Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 02:06 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,765,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanJ44 View Post
HP91 - yeah, that's what I ended up doing but it took so long to walk out there and walk back I was at the actual beach for about 5 minutes and wow do my feet and knees hurt today.

ERH - I live in Raleigh. And if you can afford kids, no wonder you can afford parking. I can't afford anything. Pretty soon only rich people will have oxygen and drinking water the way things are going.

You see that shark attack up the coast a day or two ago? Know what you aren't supposed to do? Swim at dawn or dusk. Know how much negative publicity a shark attack on Wrightsville Beach would mean to the town? You better believe if I am dragged out of the water bleeding after a shark attack at dawn or dusk - because the town makes it impossible to go there at any other time with their parking fee schedule - that I will cost the town more than they could get from the fees or fines.
Just cough up the $2.50 or move to somewhere that is apparently what you want: Free access to beaches at all times, affordable living, etc. - some of us that live on a budget realize the limitations and don't rail against "the system" for things that are to be reasonably expected. It is what it is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 02:57 PM

275 posts, read 232,277 times
Quote:
I made it through last year by parking every evening along Pelican Drive and walking the 20 minutes to the beach. The signs last year for parking along Pelican Drive were "6pm". I get here this year and they have changed every single sign to now be "7pm" meaning it is now impossible to find any parking at all prior to that time once you get across the drawbridge. That 1 hour change means I won't be able to go to Wrightsville beach in the evening anymore.

Is anyone familiar with the other area beaches? From what I can tell, Carolina Beach - which I am not interested in, appears even more insane if the enforcement hours I found are correct. What about the other area beaches? Free parking anywhere anymore? I might have to buy a bike I guess.
Oak Island doesn't charge for parking.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:58 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,691 times
Quote:
HP91 - yeah, that's what I ended up doing but it took so long to walk out there and walk back I was at the actual beach for about 5 minutes and wow do my feet and knees hurt today.

ERH - I live in Raleigh. And if you can afford kids, no wonder you can afford parking. I can't afford anything. Pretty soon only rich people will have oxygen and drinking water the way things are going.

You see that shark attack up the coast a day or two ago? Know what you aren't supposed to do? Swim at dawn or dusk. Know how much negative publicity a shark attack on Wrightsville Beach would mean to the town? You better believe if I am dragged out of the water bleeding after a shark attack at dawn or dusk - because the town makes it impossible to go there at any other time with their parking fee schedule - that I will cost the town more than they could get from the fees or fines.
Wow you are a piece of work. You literally stay out of this thread for over a year and you've brought it back just to complain some more...threatening to take legal action against a town because of a choice YOU make just to get out of a $3 an hour parking rate? Give me a break.

I'm sorry, but if you have the money to drive to Wilmington, you have the money to pay for parking. Point blank. Period. Anything else you say otherwise is just wrong. You can budget the additional $3 into your travel costs before you go. If you can't afford the fee, don't go. There are just some things you can't do for free and places you can't go for free and you just have to accept that. You've known about this change in parking for *at least* a year. How have you not budgeted the $3 or $6 or $9 you would need to be able to enjoy yourself at the beach for a couple of hours, especially since the fee is such a big issue for you?

Just find another beach or don't go. Parking and walking 20 minutes to the beach just to avoid paying $3 is asinine.

There are plenty of parks in the Raleigh area you can go to for FREE to be in front of some water and relax.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:14 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,853,825 times
There are plenty of beaches you can go for free and park...even in New Hanover County.

Wrightsville is the most expensive and most developed and has the biggest parking issues, hence the $3 parking fee. Premium parking comes at a price.

Fort Fisher is free...State owned. Cost you another $10 to drive down there and back...so Wrightsville actually is saving you money.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:40 AM

400 posts, read 527,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Wow you are a piece of work. You literally stay out of this thread for over a year and you've brought it back just to complain some more...threatening to take legal action against a town because of a choice YOU make just to get out of a $3 an hour parking rate? Give me a break.

I'm sorry, but if you have the money to drive to Wilmington, you have the money to pay for parking. Point blank. Period. Anything else you say otherwise is just wrong. You can budget the additional $3 into your travel costs before you go. If you can't afford the fee, don't go. There are just some things you can't do for free and places you can't go for free and you just have to accept that. You've known about this change in parking for *at least* a year. How have you not budgeted the $3 or $6 or $9 you would need to be able to enjoy yourself at the beach for a couple of hours, especially since the fee is such a big issue for you?

Just find another beach or don't go. Parking and walking 20 minutes to the beach just to avoid paying $3 is asinine.

There are plenty of parks in the Raleigh area you can go to for FREE to be in front of some water and relax.
So many inaccuracies in one posting I had to think about whether it was worth the time to point them all out.

1. I did not "stay out of the thread". I kept checking until this year. There were no changes to the Town's parking website that reflected the change I pointed out in my post - which is a big one from last year.

2. I did not bring it back just to complain. I brought it back to ask the questions that I asked. If you didn't have the answers, why waste time flaunting your poor reading comprehension skills?

3. I did not threaten to take legal action against any town or anyone else. My posting mentioned publicity.

4. The location I parked along Pelican was never a pay-to-park area so the cost per hour was never relevant. It is the change in the time from 6pm to 7pm that is the reason for this year's problem and the reason I posted the new questions.

5. The drive down here does not cost me anything. If it did, I wouldn't make the trip. So I have no "travel costs" - that was yet another incorrect (and irrelevant) assumption on your part.

6. I have not known about the changes for "at least a year". As I have now pointed out several times, this change happened between the time I left last year at the end of October and now. The change is not reflected anywhere on any of the news reports, articles or anywhere else so I could not have known about it until I arrived and saw they had covered up the "6pm" that was in place last fall with "7pm" now.

7.If you think that parking and walking 20 minutes to avoid $3 is asinine, then you and I have nothing in common. When you are as poor as I am, there are things that you just never pay for -it isn't even a question. Wifi, water and parking are among them. But all of that, too, is totally missing the point of my posting - it has nothing to do with how much the parking costs - it could be $1 an hour.......it could be $30 an hour....that does not matter. I am talking ONLY about the time restrictions and the change from last year to this year.

8. I am not searching for a place with water to relax. I need the beach. I think you are missing the entire point of the posting. Having come to Wrightsville Beach for 20 years, it is the recent change in the towns parking restrictions and those changes' impact on anyone other than the rich elitist snobs (like you?) who come up with the new restrictions - that is the point of the posting.

Last edited by DeanJ44; 06-05-2019 at 07:56 AM..

Old 06-05-2019, 08:10 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
Quote:
5. The drive down here does not cost me anything. If it did, I wouldn't make the trip. So I have no "travel costs" - that was yet another incorrect (and irrelevant) assumption on your part.
I am curious. Can you clarify about how the drive down doesn't cost you anything? Is someone else paying for the gas?

Quote:
8. I am not searching for a place with water to relax. I need the beach.
Not sure about "needing" the beach, but if so, there are many many many other beaches in NC besides Wrightsville. Do you "need" Wrightsville in particular?

Old 06-05-2019, 05:47 PM

This is the weirdest crap I've ever heard of.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:16 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,853,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John NC View Post
This is the weirdest crap I've ever heard of.
Is it? People complain every day that they cant do things "like they used to". There is a huge segment of our society that whine and moan about things changing.

That's all this is. He did something for 20 years so he feels entitled... he should be able to continue on his terms. Getting madder and madder when he cant get his way.

No different than a spoiled child. There are tons of spoiled adults these days.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Is it? People complain every day that they cant do things "like they used to". There is a huge segment of our society that whine and moan about things changing.

That's all this is. He did something for 20 years so he feels entitled... he should be able to continue on his terms. Getting madder and madder when he cant get his way.

No different than a spoiled child. There are tons of spoiled adults these days.
True, but there are so many strange undercurrents to this one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina