Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 09:54 AM

7 posts, read 18,230 times

Advertisements

I have been "stalking" this forum for a long time and finally bit the bullet and jumped in! What a great source of info! Hubby and I just returned from a "look see" trip to coastal NC thinking possibly of a second home and came home wanting to move there year round. Most of our focus was Brunswick Forest and St. James Plantation. Loved both but ruled out SJP because of distance to Wilmington, which we loved. I know 30 minutes is not a lot but it's too far for us. We come from a small town in PA and are looking for more options, not less.

That said, I'd love to hear from BF residents about what they like/don't like about living there. Some specifics:
Golf: We both like to play. Are there plenty of options and can you play relatively cheaply, like $30?

Tennis: I can't play on hard courts. Any clay/hardtru courts available nearby with an organized tennis program?

Community: BF seemed kinda quiet when we were there, although it was just for a day. Do people participate in sports and activities and is it easy to meet people? We are coming down knowing no one. I'm soon to be 60 and hubby a bit older, but we are both still working (have our own business that we would move down).

Traffic: Read a lot about traffic in and out of Wilmington being really bad, although that is all relative to what you're used to, i.e Philly and DC (yuk!). We totally didn't see any bad traffic but we were there in Nov. Are summer months much much worse? How long to the beach in the summer months?

We found the Wilmington area to be fantastic and the people super friendly. If there are any other plantations other than BF you think we should check out please let us know. Feel free to PM me as well. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 05:07 PM

149 posts, read 596,503 times
Some plantations worth checking out near Brunswick Forest are Compass Pointe and Magnolia Greens. All 3 are a bit different from the others and it is a question of personal preference which you might like most. There is some traffic in Wilmington at rush hour and in the summer on weekends but much less than DC, Phil., NJ/NY. There are a few beaches you can reach in 30 to 40 min. If you do not want to join your plantation golf club, you can purchase a 'first tee card' for $100 that allows you to play a number of local courses (including some very nice ones) for $25 including cart.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:14 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
I would have the same recommendations as Steve_d_bear: Compass Pointe and Magnolia Greens. Both are relatively close to Wilmington, and both have golf. Magnolia Greens is almost built out, but the resales are a good deal.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:49 AM

638 posts, read 2,244,111 times
My parents bought a retirement home in Brunswick Forest and they love it. I have visited several times and I enjoy how peaceful it is.

The only thing that strikes me negatively is how everyone is in your business there. Just walking my moms dog down the street people will come up to you and ask who you are. Like you don't belong there or something. Other than that, the place is great. My folks have made a lot of friends and there are activities and things for them to do.
I would not mind moving to the area myself and get out of the craziness of the Northeast.

Traffic is no big deal there except getting over the bridge into Wilmington. That can back up at times, but nothing like what you'd see in DC or Philly.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:32 AM

7 posts, read 18,230 times
Thanks for the great responses. One of my concerns with BF is the potential of growing pains if it keeps growing as fast is it seems to be. Will the amenities keep up with the population or will they have overcrowding issues. We still really liked it but will definitely check out nearby alternatives.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:23 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound54 View Post
Will the amenities keep up with the population or will they have overcrowding issues.
Overcrowding would also be my concern about Brunswick Forest. I have been told the facilities are complete now. With one clubhouse and the existing pools to serve 3500 projected homes there definitely would be overcrowding. However, please check with the developer if they plan additional facilities.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:26 AM

37 posts, read 127,152 times
Will be touring Brunswick tomorrow, will be asking about future facilities planned among other questions. We now live in CT and winters are not what we want anymore. Only thing very confusing to me are all the different communities and builders. Will be checking out convenience of eating places, shopping and etc.

Old 08-13-2014, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,810 times
Default BF Resident

You will love Brunswick Forest, it is the fastest growing community, and is only about 10 mins to Wilmington, NC. The things we love the best are the hiking and biking trails that go all around the neighborhood. The activities abound, and we particularly love the concerts in the park which occur in the summer months. Everyone brings lawn chairs, food, and its a huge social event; dancing available if you want to. The best thing about the amenities are that you can participate or not. The Olympic size pool is great, and the exercise classes are top-notch. Something for all ages. The best value is in resale homes for sale. We purchased one that was in great shape, but barely used, and undermarket priced. It is easy to meet new friends, as new people are moving in all the time. You need to check it out, if you ask the residents, they will all tell you they love it, and you will have many northerners as neighbors.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,728 times
Which community did you choose to live in?

Old 08-15-2014, 01:54 PM

99 posts, read 243,546 times
Loved Brunswick Forrest, visited several times and stayed on site. We almost bought in BFP. We are building in Winding River Plantation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina