Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 06:42 AM

61 posts, read 68,690 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Wilmington from Chicago. I love it here so much, but I am dying for some specific Polish and Eastern European groceries. There are Polish shops and delis everywhere in Chicago with amazing hot lunches, plus plenty of imported goods.

Why aren't there more European people in this area? I am really surprised to see that there are almost no immigrants from the Germanic or Slavic areas of Europe. It's been very difficult tracking things down like Acacia honey or rosehip jam. I know Publix had a few things in their international section, but it's not even the tip of the iceberg compared to a good Polish shop.

If anyone knows of any European shops nearby I'd love to hear about them!! And please tell your European friends to move here and set up shop :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2018, 06:57 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,385,922 times
Wilmington is relatively small city in NC, without any sort of business base or cultural ties to the germanic or slavic areas of europe. I'm not sure why you find the lack of european grocery stores surprising.

Have you tried World Market in Mayfair? They have the largest selection of european grocery items that I have seen in Wilmington, although lots of it is british. Or, you might want to hop over the bridge and visit Piggly Wiggly in Leland. Think of it as an ethnic food store for native southerners, lol.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:00 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,221,847 times
It's the south, man. You can't get decent Chinese food around here, either.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:30 AM

805 posts, read 2,005,447 times
A bit of a ride but nice place, good food / grocery items .... https://www.pulaski-deli.com/

Old 06-17-2018, 09:21 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,385,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Double Happiness is pretty good.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:47 AM

644 posts, read 670,879 times
sahd0w - I feel your pain! Suburban Chicago transplant here although I live in Hendersonville, not Wilmington - and there are surely adjustments to be made. Have you checked Amazon? For the few things that I just can't find or substitute, many can be found there. Now if only there was some grocery with Connie's frozen pizza..... :-D

Old 06-17-2018, 10:46 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
There are gobs and gobs and gobs of people of European ancestry in Wilmington, but they're of British and Scottish ancestry not Polish. Polish and Slavic people never came here in great numbers. Lots of British and Scottish people did before the American Revolution, though. I have read that North Carolina has more people who claim Scottish ancestry than anywhere in the world including Scotland! Not sure if it's true or not. Welcome to Wrightsville Beach Magazine

If you look for it you can still find lots of Scottish influence, certainly in the place names (Airlie Gardens is one example), but also in some customs, language (we say "reckon" which is also still in common use in the UK) and foods (we boil a lot of things in the South).

Old 06-17-2018, 11:41 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,426,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
There are gobs and gobs and gobs of people of European ancestry in Wilmington, but they're of British and Scottish ancestry not Polish. Polish and Slavic people never came here in great numbers. Lots of British and Scottish people did before the American Revolution, though. I have read that North Carolina has more people who claim Scottish ancestry than anywhere in the world including Scotland! Not sure if it's true or not. Welcome to Wrightsville Beach Magazine

If you look for it you can still find lots of Scottish influence, certainly in the place names (Airlie Gardens is one example), but also in some customs, language (we say "reckon" which is also still in common use in the UK) and foods (we boil a lot of things in the South).
I've heard that. The rumor is because NC, especially the western part, looked like home.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:08 PM

183 posts, read 287,503 times
Maybe there are sources of polish foods that would ship an order to you. Try a web search of the specific items that you would like to get.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:10 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,735,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellise View Post
Barney told Andy, “You can gat good Chinese in Raleigh.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina