Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 10:45 AM

1,531 posts, read 2,419,967 times

Advertisements

I know what my retirement income (SS, Pension and IRA) will be but not sure of what it will cost me to run a 2,100 - 2,700 sq ft free standing home in a SJP, OR, ST type plantation. Figuring an HOA of $700-900 how about some other numbers from those in the know:

Home Owners Insurance:
Other home insurance (flood, wind):
Water:
Sewer:
Auto insurance for two late model cars:
Yearly auto registration:
Cable (HBO, Showtime):
Regular gas in Brunswick County:
Electric:
Gas:
Taxes:
Other:

I am assuming that these costs in total will be less than what I pay here in PA where my sewer bill just tripled. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 12:27 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
Figuring an HOA of $700-900 how about some other numbers from those in the know:
Other:
One variable is the HOA fee and/or country club fees. The SJP HOA fee is around $700, but if you join the golf club to use the pool or tennis, there are mandatory food minimums. I would chart all this out on a spread sheet before I conclude that it is cheaper to live in a Brunswick County plantation.

Another factor that is hard to predict is homeowners insurance. Ours is significantly higher than it was in Maryland, eg we pay $2400 in Sneads Ferry versus $800 in Maryland. Our cable is at least the same or higher than it was in Maryland. Our water bill is much higher. Sewer charges are higher than they were in Maryland, as I understand from neighbors. We have a septic tank.

I paid $80 annual car tax on a 2008 car, and about $48 registration. My auto insurance is about the same, even though I drive less than 5000 mile/year.

While our property taxes are significantly lower, other things are about the same. I attribute the cost of sewer and water as the price of growth being spread over a smaller population.

I hope someone else can help you with the specifics of ORP or ST. I think it is safe to assume you will not have major savings on many items.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:42 PM

While we have a larger house and a different electric company, I would budget about $200/month for electricity during the summer, as high as $190 for electric heat in the winter, and about $90 in the off-season for miscellaneous electricity. We don't have natural gas service , so no figures.

On thing we think is worthwhile is having your own well for irrigation water. We spent $90-120/month for irrigation water when we were establishing the lawn. Since we live in a community which requires us to have an irrigation system, the well is a worthwhile investment.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:47 AM

15 posts, read 26,698 times
Even if my new Real Estate taxes down NC are 3000k a year i will be saving some 12 k a year as I am spending around 15k a year in Monmouth County.

Not a math whiz kid but i feel i will be saving some cash when I move down....

Won't have to pay the 655.00 a month Ferry to commute to downtown NYC as well.........

No more suits, no more dress shirts and ties, no more 300.00 shoes, no more 12.00 lunches on a good day.

the list will go on and on and on and on and on............................

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
One variable is the HOA fee and/or country club fees. The SJP HOA fee is around $700, but if you join the golf club to use the pool or tennis, there are mandatory food minimums. I would chart all this out on a spread sheet before I conclude that it is cheaper to live in a Brunswick County plantation.

Another factor that is hard to predict is homeowners insurance. Ours is significantly higher than it was in Maryland, eg we pay $2400 in Sneads Ferry versus $800 in Maryland. Our cable is at least the same or higher than it was in Maryland. Our water bill is much higher. Sewer charges are higher than they were in Maryland, as I understand from neighbors. We have a septic tank.

I paid $80 annual car tax on a 2008 car, and about $48 registration. My auto insurance is about the same, even though I drive less than 5000 mile/year.

While our property taxes are significantly lower, other things are about the same. I attribute the cost of sewer and water as the price of growth being spread over a smaller population.

I hope someone else can help you with the specifics of ORP or ST. I think it is safe to assume you will not have major savings on many items.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:38 AM

605 posts, read 1,259,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fed up in nj View Post
Even if my new Real Estate taxes down NC are 3000k a year i will be saving some 12 k a year as I am spending around 15k a year in Monmouth County.

Not a math whiz kid but i feel i will be saving some cash when I move down....

Won't have to pay the 655.00 a month Ferry to commute to downtown NYC as well.........

No more suits, no more dress shirts and ties, no more 300.00 shoes, no more 12.00 lunches on a good day.

the list will go on and on and on and on and on............................
Yep, I'm with ya! Golden Age, you don't realize how EXPENSIVE NJ really really is!! I was paying close to $8000 a year for four cars to insurance (my hubby's, mine, and two college age children) plus we are at $15,000 a year for property tax and we are in SOUTH Jersey which is supposed to be cheaper than Monmouth County. And, my irrigation for the sprinklers for the lawn in the summer runs $200-$300 a month. Yep, no matter how you look at it, we will be ahead in NC!!

Old 11-11-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
And, my irrigation for the sprinklers for the lawn in the summer runs $200-$300 a month. Yep, no matter how you look at it, we will be ahead in NC!!
Yikes! I see what you mean.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:12 AM

Just got the car insurance bill. We pay $720/year for two 5-year old autos. Hubby just traded his car for a 4-wheel drive SUV he can drive on the beach to go surf fishing.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:14 PM

605 posts, read 1,259,567 times
Now that my son is 25, our insurance will drop some, and, after finding out I can get something called New Jersey Manufacturers insurance from a collective group my firm belongs to - my insurance will now drop to $4500 a year - yikes! I am practically getting it for FREE!! hee hee

Old 11-13-2013, 01:25 PM

15 posts, read 26,698 times
Oh yea, I will be drinking Imports versus Domestic Beer once I get outta here too.......

Everyone should live in the "Garden State" for awhile to see how good they really have it.
Oh yea, in the summer each beach badge cost 100 bucks a piece so no longer have to pay 400.00 every summer to sit wall to wall with many undesireables from surrounding areas. It used to be called the Irish Riveria. Them days long over Buckeroos!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-14-2013, 05:03 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
It really depends on what type of crops you intend to plant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina