Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2012, 11:50 AM

7 posts, read 22,479 times

Advertisements

potential job in Hamilton NC, we have one school age child left at home. Korean adoptee. Considering the Greenville NC area to live. Couple of questions I have: What neighbourhoods do most children that attend St. Peters Catholic school live? What areas in the nothern part of Greenville are safe to live in? Is our childs race going to be an issue? Are there youth sports programs in the area? Moving from the north, and have moved around the country, but have not lived in the southeast yet. Any advise?
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2012, 05:11 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,261,994 times
It is basically farmland north of the bypass, so that is fine.

Your child's personality is a bigger factor than anything, so race no.

Youth sports are huge.

Don't come here thinking you're better than the people living there. Don't compared how much better back home was. That is what pees off most.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:35 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
And now that you know how the locals feel...

There are no good neighborhoods in north Greenville. The better subdivisions are a few on the western side of Greenville and the Eastern Pines area. We are in an extremely family friendly neighborhood but there are no homes for sale.

As difficult as it may be, you really want a neighborhood with transplants already in it. The locals tend to be very defensive and very standoffish if you don't see things their way. There aren't a lot of Catholics in the area. And those that are here tend to be transplants like yourself.

You may be better off renting for a little while and getting established in your local Catholic church to see where most of them are living.

Old 11-10-2012, 04:34 PM

638 posts, read 1,595,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbirdmn View Post
potential job in Hamilton NC, we have one school age child left at home. Korean adoptee. Considering the Greenville NC area to live. Couple of questions I have: What neighbourhoods do most children that attend St. Peters Catholic school live? What areas in the nothern part of Greenville are safe to live in? Is our childs race going to be an issue? Are there youth sports programs in the area? Moving from the north, and have moved around the country, but have not lived in the southeast yet. Any advise?
Thanks so much!
Personally, I'd nix the job and keep looking elsewhere. But if you do take it, consider living in Robertsonville and not G-ville. The other posters are right.. there's little to nothing in N. Greenville; it's all rural. If you live in S G-ville, you'll spend lots of time on the roads commuting.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:23 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
Personally, I'd nix the job and keep looking elsewhere. But if you do take it, consider living in Robertsonville and not G-ville. The other posters are right.. there's little to nothing in N. Greenville; it's all rural. If you live in S G-ville, you'll spend lots of time on the roads commuting.
Uh, this is some of the worst advice I've ever seen given here. Robersonville is a hole. Aside from the fact that shopping is virtually non existent. There's what? A Food Lion, 2 Dollar stores and a Micky Dees? I'm not thinking that there are any Catholic churches either. The schools are crap and there's nothing for children to do.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:08 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
Williamston is a viable option. Right on 64 for quick travel. Less of a commute. Still pretty rural but nothing like Robertsonville, and it's the biggest population center between Greenville and Hamilton.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:58 AM

286 posts, read 653,403 times
If your kid ends up in Martin County Schools, try to get them into the Bear Grass Charter School. There is a world of difference.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:23 PM

7 posts, read 22,479 times
Thank you for your input. I appreciate the advice! We will see what happens . :-)

Old 12-31-2014, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,332 times
Default Just drove through looking

My husband and I are considering moving to Greenville, NC we just drove through and it is a beautiful area! We also checked out the TWO Catholic Churches! They appear to both be growing. Lots of houses for sale in all different areas! People were very friendly and there is shopping! Macy's Kohls SAMs Club .... Etc.... Maybe we will meet some day at Mass. May God Bless you, your move & adopted son! We would love to adopt!
People will most likely as nice to you as you are.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:01 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryT. View Post
My husband and I are considering moving to Greenville, NC we just drove through and it is a beautiful area! We also checked out the TWO Catholic Churches! They appear to both be growing. Lots of houses for sale in all different areas! People were very friendly and there is shopping! Macy's Kohls SAMs Club .... Etc.... Maybe we will meet some day at Mass. May God Bless you, your move & adopted son! We would love to adopt!
People will most likely as nice to you as you are.
Macy's? Unless it was built within the last week while we were on vacation, Macy's is not in Greenville, NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina