Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2022, 07:24 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,726,984 times

Advertisements

Living at the beach is quite different than vacationing there. Keep your eyes open!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2022, 11:45 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,039 times
Definitely do your research.. We live in Ocean Ridge Plantation and we have a beach house in Sunset Beach.. There is a building boom going on now and they expect to build close to 5000 homes within a 7 mile or less radius of us. It will be very crowded to say the least. God help us if we have a major hurricane. No where for the water to run off.

Beautiful living down here but the anticipated growth is scarey.

Old 09-16-2022, 02:27 PM

176 posts, read 239,231 times
biscman- totally agree with you! Construction is out of hand and the infrastructure of many of these cute coastal towns does not support it. The influx of people coming here from all over the country is straining resources, and I am also worried about water run off. Even a good tropical storm can easily flood us. There is no longer an "off" season and traffic can be awful. And I really hate that all these new developers want to clear cut the land which is a huge pet peeve of mine. The older developments all wanted to preserve land and trees- not get rid of every single one. It's sad that greed seems to be the motto for new developers!! Oh well, I'll get off my soapbox now-lol

And to the OP, come down and look around. Usually one of the developments will "speak" to you more than others. Only you can decide what is more important to you. Whether it is closer to the beach, or closer to shopping, or any of the other variables. What we long time North Carolinas consider awful traffic is nothing to those who come from the Northeast. What we consider a long commute would be considered "around the corner" to many New Yorkers, DC area residents, and Philly area transplants. However, keep in mind that if you want to travel much at night, many of the roads are very dark.
Perhaps the subdivision that is "split in half" by a large road is River Bluffs in Castle Haynes? This is a gated community, but some of the amenities like tennis, pickleball, storage for boats and RVs are across over the highway. and not within the gates. Since you mentioned a boat you may want to take a look.Oh, and the 2022 HGTV Smart Home just came up for sale there today. Some homes/homesites are on the North Cape Fear river which has some nice boating. They also have a marina with very reasonably priced slips which are generally expensive and hard to come by here. I don't think there are as many New Jersey transplants as there are in Brunswick County. You also didn't mention Landfall in Wilmington which is a very nice gated community that you might want to take a look at.

Last edited by pinkjewel; 09-16-2022 at 02:44 PM..

Old 09-17-2022, 12:33 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,246,064 times
We have a home right outside of Greenville, Winterville, NC. Down the street almost from ECU where your adult child is going to school.

We moved back to NJ 7 yrs. ago bc our kids are all here & are moving to various NE States now.

I would check out the Pitt County area for sure away from the Coast. I would absolutely rent before committing to buying a home, especially down on the Coast..

Another tip! NC does not tax your retirement, SC does.

Old 09-17-2022, 01:01 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,405,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Definitely do your research.. We live in Ocean Ridge Plantation and we have a beach house in Sunset Beach.. There is a building boom going on now and they expect to build close to 5000 homes within a 7 mile or less radius of us. It will be very crowded to say the least. God help us if we have a major hurricane. No where for the water to run off.

Beautiful living down here but the anticipated growth is scarey.
I have no clue whats gonna happen when they finally get the major hurricane that area is overdue. I don't think most people are aware just how much of a risk that area is at.

Old 09-17-2022, 01:45 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
I have no clue whats gonna happen when they finally get the major hurricane that area is overdue. I don't think most people are aware just how much of a risk that area is at.
This environmental issue pertains to Leland. The risks of over-development has been recognized, particularly along Malmo Loop Road, which is across from the Compass Pointe development. Note that one resident states that Malmo Loop Road floods regularly. The Brunswick County Planning Board recently voted against a development there of nearly 5000 homes. It would have added 32,000 more car trip to 74/76 and I-140. It would have also require a new elementary school and an EMS/fire staton.

https://www.wect.com/2022/09/12/prop...nswick-county/

Old 09-18-2022, 12:34 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,783,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
We have a home right outside of Greenville, Winterville, NC. Down the street almost from ECU where your adult child is going to school.

We moved back to NJ 7 yrs. ago bc our kids are all here & are moving to various NE States now.

I would check out the Pitt County area for sure away from the Coast. I would absolutely rent before committing to buying a home, especially down on the Coast..

Another tip! NC does not tax your retirement, SC does.
North Carolina DOES tax your retirement income - 401k and IRA income are taxed at a flat rate (currently 5.25% but going down in the future). There are some government pensions that they do not tax, and they do not tax Social Security income.

https://www.kiplinger.com/retirement...es-on-retirees

Old 09-18-2022, 09:34 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,405,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
This environmental issue pertains to Leland. The risks of over-development has been recognized, particularly along Malmo Loop Road, which is across from the Compass Pointe development. Note that one resident states that Malmo Loop Road floods regularly. The Brunswick County Planning Board recently voted against a development there of nearly 5000 homes. It would have added 32,000 more car trip to 74/76 and I-140. It would have also require a new elementary school and an EMS/fire staton.

https://www.wect.com/2022/09/12/prop...nswick-county/

Has it? Check this out, a good amount in the significant flood threat zone was approved. Its not even the flooding, we are overdue a good wind hurricane. Fran being the last. Not sure how well it would all hold up if you get 8-10 inches of rain with 100+ mph winds gusting over 115+ . Florence was enough to shut Wilmy down for a while. In terms of whats favorable for a bad storm in this area ( cat 3 -4) they have been "lucky".

https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/wp...t-Updated-.pdf

Old 09-26-2022, 06:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,304 times
We started searching where to relocate to in Brunswick County in the fall of 2020. We visited the area twice and saw many places then narrowed down our choices. A visit to the developments does help. What we thought would be our favorite development was not. We loved Winding River, but it was far from many things. You will definitely get a feel of what you like. We finally decided to find a resale home in Calabash/Sunset Beach/Ocean Isle Beach. We made offers on several homes starting in March and an offer was accepted in June. We plan on moving permanently in June when I retire. We will visit at least once a month until then. We are very happy with our decision. Our older son and his family live in North Carolina, so that was why we decided to relocate. Our younger son is moving with us and will eventually decide where he wants to move. I wish you luck in your search.

Old 09-27-2022, 09:44 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,376,770 times
My Nephew visied, fell in love with, and bought in Sunset Beach.......my Brother (his dad), visited, liked what he saw, bought in Calabash.....my Cousin, visited my Brother, bought 6 houses down. My other Nephew here in CT, is now looking in NC for 70-100 acres to develop. We are the next to head to NC, just gotta get the Ducks in a row.....and Wife ready
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina