Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2022, 09:52 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
.....It would be helpful to know if the OP could consider a townhouse, duplex or condo, instead of a SFH...
If the OP was interested in a duplex townhouse about 1400 SF, there are attractive opportunities in a new part of Brunswick Forest. This is the Heron Pointe neighborhood by DR Horton. The developer is building a new amenity center in the neighborhood, and BF already has well-developed golf and kayaking facilities. If the OP could increase their budget, there are also single family homes about 1700 SF in the mid $400K range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2022, 11:42 AM

17 posts, read 16,432 times
We bought in Sea Trail last year and never looked back. We love it... The market however, as others have hinted is crazy. When a house or condo is listed, that is only the Starting price, most sell in just a couple of days and for considerably over asking... The market like I said is nuts.... Brunswick Plantation is very nice, but there is a lot of flooding... Seems like there are a lot of Condos going up for sale there on a regular basis, which makes one a little suspicious. Crows Creek seems Nic as does Sand Piper...

Old 03-10-2022, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumberthanasmartphone View Post
We bought in Sea Trail last year and never looked back. We love it... The market however, as others have hinted is crazy. ....
I see that the only houses currently for sale in Sea Trail are luxury townhomes with elevators starting about $480K. What do you think of them?
I think that Crow Creek might be good for the OP to look at also.

Old 03-10-2022, 09:03 PM

405 posts, read 317,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
Following. We are looking to rent, then explore. Paid a visit to St James, Winding River and Brunswick Plantation back in 2017.....wife liked Brunswick, then it flooded pretty bad during a storm, so we pulled back a little.

Are you familiar with the term “global warming” ? Southeastern North Carolina is very prone to rising sea levels and “sunny day flooding” due to its low elevation. It’s only going to get worse over the next few years. The good news is that St. James Plantation might become ocean front property in 5 years.

Old 03-11-2022, 04:46 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,378,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post
Are you familiar with the term “global warming” ? Southeastern North Carolina is very prone to rising sea levels and “sunny day flooding” due to its low elevation. It’s only going to get worse over the next few years. The good news is that St. James Plantation might become ocean front property in 5 years.
I do watch the FEMA Flood Zones and look do be a distance away from any area of flooding, last thing anyone needs is to buy today near a flood zone, only to have that map change and your insurance rises significantly. My understanding is that Leland is something to keep an eye on because of lower elevation than Wilmington.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:14 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Lots of areas of SE NC are a flood zone if a hurricane comes and hangs out for awhile. This is the fire department hosing dead fish off I-40 near Wallace, which is about 35 miles from the beach as the crow flies (50 miles as the car drives), after Hurricane Florence. https://abc11.com/dead-fish-intersta...oding/4315447/

Old 03-11-2022, 09:24 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,378,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Lots of areas of SE NC are a flood zone if a hurricane comes and hangs out for awhile. This is the fire department hosing dead fish off I-40 near Wallace, which is about 35 miles from the beach as the crow flies (50 miles as the car drives), after Hurricane Florence. https://abc11.com/dead-fish-intersta...oding/4315447/
From what I've heard, most of the flooding from Florence was more inland due to Rivers overrunning thier banks. My brother in Calabash, or Nephew in Sunset Beach (.9 from the beach) have never experienced flooding in the 7 years they have been there, not saying it won't happen, just need to watch Flood Zones and prperty hieght above sea level.

Old 03-11-2022, 09:59 AM

We were trapped in Wallace when I-40 flooded. Part of the problem is that I-40 was not elevated sufficiently above river crossings. Perhaps the builders cut corners.
For potential Brunswick Plantation residents, most lots should be OK. You can check potential flooding from the map in the Realtor listing. Personally, I think the new construction in BP is far enough away from the flood zones that I would not worry about it.

Old 03-11-2022, 10:39 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
From what I've heard, most of the flooding from Florence was more inland due to Rivers overrunning thier banks. My brother in Calabash, or Nephew in Sunset Beach (.9 from the beach) have never experienced flooding in the 7 years they have been there, not saying it won't happen, just need to watch Flood Zones and prperty hieght above sea level.
There was a lot of flooding in Brunswick County during Hurricane Florence. When you get 30 inches of rain falling in one storm you don't need to be near a river to flood. Wilmington (in New Hanover County) was completely cut off from the rest of the state and was only accessible by air or boat. Personally I would want my house to be elevated if I lived down there.

Check out https://fris.nc.gov/ for Flood Risk assessments.

https://www.wmbfnews.com/story/39149...n-under-water/

https://www.wral.com/brunswick-count...nce-/17990236/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina