Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,001 times

Advertisements

My wife and son and myself are looking to move in the Wilmington area. Sonny will be in High School and wife is an RN. Looking at a place in the 250k range, that is not all retirees. Coming down shortly to look around, any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2013, 07:49 PM

3,087 posts, read 4,869,669 times
I usually suggest the Pine Valley/Woodberry Forest neighborhoods because they are in Hoggard's district. Plenty of families in those areas and right in mid-town so very convenient.

Each High School is ok, most locals consider Hoggard the best overall.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:47 AM

196 posts, read 576,588 times
US News ranks Topsail HS among to the top 20 high schools in North Carolina. Hoggard is unranked. Top North Carolina High Schools | Best High Schools | US News

Old 07-21-2013, 08:05 AM

13,375 posts, read 27,089,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky40 View Post
Looking at a place in the 250k range, that is not all retirees.
Looking at new, 2-story homes might be the best way to avoid retirees who don't like to climb stairs. A recent Homes and Land magazine shows new developments under $250K at Village Park, Deer Crossing, Stones Edge, The Registry at Vineyard Plantation, Woodlake at Lord Creek, Willowwick and Majestic Oaks. Most are in Wilmington and range from the Myrtle Grove area in the south to the Porter's neck/Ogden areas in the northeast. Majestic Oaks is in Hampstead, which is the Topsail school district.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:01 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,742,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestlingterp View Post
US News ranks Topsail HS among to the top 20 high schools in North Carolina. Hoggard is unranked. Top North Carolina High Schools | Best High Schools | US News
But, Hoggard is ranked higher based on students at grade level, and it has a higher % of students in advanced classes.

Good luck.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
But, Hoggard is ranked higher based on students at grade level, and it has a higher % of students in advanced classes.

Good luck.
Must by why US News has Topsail ranked higher.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Must by why US News has Topsail ranked higher.
I stated the feeling of locals. Comparing Topsail and Hoggard is apples and oranges. Topsail has become a great school with its students coming from similar circumstances, lots of folks moving closer to the water...that's both of its constituencies.

Topsail is smaller to Hoggard and has a new facility. Hoggard is right in the middle of town and a whole lot more convenient in Wilmington.

But I'll say it this way, my recommendation is based on what most 16 year old kids would want. Hoggard has more options of extracurricular, consistently finishes the best in overall athletics programs, its area it serves is between the Mall area to Mayfaire and toward Monkey Junction. Hoggard also has more diversity than Topsail, which can usually explain differences in rankings (as well as size of the school).

I think its great that Topsail enjoys great rankings (good for the Wilmington area as a whole), but this forum is a place to expand on things and help explain things and give perspective. I'd recommend any of the New Hanover High Schools or Topsail....seems North Brunswick still has work to do. I don't put that much emphasis on the rankings because they give weight to certain things that may or may not have importance. Class size is one...while class size can make a huge difference with poor performing students, I tend to think its better if an AP class has 30 students than 20...probably means there is more smart kids in the school.

Old 07-22-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I stated the feeling of locals. Comparing Topsail and Hoggard is apples and oranges. Topsail has become a great school with its students coming from similar circumstances, lots of folks moving closer to the water...that's both of its constituencies.

Topsail is smaller to Hoggard and has a new facility. Hoggard is right in the middle of town and a whole lot more convenient in Wilmington.
I have no real dog in the fight. Just posting objective information rather than a "feeling of locals" since nearly everyone places a halo around their particular school. I would suspect the "feeling of locals" regarding Topsail would be positive too.

Old 07-22-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
I have no real dog in the fight. Just posting objective information rather than a "feeling of locals" since nearly everyone places a halo around their particular school. I would suspect the "feeling of locals" regarding Topsail would be positive too.
N/P...but "local" feelings aside...is the OP's job in Pender Co or New Hanover? Stated his wife was a RN, well the Hospital area of Wilmington is at least a 30 minute drive from Topsail, if not 45. The area I posted in Hoggard's district in his price range is within 5-10 minutes away.

In this local's opinion, there is no reason to drive an extra hour a day so you can go to Topsail High School (over Hoggard)...in fact, its borderline ludicrous.

That's the kind of depth I am referring to as a response to those that post "ratings" websites. Provide perspective of those ratings, put a little thought into it.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
N/P...but "local" feelings aside...is the OP's job in Pender Co or New Hanover? Stated his wife was a RN, well the Hospital area of Wilmington is at least a 30 minute drive from Topsail, if not 45. The area I posted in Hoggard's district in his price range is within 5-10 minutes away.

In this local's opinion, there is no reason to drive an extra hour a day so you can go to Topsail High School (over Hoggard)...in fact, its borderline ludicrous.

That's the kind of depth I am referring to as a response to those that post "ratings" websites. Provide perspective of those ratings, put a little thought into it.
I guess I am incorrect in considering Hampstead being in the Wilmington area, as described by the OP. A RN could find work in many places that are not in a hospital setting. My wife may well make the trek from Topsail Beach to Wilmington, depending on what job she finds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina