Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 06:28 AM

2 posts, read 4,546 times

Advertisements

My wife and i are contemplating a move to the N.C. coastal area, she dosen't work and I work only part time. Would like info on areas to search for rental homes where its semi-close to the beach (1-5 miles) but quiet. Any suggestions? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 07:46 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by possible retiree View Post
Would like info on areas to search for rental homes where its semi-close to the beach (1-5 miles) but quiet. Any suggestions?
Well, that covers the whole North Carolina coast. But, you might exclude Jacksonville, Sneads Ferry, Holly Ridge and Swansboro, as you will hear the Marines shooting off their artillery and explosives at night.

You need to specify a budget, but in general, rentals are fairly affordable away from the beach. They could be houses, mobile homes and apartments. What is your preference? What size town do you prefer? Do you want areas with many retirees around? Do you need golf, swimming pools, etc?

Old 04-29-2012, 07:51 AM

6 posts, read 24,097 times
We are also looking to retire to NC and are looking in the Southport area. Any advice??

Old 04-29-2012, 09:50 AM

805 posts, read 2,005,214 times
Swinny... we just moved / retired to Southport last August. Lovely town, many restaurants in the area, just about everything we need is here in town or 25 minutes away in Shallotte or Leland.... VERY nice waterfront on the Cape Fear river with waterfront eateries..... easy access to beaches on Oak Island ( 10 minutes ), one hour to downtown Wilmington and airport .... we live in St James Plantation, but there are many other plantations in the Southport area of all shapes, sizes and price ranges, also much housing of all types and prices that are NOT gated communities.... very happy here.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:39 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times
Quote:
My wife and i are contemplating a move to the N.C. coastal area, she dosen't work and I work only part time. Would like info on areas to search for rental homes where its semi-close to the beach (1-5 miles) but quiet. Any suggestions? Thanks
We just returned from a quick trip to the NC coast, stayed in the Calabash area close to Sunset Beach, at the southern most end of the NC coast.

As goldenage1 said, there is about 300 miles of coastline to chose from with all sorts of housing options.
Can you narrow it down a bit?

Old 04-29-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
As goldenage1 said, there is about 300 miles of coastline to chose from with all sorts of housing options.
Can you narrow it down a bit?
In addition, if you want to continue to work, what kind of community would you need? There are only a few urban areas, and the rest are beach towns with seasonal work.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:07 AM

2 posts, read 4,546 times
Well we live in a fairly small county now, looking for a 3-4 bedroom house, between 700-900 per month, other retiree's are good, willing to drive to urban areas for shopping, Working for a local government at present, looking for a quiet place not too far from the beach. We dont require much, just like peace and quiet, no children, just 2 loveable dogs.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Well we live in a fairly small county now, looking for a 3-4 bedroom house, between 700-900 per month, other retiree's are good, willing to drive to urban areas for shopping, Working for a local government at present, looking for a quiet place not too far from the beach. We dont require much, just like peace and quiet, no children, just 2 loveable dogs.
Swansboro and Morehead City are possibles, but your rent budget is a little low for 3-4 bedroom house. Would you consider a mobile home or townhouse?

I'd suggest Sneads Ferry, but we have a problem with people trespassing on vacant land and shooting guns for hours on the weekend. It's *not* quiet. That's something to watch out for in rural areas, in addition to people who ride dirt bikes and ATV's on vacant land. In addition, country people keep roosters,cows and barking dogs.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Well we live in a fairly small county now, looking for a 3-4 bedroom house, between 700-900 per month, other retiree's are good, willing to drive to urban areas for shopping.
I'll also suggest Leland, Calabash and Ocean Isle Beach as there are many retirees in the area. However, your budget would go further if you considered 2-bedroom houses and townhouses. It's hard to find 3 or 4 bedrooms at that price.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:34 PM

605 posts, read 1,259,781 times
Hello! I see that you live in St. James Plantation. We are torn between retiring at St. James or Ocean Ridge. Did you visit Ocean Ridge? We want maybe .40 of an acre, and with a 2500 sq. ft. home, would like to pay a total of less than $450,000. What do you think of that? I know SJP has the expensive $15,000 entrance fee, but they seem to have more stability of their plantation, i.e. Mark Sauders' nightmares of the Jaquar Liar section of ORP. Does anyone have newer information for us? We also went and saw that brand new hospital and were very impressed with it. Seems like this area is definitely now growing. Any suggestions pro or con to either of these plantations??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina