Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 08:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,278 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
My fiance is getting stationed in Jacksonville NC and by the time that we move out that way I will be done with my BSN and I was just wondering how difficult it is to get a job in hospital as an RN? I have been looking at job listings and they all seem to require experience and I have experience as a nurses aide but obviously none as an RN. Any suggestions on when I should start applying (we arent moving there until may) and ways to boost my chances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 06:15 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsmr6 View Post
ways to boost my chances?
I don't know the nursing field, but why not get some experience through temporary jobs like giving flu shots or volunteering at clinics? In this area there are many clinics staffed by nurse practitioners, so I suspect there are many qualified people in the area.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:02 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Beside looking in jacksonville, I think you should also check neighboring towns for jobs: Carteret General Hospital in Morehead City and Carolina East in New Bern. For Brynn Marr Hospital in Jacksonville, check their web site separately, as they are a specialized substance abuse hospital. I have also seen an contractor hiring for the Naval Hospital on base.

If you can't locate an entry-level nursing job in a hospital, there are opportunities where your degree would be an asset. For example, we could really use a licensed electrologist around here, and there are ear-piercing opportunities.

I don't want to be too discouraging, but the military wives around me are "under-employed". Smart women with degrees have difficulty finding good jobs, perhaps because employers assume they will move on too soon.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-19-2012 at 10:34 AM..

Old 10-18-2012, 07:39 PM

33 posts, read 84,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsmr6 View Post
Hey everyone,
My fiance is getting stationed in Jacksonville NC and by the time that we move out that way I will be done with my BSN and I was just wondering how difficult it is to get a job in hospital as an RN? I have been looking at job listings and they all seem to require experience and I have experience as a nurses aide but obviously none as an RN. Any suggestions on when I should start applying (we arent moving there until may) and ways to boost my chances?
New York RN for 30 years and NP for over 20 years with Masters in Nursing. You should apply immediately, but you should also know what type of Nursing you want to specialize in. Years ago we were told to have basic Medical-Surgical experience and we could go anywhere with that. It held true for me and I went into ICU, ER, Recovery Room, Neuro ICU and Coronary care. It is different today Nurses can work in various health and non health settings. I however feel it's best to get your feet wet, it may be harder but you'll have a strong foundation if you pay your dues now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina