Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2007, 04:27 PM

104 posts, read 339,014 times

Advertisements

Hi,
A group of my friends and I am thinking about renting a house for Thanksgiving. Can anyone suggest a place which allows dogs on their beaches, has fun/lively restaurants and bars and a low-key atmosphere? I'd like to relax but we don't want the entire town to be shut down for the season or anything. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 08:24 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,917 times
Smile Not a bar expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markey View Post
Hi,
A group of my friends and I am thinking about renting a house for Thanksgiving. Can anyone suggest a place which allows dogs on their beaches, has fun/lively restaurants and bars and a low-key atmosphere? I'd like to relax but we don't want the entire town to be shut down for the season or anything. Thank you!
I'm not a bar expert by any means, but the area around Emerald Isle probably has at least five or six bars and a couple of clubs.

The area definitely doesn't close down, it is a low key atmosphere, and you can have dogs on the beach on leash, though there are some pretty deserted areas where people let them run and have fun in the water.

All the restaurants in the area are open, though a couple have cut their hours. There is probably additional activity in Morehead and Jacksonville but I know even less about their bars.

Locally there is the Emerald Club, and here is a Google list (http://tinyurl.com/249jsj - broken link) of some others. There might be one or two out of date entries.

There are more like the Dive, T&Ws Oyster Bar, and the Ice House in Swansboro.

You can check out my Emerald Isle Travel Guide for more info.

-David Sobotta

Old 10-18-2007, 08:40 PM

23 posts, read 83,915 times
Do people live on Emerald Isle all year round?

Old 10-19-2007, 03:21 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,928 times
"Do people live on Emerald Isle all year round?"
You betcha-All of Bogue Banks has a year round population. Heck cross the bridge over to Cape Carteret and we've got a Lowes Home Improvement and a Lowes Food Store!!
Morehead City even has a Wally World!! We're big time!!
Sorry-Couldn't resist. Carteret County has a year round population of around 75,000 people. But we all get kinda lost because the county is over 1000 square miles with half of it being water and with 82 miles of ocean front beaches!!
And if you're going to be here on Thanksgiving-Be sure to have some oysters! In fact-a local tradition is an oyster stuffing!!
If you are a fisherman-Speckled trout and King Mackerel fishing is amazing then. Thanksgiving is also when the first sign of giant bluefin tuna's. These fish average in the 3-500 pound class and will litterally be found just a pier length off the beach.
Bill

Old 10-19-2007, 05:48 PM

4 posts, read 14,164 times
Default I live in EI

We moved to Emerald Isle 4 years ago from Northern Nj (right outside of Manhattan). And we LOVE it. We have three kids, have the best school district in the state, live near the beach....heck its paradise.

There are actually many houses rented T'giving weekend to families wanting to get away. Rates are cheap and the weather is usually in the mid 70s.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:52 PM

23 posts, read 83,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldIsleMom View Post
We moved to Emerald Isle 4 years ago from Northern Nj (right outside of Manhattan). And we LOVE it. We have three kids, have the best school district in the state, live near the beach....heck its paradise.

There are actually many houses rented T'giving weekend to families wanting to get away. Rates are cheap and the weather is usually in the mid 70s.
That's great! How is the nightlife for 20 somethings?

Old 10-23-2007, 11:18 AM

928 posts, read 3,852,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCaprio83 View Post
Do people live on Emerald Isle all year round?
Yes, it's not just a partying beach town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina