Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 06:26 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,928 times

Advertisements

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/261486_1713366644928_1561040060_31350557_6632613_n .jpg (broken link)

"Imagine that 1 dolphin has actually killed more sea turtles in 1 day than most netters have acidently killed in a lifetime of fishing nets. And yet the whole NC gill net fishery would be shut down in NC waters if they were to kill that many turtles in a month."
Glen Montgomery

The above quote comes from a friend of mine who is a commercial flounder fisherman. Last year the commercial fishing families of North Carolina were banned from fishing nets that target flounder. The reason for the ban was due to increase interaction with sea turtles. (Note the term "Interaction" and not kill, harm or injure)
As a result of the ban fresh locally caught flounder landings decreased approx. 25%. In a time of bad economy our local fishing families are having to suffer undue hardships. Approx. 85% of all seafood consumed in the US is imported. Banning our local fishermen from catching fresh fish only helps the alien producer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 08:38 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Just a note: That is a dolphin fish not the mammal. I don't know what the dolphin mammals eat, but I hope it's not turtles.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:37 AM

Dead is dead regardless if from a dolphin (mahi-mahi, dorado) or dolphin (porpoise, bottled nose dolphin). And yes-porpoises will eat baby turtles. Just about anything swimming in the ocean will.

The point being made is that man is usually the target as the sole blame. Nature is vicious and will eat its own young, sick and stupid.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:46 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
I understand the frustration of the fishermen. But it seems you're making a nice argument against net fishing--since the turtles already have so many natural predators, why introduce more in the form of humans?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:50 AM

955 posts, read 4,090,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
I understand the frustration of the fishermen. But it seems you're making a nice argument against net fishing--since the turtles already have so many natural predators, why introduce more in the form of humans?
Bill Hitchcock makes many good points in his postings - I have probably given him more rep points than any other poster on this board. But in this case, I agree completely with arbyunc.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:14 AM

Because death by gill net quells in comparison to just about anything else. A gill net is manned and note of any interaction is made. No one or no thing else reports the countless interactions with recreational hook and line fishermen, boat/prop encounters or natural predaation.
The only reporting comes from the commercial fishermen so therefore the commercial fishermen are the only ones every blamed.
The interesting thing that prompted the gill net ban was the increase of turtle interactions. Fishing pressure (amount of net and number of trips) had decreased. So, as Dr. Louis Daniel the Director of the Marine Fisheries said the increase in turtle interactions is probably due to an increase in turtles.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:24 AM

572 posts, read 1,611,066 times
Somebody explain to me why there is such a huge, organized effort to protect sea turtles. Do they play some crucial role in the ecosystem that I'm unaware of? Are they the only predator for some form of pest that I'm unaware of?

Old 06-23-2011, 11:31 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
Admittedly I don't know anything about the particular situation you describe, but I would hope that whoever makes such decisions does so based on reliable information. I have no idea how you count sea turtle populations, but it seems you'd need to be sure about it before lifting net bans.

What do you suggest? Sounds like you want to lift the bans now, without really knowing whether the population is stable or not. Is that wise?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:11 PM

I paid a visit to the Karen Beasley Sea Turtle Rescue and Rehabilitation Center; A Sea Turtle Hospital on Topsail Island, NC
web site. These folks have been taking care of injured/sick sea turtles since 1996. They are located in Topsail. I went over to the "patients" section of their website. They list all of their sick/injured turtles and what the problem was. I counted up how many of each. If my numbers are off it isn't by many. I was getting a bit crossed eyed there at the end.

Internal -Viral, Fungal or Unknown Total:122
Fracture - Flipper, Carapace, Plastron, or CranialTotal: 79
Cold Stun Total: 77
Hook, Entanglement,* Gill Net or Other Total: 50

Interesting notes: Boat interactions are not listed as such. All fishing and fishing gear are lumped together. Fishing related mishaps are fewest in number.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:30 PM

572 posts, read 1,611,066 times
According to their website only about 1 in 5000 baby turtles reaches adulthood so it's pretty obvious that mother nature is killing off a crapload of sea turtles. If there really is a shortage then why don't the rescue people scoop up some of those 4999 baby turtles that are gonna get eaten and raise them for a year so they have a better chance of surviving. Supposedly there are about 5,000 to 10,000 babies hatched just on Topsail Island each year. I don't know how big a 1 year old sea turtle would be but I'm guessing it would be big enough to not get eaten by a bird or a crab. Surely it would offset whatever turtles are actually being killed in net fishing.

Im just asking, is the objective to increase the turtle population or is the objective to ban net fishing? Seems like the turtle population could be increased pretty easily. I know land turtles are farm raised for food. I can't see why you couldn't do the same thing with sea turtles and just release them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina