Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 12:37 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times

Advertisements

So that is why East Carolina was ranked in the Top 200 in the latest US News and World College ranking. East Carolina is A LOT better than many give credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Bullll. There are some really great programs here. Just like NCSU or CH. If I want engineering, I would go to State. Anything medical related, ECU and CH are close. etc etc
Sorry but I have to chime in here....as someone who transferred from ECU to UNC during undergrad....the very idea that anyone could think the two schools are at all in the same league academically (or really in any metric besides affordability for in-state students) is insane. Because I got wait-listed at Carolina and because I had more friends who were going to ECU than the other in-state schools where I was accepted (yes I know, a VERY dumb reason to chose a college to go to, and a lesson I learned the hard way)....I ended up at ECU for my freshman and sophomore years. The stereotype that the typical ECU student cares more about partying than studying/academics is ABSOLUTELY based on the overwhelming majority of the ECU undergrad student body. The only tiny exception to this rule overall tended to be the nursing students (ECU has a very good nursing program; again though, not as good as Carolina's, which is ranked 3rd in the nation) adult (30+) students, or those with sizable scholarships. Literally HALF of my all-freshman dorm (Garrett Hall) was kicked out early in the spring semester for a huge in-dorm party where they all got so drunk they almost burned the place down (ps...this was on a Tuesday night!). Classes would be half empty more often than not....and this was 5 days a week (on most Fridays, it was actually more like 75% empty). The ambition was just not there amongst the bulk of the ECU student body. As a business major I very easily had a 4.0 GPA just by showing up to class and going over the powerpoint presentations that were posted online. There was basically no need to go to class....final exams were made up of questions that were COPY AND PASTED from powerpoint lectures. All of this, and yet typically exams were still curved at least 20-30 points so that over half of the class wouldn't fail (this was especially true in the econ classes). In summation....most people who ended up at ECU, did so because they either did not get in anywhere else or because they cared more about the partying scene than anything else. Yes, there is definitely a portion of the student body who got great scholarships or came for very specific programs in which ECU specializes and they are working hard and taking their academic endeavors very seriously and put school ahead of partying; but unfortunately for them; they are outnumbers and grossly overshadowed by kids who came there just to drink and party. Less than 35% of ECU students graduate in 4 years....and only 57% graduate in SIX years (this was a number they BOASTED about at freshmen orientation!).

This is on SHARP contrast to Carolina. Yes they have scandals involving easy classes/ handing out easy grades to some student athletes but this is a tiny fraction of the students and faculty who were involved (though again, not to downplay it as it has caused quite the stir and even the chancellor to resign)...but overall Carolina students are THERE TO BE EDUCATED. There is such a stronger passion for education, social activism/charity, and current events amongst UNC students and they are overall much more worldly (highest percentage of students who study abroad for any public university on the planet). Davis library is PACKED most weeknights with students who are studying/working on papers or projects. Classes have overwhelming majority attendance unless it is the day after a game against Duke or the day after Halloween. Over 85% of Carolina undergrads graduate in 4 years.

Also, to the person who said that they only reason ECU gets stereotyped as a "party school" is because all the focus in Greenville is on ECU and there's not much going on in the town besides the college scene....Chapel Hill is dominated by UNC just as much if not more than Greenville is by ECU so I really don't think that is a solid explanation. I won't even delve into the polarity of the culture between the towns of Greenville and Chapel Hill.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:03 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,160,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
So that is why East Carolina was ranked in the Top 200 in the latest US News and World College ranking. East Carolina is A LOT better than many give credit.
i wouldn't exactly use that as an argument in your favor considering chapel hill is consistenly ranked in the top 30 while ecu is usually between 150 and 200. you're better off using the "they have a few good programs" argument.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:50 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocco View Post
i wouldn't exactly use that as an argument in your favor considering chapel hill is consistenly ranked in the top 30 while ecu is usually between 150 and 200. you're better off using the "they have a few good programs" argument.
I think his point was that most posters to this board make ECU out like it's the worst school in the nation. Take everything with a grain of salt.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I think his point was that most posters to this board make ECU out like it's the worst school in the nation. Take everything with a grain of salt.
Exactly. dUNCe is in a class with the Virginias, Michigans and Berkeleys. As long as you don't account for their athletes.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:09 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
There are about 2400 degree granting schools in the US. To be ranked in the top 200 is doing good.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:04 AM

54 posts, read 75,524 times
tarheel Im sorry ECU was just too make of a cakewalk for you but I have had experienced quite the opposite. the fact that you say ECU students care more about partying than academics is ridiculous. sure there are some, and these students dont make it long. I have seen joyner library packed almost any night i have ever gone anytime between sunday-thursday. Not everyone shows up to class but they are usually 75% full and many teachers now take attendance. The difference between UNC and ECU students is that a lot of UNC students have no social life and cant balance the two. I have a friend as well who went from ECU to UNC and he said that the general ed classes are no different at either school.

UNC and ECU dont really compare academically but do not compare ECU to a community college like you just did. It may be easy to get into but I busted my ass to get out in 4 years.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:39 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Why bother? I posted another list recently and everybody denied that ECU could be ranked where it was.
Rankings are useless. These idiots never get anything right, whether they're talking about academics, or party schools, or best places to live, or best places to retire.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:51 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
I know what I am showing reflects INPUTs, but it is somewhat accurate of ranking the rigor of a University. There are a million exceptions, but having gone through the "getting accepted to college kabuki dance," twiceo in last three years, these inputs match closely the quality of my PERCEPTION of the output.

Student Services - UNC System College Profiles

Old 10-10-2012, 11:53 AM

Here is another one of those pesky rankings a certain population doesn't like to believe.

ECU College of Business named a top business school for 2013 | ECU Now

The sixth straight year on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina