Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 07:53 PM

82 posts, read 193,134 times

Advertisements

I'm from NJ and was stationed in Lejeune for 4 years before leaving in 2009 returning to NJ. I'm not crazy about the southern lifestyle but the prices up here in NJ are just ridiculous. I'm considering moving back to the coastal region, preferably in the upper half of the state (Jacksonvlle on up) but would consider others. The biggest concern I have is the quality of schools for my kids. I want to be far away from any ghetto areas/run down areas/high crime areas. As long as I am around a great school system, that's all that matters. I'd also like to be relatively close to some sort of city, not live in the middle of the woods.

I'm familiar with Jacksonville but don't really want to move back there...too Marinish for me. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 08:02 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfab86 View Post
I'd also like to be relatively close to some sort of city, not live in the middle of the woods....
I'm familiar with Jacksonville but don't really want to move back there...too Marinish for me. I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!
Check out Newport near Morehead City. the schools rate 7 or 8 out of 10 at greatschools.org . In addition, the schools in Dare County (Outer Banks) rate 6,7,8 or 9, but they may be too isolated for you.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:32 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
If you won't to go Jacksonville on up and be close to a city, you're pretty much limited to Carteret and Craven County, of which Jacksonville is the largest city close to them. The area still has a definite marine presence, though it si not "Marine Town, USA" as my wife calls Havelock. A lot of Marines, with families get out in and stay in the area. My mom did, I have several friends who have done so as well. Every thing north of that on the coast is real rural until you hit Elizabeth City, which is close to the Virginia Beach area. I can't comment on the schools in that area, though.

The school systems in Craven and Carteret are very good overall, any variation in test scores is due to demographics/parentage versus curriculum and how the school is ran. Not going to bother mentioning the Elementary schoosl b/c ther are several good ones to chose from. Tucker Creek Middle School in Havelock is one of the best in the State, Croatan High is as well , and there are several others that aren't any slouch.

All of that said, I'd reccomend you look south towards Wilmington and the other towns down the US 17 corridor south of Jacksonville. Assuming you want to be Jacksonville >North due to it's proximity to Jersey, you're not going to lose travel time from the Wilmington area b/c of I-40 and you'll actually gain time, I believe versus Newport or Morehead City. The Topsail area in Pender County has great schools. As well as Bear and Hoggard High in Wilmington and their feeder schools.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:38 PM

thanks...I'll look into the Morehead City area

Old 01-26-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Assuming you want to be Jacksonville >North due to it's proximity to Jersey, you're not going to lose travel time from the Wilmington area b/c of I-40 and you'll actually gain time
I completely forgot about I-40. I visited Wilmington a bunch of times during the course of my time in Lejeune and it seemed ok. I guess I want pretty much what anyone wants...close proximity to everything, low crime, great schools, cheap housing and taxes, etc. lol. I just like being able to get a 4000 sqft house for 300k. You can't do that in NJ.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:13 AM

Quote:
I just like being able to get a 4000 sqft house for 300k. You can't do that in NJ.
Uhhh...that isn't quite true, unless you find a foreclosure. But there are 3400 sf houses in my area for about $315,000. The new home builders are very price-competitive and can build for under $100/SF. But Sneads Ferry is full of Marine families. Houses get significantly more expensive as you go toward Hampstead and Wilmington. That 4000 SF house would be more like $500,000 in Wilmington.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:57 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Here is DPI site with several ratings.

In addition to test scores look at how many middle schoolers passed algebra, and in high schools look at how many were in AP courses. Talking percents here, not absolute numbers.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Uhhh...that isn't quite true, unless you find a foreclosure. But there are 3400 sf houses in my area for about $315,000. The new home builders are very price-competitive and can build for under $100/SF. But Sneads Ferry is full of Marine families. Houses get significantly more expensive as you go toward Hampstead and Wilmington. That 4000 SF house would be more like $500,000 in Wilmington.
I looked at houses for sale on zillow and trulia and I've seen numerous houses (non forclosures and in great shape) in the 3500-4000sqft range for around 300k or so....a lot of new construction as well. Those properties ranged all over coastal NC.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
I looked at houses for sale on zillow and trulia and I've seen numerous houses (non forclosures and in great shape) in the 3500-4000sqft range for around 300k or so....a lot of new construction as well. Those properties ranged all over coastal NC.
If you are serious about that price range, I'd hope you would name a few towns, and see if you would find the school systems acceptable.

There are several in Sneads Ferry that are close to that price range, eg, rated at 3890 SF and priced at $309,500. They are mainly by DR Horton and Savvy Homes. They take some short-cuts with the quality of HVAC, and other things. For example, there might be one heat pump, where you will get better performance from 2 heat pumps. Also, I am skeptical of the quoted SF, as the official floor plan is 3373. They seem to be counting about 500 feet of unfinished or optional space.

I'm not trying to nit-pick, but just suggesting that you be cautious about believing a claim of 4000 SF for $300,000.

I would not especially recommend the school systems in Sneads Ferry, which are average to slightly better.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-27-2013 at 08:42 AM..

Old 01-28-2013, 12:54 AM

42 posts, read 91,396 times
Surf City, NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina