Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 02:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,827 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know that I'm not moving to one of the top 10 cities in the country. I'm trying to be optimistic about this. Thing is, we are moving across the country & I have no idea about the area. We will visit a couple times, but I want to know something before I get there. What I need from any of you helpful people is some guidance on a few things:

-Where to look for rental houses. My husband said that he doesn't mind commuting up to 30 min, to ensure we can live in a decent area. Rental, because I AM NOT buying a house in an area that I am not 100% sure is good.
-Find a decent school (1st & 4th grade). Yeah, I know that this should fall under decent area to live. I also have no problem going private, if needed.
-Where to find an All Star Competitive Cheerleading gym. My 9yr old is in her 6th season in competitive cheer & it is her life (after school & church). This transition is going to be very hard for her & I'm hoping that having her new cheer team set up will help.
-Anything else, I should know! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 07:21 AM

451 posts, read 1,914,598 times
If I were moving to the area and had to work in Kinston, i'd look at Winterville or Ayden in Pitt County. There is a cheerleading place off of Corey Road in Greenville that seems to be extremely busy (right beside Boyd Lee Park).

I drive through Kinston everyday from Winterville on my way to work...it's about 30 minutes, even less if I don't hit any lights. Plus it's a four lane highway with a 60 mph speed limit.

Just my 2 cents...

Old 06-08-2011, 07:29 AM

107 posts, read 257,272 times
I would refer you to the Richlands NC area...Heard the schools are good, and the area is growing...

Old 06-08-2011, 07:48 AM

46 posts, read 211,237 times
As far as private schools, I have known many people who attended (or have children attending) Arendell Parrott Academy in Kinston.

Arendell Parrott Academy | Home

They have a long, established reputation and although I have not personally been there, I think you would be pleased with the education provided.

If you can't afford that, then home schooling is your other viable option, the public schools in Eastern North Carolina are just pathetic (except for a few exceptions).

Here is one local home school group's website (there may be others):
Lenoir County Home Educators

I don't know anything about the rental market in Lenoir, hopefully others here can assist with that.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:06 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,290,539 times
My suggestion would be not to get too hung up on any first impression you might form. Kinston has a lot of warts, but it also has some good aspects going for it (good people, good housing, reasonably good shopping, a decent community college, proximity to some other interesting places, and the like).

Old 06-08-2011, 08:02 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,486 times
The brewery downtown isn't half-bad.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:08 PM

451 posts, read 1,914,598 times
Herritage Street in downtown Kinston has some cool places...the brewery, some nice looking restaurants and shops. Actually, Kinston's downtown would be really cool if it were fixed up. I like the true main street feel it has, and some of the buildings have nice architecture. It's a shame that they are not in better condition.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:01 AM

2 posts, read 4,827 times
Thanks for all the input! Keep it coming.

I've been researching the Winterville/Greenville area, for rental homes. I'm sure we will get a real estate agent for this, but I wanted to have an idea of where she is taking us.

The tip about the cheer gym, off of Corey Rd, in Greenville was very helpful. Looks like a nice place.

You guys are really helping me start this difficult transition.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:54 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
I'm going to give you the best advice you will ever get.

Coming here is not like where you are. Not even close. The people here tend to be closed minded and don't take very well to suggestions. Especially if you're not from here.

That said... Try to spend a whole lot of time finding the right neighborhood. Even after you think you've found the right place to live go back and walk the neighborhood. Do it in the day, night, weekdays and weekends. See what the people are like in that neighborhood. Do they come outside on the weekends? Are there any kids outside playing? Any adults walking or riding bike? Do they wave when you go by?

Finding the right neighborhood is the key to being happy here or any other place. Spend a lot of time on your choice and you won't regret moving here. I've been there, had to move. Now I'm happy here.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:53 AM

279 posts, read 702,790 times
I absolute agree with above poster. We live in a town outside Raleigh now and the first morning I drove through, I saw people walking dogs and it seemed so idyllic. I then had come through other times of day and did not see anybody out, etc. I have been in my house now 2 years and people in this n'hood are friendly, but do NOT want to be your friend. I have tried. When we move toward the coast next year, I may rent in one of my target neighborhoods first to see if we are accepted. I won't make the same mistake twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina