Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 12:32 PM

791 posts, read 1,154,536 times

Advertisements

Planning from Raleigh a four, five day trip to Ocracoke Island North Carolina. Will drive from Cape Hatteras and take the ferry. I have been to Nags Head and Cape Hatteras a few months ago. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 12:52 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowstoneDate View Post
Planning from Raleigh a four, five day trip to Ocracoke Island North Carolina. Will drive from Cape Hatteras and take the ferry. I have been to Nags Head and Cape Hatteras a few months ago. Any thoughts?
It's your life. I would be bored to tears after one day on Ocracoke Island. What is the attraction?

Old 07-23-2013, 01:30 PM

Planning to go in September for 4 day's to 7 day's vacation trip.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:34 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
C'mon GA...give Ocracoke a break....

It wasn't too long ago it was rated the #1 Beach in America...

Dr. Beach Names Ocracoke Island, N.C. America's Best Beach

Dr. Beach gives some good reasons...note he said the Lifeguarded Beach.

Personally, I prefer the ferry rides from Swan Quarter or Cedar Island...the 2 hours or so on the boat is very relaxing and really gives you an idea of how big the sound really is. Plus it costs less in gas because you turn the car off.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
C'mon GA...give Ocracoke a break....
It wasn't too long ago it was rated the #1 Beach in America...
I'm not a beach lover. The OP could walk around the whole island three times and talk to all 700 permanent residents in the time she plans to be there. I am sure it is seclude and lovely, but would you want to live there?

Old 07-23-2013, 04:16 PM

I was thinking staying at Ramada Inn for two nights at Nags Head. Then drive down to Cape Hatteras and take the ferry to Ocracoke Island. Spend two more nights at another hotel and then drive back to Raleigh. Do you recommend Ocracoke area hotel?

Old 07-23-2013, 06:04 PM

286 posts, read 569,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I'm not a beach lover. The OP could walk around the whole island three times and talk to all 700 permanent residents in the time she plans to be there. I am sure it is seclude and lovely, but would you want to live there?
There's lots of places I like to visit but wouldn't want to live.
NYC
Yellowstone
Ocracoke
etc.

If you're not a beach lover, then yeah, going to the beach might not be fun. But I don't think the OP was asking your opinion about that.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowstoneDate View Post
Spend two more nights at another hotel and then drive back to Raleigh. Do you recommend Ocracoke area hotel?
The Silver Lake Motel seems to have a nice location with a view of the water, and they allow pets. Some other places look interesting, like the family-run Edwards of Ocracoke, but they are non-smoking, and don't allow pets. (I went to Anywho.com , and found a list of 9 places, and several of them have links to websites.) Since the OP doesn't mention preferences for style or price, it hard to recommend anything.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:42 AM

638 posts, read 993,986 times
We just spent the weekend in Cape Hatteras and took the ferry to Ocracoke. We live in Wilmington and had been trying to get there for years to see what the number 1 beach in the USA in 2007 looked like. Personally,we weren't impressed at all and don't know how it got chosen. Of course,that was seven years ago and maybe it was different then.????? Like my hubby said.....the only reason you would want to go there is to commit suicide because no one would know or find you or if you just want to be completely alone with very little amenities. Our beaches here(Wrightsville and Carolina) are much nicer. However,we did enjoy the ferry ride and seeing all the amazing sandbars,etc. We stayed at Cape Hatteras and took the ferry to Ocracoke. We went to Nags Head our last morning there to go see the Currituck Lighthouse and that area is much better to stay overnight. However,it's a pretty long drive back to catch the ferry to Ocracoke. We considered going to Morehead(been there before) and taking the Cedar Island Ferry,but couldn't find a reasonable,acceptable place to stay and the ferry ride was too long to try and do it all in one day and come back home. I love lighthouses and was VERY happy to see all four in the area and that was well worth the trip. We plan to go back to Nags Head and do the Jockey Ridge State Park and the Wild Horses Tour. A friend told us that the fall was a good time to do that. We would never go back to Hatteras and Ocracoke though now that we've gotten the number 1 beach thing and the lighthouses out of our system. It's just not worth it.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:50 AM

Lover Of Animals: try and stay at Ramada Inn Nags head. It's very good.
Nags Head Hotel | Ramada Plaza Nags Head Beach | Kill Devil Hills, NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina