there are lots of transplants there. Fernway looks like a good bet -- just wondering why Fernway school doesn't rate as high on most rating sites as the other nearby schools (Onaway & Lomond at least).

Old 10-14-2010, 12:41 PM

192 posts, read 492,354 times
Sussex neighborhood all the way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland