Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 10:46 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Is there some subliminal message in every picture of Eastern Carolina, that tells people that the living is cheap, the air is clear, and there's no crime at all?

If Eastern Carolina was really a Shangri-La, wouldn't there be a whole lot more people here?

Expectations of earning $25k a year with children isn't going to get you anywhere here but into some Section 8 housing, an EBT card, and Medicaid for health insurance.

Good post. In addition to Richard's advice, a $25,000 year income in Ohio, depending on your skills in your current job, most likely will be less in NC, IF you can find an equivalent job. FL will actually be more expensive for utilities and lower paying jobs. OP needs to come down to earth and do a lot of research before making any leap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 11:24 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,861,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrated84 View Post
I just had to add to this in saying that Ohio is DEF not cheaper than NC. I've found some gorgeous houses for rent anywhere between 850-1100. In Ohio in a decent area you will not find a house for that & if you do its a dump. The only cheap housing in Ohio is in the ghetto. The only thing I liked better about Ohio was no tax on food.
Really? Ohio was one of the states DH and I considered when we started researching moving out of NC for when he got out of the Marine Corps (our final 3 states were Ohio, Missouri and Tennessee). From my research and visits to OH, I found it to be a lot cheaper than coastal NC.

As for housing, if you look at a Cost of Living Calculator (I double checked, just in case things had dramatically changed in the 18 months since we'd considered Ohio), housing in Cincinnati for instance is 57% of the national average while Wilmington is 95% of the national average. Cleveland housing, on the other hand is 31% of the national average.

When DH and I were renting in Jacksonville, we found prices to be outrageously expensive, although prices were inflated due to military BAH in that area. There is no way you could get a gorgeous house for $850/mo. The first house I lived in, in Jacksonville back in 2008 was a 2 bed, 2 bath townhome that was very 'cheap' looking and ordinary inside, and that was $850 even back then.

I think the OP will also find that her wage might be lower in NC. Ohio has a slightly higher minimum wage (7.85 compared to NC's 7.25).

Old 01-03-2014, 11:52 AM

51 posts, read 82,840 times
You can research til your face falls off, I lived in Ohio my entire life up until this past Summer. I'm not sure where your researching but it's def false.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:05 PM

All I know is when living in a suburb of Cleveland, my fiance and I were paying 900 for a decent apt. We are moving to Wilmington in June, already have our house and will be paying about 1050 a month. This house is new and beautiful. In Ohio I have ton of friends paying 950 to 1000 a month for small old houses in less than great neighborhoods. Yes there may be a difference in overall cost of living, but when comparing the bang for your buck in rentals, NC has it all over Ohio. Ohio is a very depressing state and the winters are unbearable. Now I know not all of coastal Carolina is cheap due to the fact that its on the "coast" but overall you will find cheaper rent than Ohio.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:15 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times
My daughter is finishing her first week in NEW YORK CITY. Yes, the rent is horrendous, but all she can talk about is how much cheaper the food is, in the City, than in Eastern NC.

Talking about food you buy in the store, and most restaurants, not the big deal placed in Manhattan. Just basic food cost have astounded her.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:15 PM

When it all comes down to it, there is no such thing as a dream town or everyone would live there. Every state has it's highs and lows. Gas is cheaper in the south and things like cigarettes, etc. You just have to pick what suits you.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:54 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
With the harsh winter the North and Midwest are having, I suspect the coast of NC will have a lot of dreaming wanna be's. Can hardly blame them!

There is no Eden, but we find living here delightful. Jobs are tough to find, though, and flood and wind and hail insurance can be pricey. But hold on to the dream...it can happen. Hope yours does.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:27 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Talking about food you buy in the store, and most restaurants, not the big deal placed in Manhattan. Just basic food cost have astounded her.
I was gonna say. I've spent some time in Manhattan and it is very pricey. Carnagie's makes a killer corned beef but I could feed 3 people at B's for what one sandwich costs there.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:41 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
For those dreaming of warmer climes, Eastern NC will be basking in 18 degree (and colder) temps this coming Monday night according to weather.com...shiver me timbers, mateys...

Old 01-04-2014, 02:06 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaOf3_2014 View Post
Hello! I'm Tara from Ohio, young mom of 3, first time on the forum.....Anyways I do have a low income, right around 25,000$ a year so I do need something nice that I can afford, and a place with low crime rate if none at all! I want a safe place to raise my kids!
I imagine we have scared off Tara somewhat.

However, I still need to mention that Eastern North Carolina has plenty of crime. It ain't Paradise, and Tara needs to adjust her expectations. There are many people who have decided that manufacturing and selling drugs is better than working at minimum wage jobs. Every night on the TV news we hear about busts of meth labs and drive-by shootings involving drug deals gone bad. In my small town, a guy held up the drug store and got away with hundreds of pain pills which he intended to sell. There was even a double homicide on North Topsail Beach where two men were stabbed over a love triangle.

However, if one lives a quiet, drug-free life, one is usually safe in Eastern NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina