Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 06:05 PM

35 posts, read 39,992 times

Advertisements

Hello! I have posted awhile back about recommendations on areas in coastal NC. My husband and I have two small kids..and we really do enjoy quiet living, but not TOO far away from everything. We lived in Jacksonville for a few years so we are pretty familiar with that area..We are definitely looking to rent for now..so buying a home really isnt an issue now. He is currently a diesel mechanic, so we would prefer an area with good job market. We are going back down to NC this week for vacation so i would love to hear of any safe, great areas that we could check out while we are there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 06:09 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
I'd suggest the Wilmington area.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'd suggest the Wilmington area.

I hung out in downtown Wilmington a few years back...i never really explored the outskirts though. Are there any good neighborhoods around there? My friend lives in Leland and thats as far as I know of that area.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxobellavida View Post
I hung out in downtown Wilmington a few years back...i never really explored the outskirts though. Are there any good neighborhoods around there? My friend lives in Leland and thats as far as I know of that area.
Wilmington itself has some great neighborhoods, especially the area south of Oleander, east of S. College and north of Piner.

The HampsteadTopsail area is very popular and has good schools.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Wilmington itself has some great neighborhoods, especially the area south of Oleander, east of S. College and north of Piner.

The HampsteadTopsail area is very popular and has good schools.
Im glad you mentioned Topsail! Its our favorite beach. How is Sneads Ferry? We have driven through but never stopped to look around.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Im glad you mentioned Topsail! Its our favorite beach. How is Sneads Ferry? We have driven through but never stopped to look around.
I meant to write "Hampstead/Topsail area". There is frequent poster, goldenage, who lives in Sneads Ferry and hopefully will chime in because she is much more familiar with SF than I am. Its much closer to Jacksonville than Wilmington, and I think most job opportunities would be in J'ville. The job market is more vibrant in Wilmington, so my advise would be to get closer to it.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:21 PM

98 posts, read 129,059 times
If you have small kids id suggest researching the Onslow county schools (Sneads ferry). Very transient area due to military influence. The ratings are not the best. There are many great areas of Wilmington not just the local mentioned above. Northern wilm is growing like crazy. The couple trouble spots are easier to name the good areas.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:40 PM

We lived in Jacksonvile for a few years (prior military)..but this was before we had kids. I always knew the onslow school district was kind of iffy, just by hearing from friends. I really love the New Bern area..i lived in Maysville for a few months and HATED it..it was way too far from things and i always had random people in my yard at night... How is Swansboro? Any other areas up that way?

Old 07-26-2017, 06:56 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
We lived in Jacksonvile for a few years (prior military)..but this was before we had kids. I always knew the onslow school district was kind of iffy, just by hearing from friends....... How is Swansboro? Any other areas up that way?
Swansboro is a nice town, but the schools get mediocre ratings. Sneads Ferry really is a military town without enough amenities. The elementary school may be OK, but the middle and high schools have average ratings. It is safe and less expensive than some areas, but I would not consider it "great".

If you want the best rated schools and a lot of amenities, I think you should stick with Wilmington or Hampstead.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:32 PM

360 posts, read 372,379 times
I like Raleigh, there are many companies to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina