Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 06:39 PM

28 posts, read 59,428 times

Advertisements

I think my husband and I need a reality check. We are relocating to the Wilmington/Hampstead/Topsail/Surf City region (we have wiggle room) and are sort of giddy at the idea of purchasing either on the ocean or very close. It has been years since we've lived in a place with hurricanes (Louisiana) so we are probably forgetting all the downsides of coastal living. Can anyone give their input? Right now I am just dreaming of being able to have my morning coffee while looking out on to the ocean....but I do want to make an informed decision. Thanks Annie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 07:21 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebobannie View Post
....we are probably forgetting all the downsides of coastal living. Can anyone give their input?
I'm sure you know what the downsides are. We evacuated once last summer because of a hurricane. It down several trees in the yard which had to be cleared. You have to plan for what to do when they come.

The other concern is the cost of homeowners insurance. We are 2 miles from the coast, and we pay $2400/year. It would be more closer to the ocean. In the worst case insurers could refuse to write coverage at all.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:26 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Cold winter winds off the water.
Aforementioned storms and their associated costs.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I'm sure you know what the downsides are. We evacuated once last summer because of a hurricane. It down several trees in the yard which had to be cleared. You have to plan for what to do when they come.

The other concern is the cost of homeowners insurance. We are 2 miles from the coast, and we pay $2400/year. It would be more closer to the ocean. In the worst case insurers could refuse to write coverage at all.
Well we have to live in the area anyway... so I assume that most of the time if you have to evacuate the coast you would have to evacuate within a few miles of the coast.

But yes, I assume that insurance is where it will really kill. That would be very scary to invest in a home that you can't even insure. Thank you!

Old 04-06-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Cold winter winds off the water.
Aforementioned storms and their associated costs.

We are moving from Idaho so cold is nothing new If anything I am more afraid of the mosquitoes!

Old 04-06-2012, 07:50 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,564,324 times
If you can afford the insurance, have an evacuation route and somewhere to go/stay in the event......, then go for it. I know several folks that have retired to Emerald Isle, etc. and love it. Me, I don't mind just sitting on the back deck and watching the woods, squirrels, birds, and the pines swaying in the breeze and no ocean or water - but for each, his or her own. NC, however, may due for "the big one" - who knows?

Old 04-07-2012, 03:54 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,799,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniebobannie View Post
We are moving from Idaho so cold is nothing new If anything I am more afraid of the mosquitoes!
Cold moist air combined with a constant breeze will rob your body heat faster than much colder dry air. I lived in the Rockies 8 years and have experienced both. Neither is pleasant. But out West, I remember a lot of nice days when the temp was in the 40s. The 50s can be bone chilling at the beach.

However, if we keep getting weather like this last so called winter then it's a moot point. I consider Topsail a 7 month (April-October) beach, meaning if I went down there for a few days it is very likely I will have some good days. March and November are often nice but not as dependable.

When you visit, I also suggest driving along River Road south of Wilmington. The Cape Fear River begins to look and feel more like a bay. I don't know if you would enjoy that kind of view with your coffee as much or not but you may want to consider it.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:09 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,928 times
The three negatives to coastal living: Wind, Salt and Water.
The three positives to coastal living: Wind, Salt and Water.
Live here long enough and all of that will make sense.

Let me pass along the one bit of advice given to me when I moved to coastal NC 30 years ago.
If it's wood-It'll rot
If it's metal-It'll rust
If it's plastic-It'll get stolen.

Welcome to the beach!

Old 04-07-2012, 03:39 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Cant agree more with the wood, salt and water, as well as insurance. Another thing is that if you are at the coast, you are a LONG (boring) way from the rest of the state. Sooner or later, you are gonna want to go somewhere else, and it takes a long time to get to the mountains. I have lived at coast three different times, near coast now, and the drive to Charlotte gets old. The drive to WCU in Cullowhee is beyond miserable.

Don't think smugly you will be find down here and you won't need to ever go inland. You would be wrong.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:43 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
The three negatives to coastal living: Wind, Salt and Water.
The three positives to coastal living: Wind, Salt and Water.
Live here long enough and all of that will make sense.

Let me pass along the one bit of advice given to me when I moved to coastal NC 30 years ago.
If it's wood-It'll rot
If it's metal-It'll rust
If it's plastic-It'll get stolen.

Welcome to the beach!
Or blow away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina