Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2008, 03:10 PM

11 posts, read 27,298 times

Advertisements

I am looking to relocate and I have narrowed down a few places such as Beaufort,Carteret, and Swansboro. If you know anything about these areas please enlighten me. Below is a list of some information that could help me before I visit and feel free to add anything I may have forgotten.

Safe?
Employment?
Congestion?
Beach within 20 minutes?
Small town feel?
Cost of living Low? High?

Thank You,
Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 05:59 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Lisa,

All the places you mentioned would fulfill the small town feel, nearby beaches and the safety... some congestion during the summer months but nothing compared to big-city
rush hour traffic...as far as expensive or low-cost, compared to what? Compared to NYC, Boston or San Francisco, low-cost..compared to Mountain View, Missouri, more costly.

You might go to Sperling's Best Places Web site (Google it to find URL). You can key in your current hometown and compare it to your new proposed town and see how they compare for cost of living in various categories...they also compare air quality.

Now employment...depends on your area of specialization....you might find openings in banking, medical/nursing, teaching, tourism...best to keep in mind the towns you named are are small towns, not heavy in big corporations...if you telecommute, you'll find this corner of the world might be your little slice of heaven...

Hoped this helps,

Hugs,

Little Dolphin,
your scribe

Old 07-06-2008, 07:32 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,629 times
Smile Answers to some of your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinpa9973 View Post
I am looking to relocate and I have narrowed down a few places such as Beaufort,Carteret, and Swansboro. If you know anything about these areas please enlighten me. Below is a list of some information that could help me before I visit and feel free to add anything I may have forgotten.

Safe?
Employment?
Congestion?
Beach within 20 minutes?
Small town feel?
Cost of living Low? High?

Thank You,
Lisa
Lisa,

We live in Cape Carteret which is in the cluster of small towns in western Carteret County/eastern Onslow County that includes Cedar Point, Emerald Isle, and Swansboro.

Swansboro has the most traditional downtown with a cluster of mostly older homes around it. There are lots of new homes close to the downtown area.

Cedar Point and Cape Carteret are both growing rapidly for this area. It is nothing like the growth you would see during Charlotte or Raleigh.

Emerald Isle is the beach town in the area, but it has a lot of fulltime residents compared to many beach towns.

We have very little traffic congestion and what we have is in the weeks just before and just after the fourth of July. Sometimes for thirty minutes on Saturday and Sunday afternoon, the bridge to Emerald Isle is clogged for a few minutes.

We left our home at 5:10 pm, the peak of traffic on July 3rd. It took us the normal five minutes to the intersection of highway 24 with highway 58. That is just before the Emerald Isle bridge. It then took us eighteen minutes to travel the 3.2 miles to the center of Emerald Isle. When we came back at 7 pm, the same trip only took 8 minutes or ten minutes less. The ten minutes difference hardly qualifies as a traffic jam but it is almost as bad as we see it. We have seen the bridge traffic take thirty minutes if there is an accident, but that doesn't happen very often.

Homes in our area are close to the beach, usually it takes less ten minutes from home to walking on the beach. Just zoom in two or three times and you can see the location of my favorite beaches.

There are jobs, but they don't pay as well as in the larger cities. Many are service related jobs. Unemployment is low, I believe just over 4%.

We find the cost of living low here because property taxes are very reasonable and more than cover the more expensive home insurance costs.

Carteret County is growing and you read the positive news about the county in this article about the County's AA bond rating.

Our utility costs are also less than in Roanoke, Va but car insurance is a little more and responds very rapidly to getting tickets. That's a NC thing.

Groceries are similar in cost to what we found in Roanoke, Va. Gasoline costs a little more, but I will take that compared to deadlock on new roads in Va.

We find Food Lion the most reasonably priced of the local grocery stores, though we also shop at Lowe's Foods and even Piggly Wiggly. There is a new Harris Teeter coming to Morehead City. Walmart is available in Jacksonville and Morehead City. There's a SAM's in Jacksonville. Walmart was scheduled to open in Cedar Point in 2008, but postponed the start of construction due to the economy.

I have written articles about my reasons for living here, the small town feel of the area and about why I love where I live.

Here are some recent slides that I took in the area during the week of July 3.

The first slide is Swansboro at sunset. Last year I kept a diary about my first year on the Crystal Coast. It gives you a pretty good feel of Cape Carteret and the area events.

Last edited by dsobotta; 07-06-2008 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: misspelled word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina