Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 04:29 PM

6 posts, read 12,845 times

Advertisements

Ive looked online ,and the demographics for this seemingly nice country area appear to be 2 x's the national average! Am i to believe if i move my family here I am 2x's as likly to get shot, stabbed, be a victim of a "bath salt" homicide?

Do they have a zombie problem there?

Serioulsy though can anyone clue me into why the Murder rate is so high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 07:53 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,065 times
I live about 25 miles from Chinquapin (in Jacksonville) and have only ever driven through Chinquapin. I'm honestly not sure why the murder rate is so high, but the impression I've always gotten from what I've seen from Route 111 is that it's a poorer / lower demographic community.

20% of the residents have a median income of below $15k per anum- 45% of residents have an income lower than $35k.

Relative poverty / lower incomes seem to go hand in hand with crime. It's a sad fact of life but it's unfortunately true.

I have to ask though... why on earth would you want to move to Chinquapin? There's virtually nothing to do there... I wouldn't think it would be a positive/interesting place to raise a family at all.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:56 PM

13,370 posts, read 27,030,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyrockarolla View Post
Ive looked online ,and the demographics for this seemingly nice country area appear to be 2 x's the national average!
Can you clue us in where you found that figure?? This site shows Duplin County to be 1.5 times the national average for murder: Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

I'm wondering if there was a statistical quirk for one year in a small population.

Last edited by Yac; 09-10-2018 at 05:38 AM..

Old 06-21-2012, 08:14 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,728,204 times
I teach math. The denominator is too small and the sample size is too small. Some yahoo goes off in a small town, the rate skyrockets, and I think we can all agree that Chinquapin is a small town.

My experience is that murder rates are irrelevant. For 99.9% of the occurrences it is what you are doing, where you are and what time it is. For the 1 in 10,000 that is in the wrong place at the wrong time, "stuff happens."

Old 06-21-2012, 10:31 PM

202 posts, read 350,463 times
I would also like to know where you found murder statistics for Chinquapin. It's a pretty tiny place and there is nothing out of the ordinary in regards to crime. You wouldn't feel unsafe there and I highly doubt you'd ever experience any sort of vicious crime. If you're looking for something fairly isolated, Chinquapin would fit the bill. There is one restaurant in Chinquapin, if it's still even open. You have to go to Wallace or Beulaville if you want to grab some fast food or go grocery shopping. Once again, if you're looking for an area that's very rural and southern, Chinquapin fits the bill. If I may ask, what brings you this way?

Old 06-22-2012, 04:12 AM

I found the stats here Chinquapin, NC Crime Rate Indexes - CLRSearch , I found similar on some real estate sites etc...Perhaps Im reading them wrong...? LOL

Im convinced its a zombie problem hahahah]\\

What brings me to Chinquapino or to NC? NC I explained in another post , but Chinquapin, I just happened on a listing for that area, saw a decent place in my price range and started doing a little google-fu. I like that its rural, but reading from these posts , it may be a little to rural for the Fam...

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-22-2012 at 05:32 AM..

Old 06-22-2012, 06:17 AM

In the year I have been here, there have been a few shocking murders in rural Eastern NC. But mostly they are related to drug-drealing or personal issues like infidelity. The average citizen isn't targeted, and they are not random. Occasionally someone cracks up like the man who killed many of his wife's co-workers in a nursing home in Cathage.

You don't have to sit around worry about these things. Just be aware that Eastern NC has poverty, meth labs, drug dealers and that sometimes people settle their disputes with weapons.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:48 AM

We were recently out in Beulaville, near Chinquapin, and you should be aware of the feeder cattle lots. The air smells of manure for miles. Or as my grandma used to say "fresh, county air".

Old 06-22-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
We were recently out in Beulaville, near Chinquapin, and you should be aware of the feeder cattle lots. The air smells of manure for miles. Or as my grandma used to say "fresh, county air".

Whoa...good lookin out, should have considered this myself, being Im from an area thats similar, also the reason I moved form said area, at least one of the reasons

Old 06-22-2012, 01:47 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,020,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
I would also like to know where you found murder statistics for Chinquapin. It's a pretty tiny place and there is nothing out of the ordinary in regards to crime. You wouldn't feel unsafe there and I highly doubt you'd ever experience any sort of vicious crime. If you're looking for something fairly isolated, Chinquapin would fit the bill. There is one restaurant in Chinquapin, if it's still even open. You have to go to Wallace or Beulaville if you want to grab some fast food or go grocery shopping. Once again, if you're looking for an area that's very rural and southern, Chinquapin fits the bill. If I may ask, what brings you this way?
In very small towns, murder rates can get easily skewed. It's a simple number of murders/total population. In a place with only 2,000 people, 2 murders increases the murder rate by 1 murder per 1,000 people, that's 100 murders per 100,000 people - twice the murder rate of Detroit.

It's never a good idea to determine where to live based on a murder rate. Because murders are just not very random. The property crime/robbery rate will tell you more.

That said, never been a fan of Duplin County. My grandmother lived in Faison. Scary, scary place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina