Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 07:29 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,854,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boadoreen View Post
I'm curious what you thought on your October visit?

We've been in Brunswick Forest for over four years now. We choose it because of its proximity to Wilmington, BUT, if we were moving now I'd seriously consider something further south like King Fish, etc. Not so much because of the beaches but because the growth here is off the charts. Now there's talk of a stadium that will house 4000 people being built right in our backyards.

Find a place where the growth is managed well and with forethought, which isn't Leland by any stretch of the imagination. Also, Brunswick Forest doesn't have enough amenities to accommodate the amount of people moving here.
Interesting take. Leland has gradually been adding A LOT of stores, etc...a Publix Center is planned, building a Lowe's now, and now talk that a major development will bridge the gap to Brunswick Forest in Leland with a regional minor league baseball stadium. And all of these are planned developments, which is unique in the Wilmington market because of the lack of available land.

Leland is primed to be a 50k major planned suburb, but I guess some folks didn't want to be in a town that size. Growth is gradual, but you should have seen Leland 10 years ago...there is a ton of stuff built now compared to then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2023, 07:05 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,697 times
We just visited Wilmington/Leland and surrounding areas from Sneed Ferry to Southport and Calabash, heard about all the building going on but was shocked to see how much. We live in Monmouth County NJ so are used to congestion and like the access to shopping restaurant's etc.

Heard the locals don't like all the growth and we were tailgated multiple times as we explored and were told the same one guy called himself a Salty Redneck. My feeling is to stay where all the growth is with transplants to avoid infringing on the locals.

Has anyone had any experience of being harassed?

Old 03-23-2023, 07:29 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
We just visited Wilmington/Leland and surrounding areas from Sneed Ferry to Southport and Calabash.....Has anyone had any experience of being harassed?
No, but I have been told on forums to go back where I came from. I was also kicked off a FB forum when I complained about one-sided politics. That's passive aggression. Roughly where did you encounter the Salty Redneck?

When we moved for retirement, we planned to settle among other transplants. Sneads Ferry is mostly transient military people, but the locals include some wonderful people. There is an occasional truck which displays the Confederate flag.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-23-2023 at 08:56 AM..

Old 03-23-2023, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
We just visited Wilmington/Leland and surrounding areas from Sneed Ferry to Southport and Calabash, heard about all the building going on but was shocked to see how much. We live in Monmouth County NJ so are used to congestion and like the access to shopping restaurant's etc.

Heard the locals don't like all the growth and we were tailgated multiple times as we explored and were told the same one guy called himself a Salty Redneck. My feeling is to stay where all the growth is with transplants to avoid infringing on the locals.

Has anyone had any experience of being harassed?
I wouldn't worry about it. Most of the complaining comes from a few who think "they" owned the towns. The rapid development has been going on for over 30 years, so its nothing new.

The complaining will literally die out eventually, if you know what I mean.

Old 03-23-2023, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
No, but I have been told on forums to go back where I came from. I was also kicked off a FB forum when I complained about one-sided politics. That's passive aggression. Roughly where did you encounter the Salty Redneck?

When we moved for retirement, we planned to settle among other transplants. Sneads Ferry is mostly transient military people, but the locals include some wonderful people. There is an occasional truck which displays the Confederate flag.
We were at the bar of a restaurant ordering drinks while waiting for our table, the guy with his friends over heard us talking to the bar tender and out of nowhere introduced himself a a Salty Redneck with a glare, his friends seemed a little embarrassed by his comment. The bartender said I have a thick accent and a give away where you are from. Can't change my voice. Another server we met was from Colorado said you are who you are and doesn't let comments bother them. Most of the people we met were from other states, I see this as the beauty of being born in America our country is so vast we have the freedom to migrate anywhere we want for any reason without a passport.

New Jersey was doomed from the beginning, Ben Franklin said it best, "New Jersey is a keg tapped on both ends" one being New York City and the other Philadelphia. I have "0" intentions of bringing Jersey with me.

Old 03-23-2023, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. Most of the complaining comes from a few who think "they" owned the towns. The rapid development has been going on for over 30 years, so its nothing new.

Thanks for the encouragement. I do my best to let things roll off but there is a limit. I have heard worse from people in my own state so I have a thick skin that I hope to shed.

Old 03-24-2023, 07:15 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,050,093 times
You are going to run into jerks wherever you go, the trick is not to be one! We moved here from Mercer Co. NJ and have met a few jerks but for the most part people are very friendly. We moved to south Brunswick Co (Calabash, OIB area) 5 years ago and the place has exploded and continues to do so. I can not complain as we are contributing factors.

Look around talk to people, visit in the summer months, during spring break, find the area that is comfortable and provides most of your needs then do a ton of research on the developer, plans for the community read the CCR's for the development. Good luck with your research!!

Old 03-24-2023, 07:16 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,405,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post

The people moving in will also literally die out eventually... especially in old old old Brunswick county. if you know what I mean. Cant kill Carolina much as you wish you could yankee. What an insensitive comment but its what Ive come to expect from this transplant heavy liberal leaning forum... maybe people wouldnt complain as much about people moving in if perhaps the ones moving in cared a bit more for their neighbors and didnt see them as lesser than... if only.

New Jersey dude you will be fine... just be kind and not an *******, and yes some people will call you yankee... dont think anyone actually hates you for where you are from, maybe moreso the rapid growth. Hope you find what you are looking for and dont dwell too much on all this.

Old 03-24-2023, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
You are going to run into jerks wherever you go, the trick is not to be one! We moved here from Mercer Co. NJ and have met a few jerks but for the most part people are very friendly. We moved to south Brunswick Co (Calabash, OIB area) 5 years ago and the place has exploded and continues to do so. I can not complain as we are contributing factors.

Look around talk to people, visit in the summer months, during spring break, find the area that is comfortable and provides most of your needs then do a ton of research on the developer, plans for the community read the CCR's for the development. Good luck with your research!!
What are the CCR's? Is there a website that shows all the community and retail development since there is so much going on?

We worked with a realtor to look at gated communities and they didn't have any information just drove us around.

Old 03-24-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
The people moving in will also literally die out eventually... especially in old old old Brunswick county. if you know what I mean. Cant kill Carolina much as you wish you could yankee. What an insensitive comment but its what Ive come to expect from this transplant heavy liberal leaning forum... maybe people wouldnt complain as much about people moving in if perhaps the ones moving in cared a bit more for their neighbors and didnt see them as lesser than... if only.

New Jersey dude you will be fine... just be kind and not an *******, and yes some people will call you yankee... dont think anyone actually hates you for where you are from, maybe moreso the rapid growth. Hope you find what you are looking for and dont dwell too much on all this.
LOL...I have adult age children that were born, raised and educated in eastern NC that support the development and opportunities that come along with it. Retired folks (mostly) are causing a lot of the development and opposing it at the same time. Just depends on where you were when you retired. And for the record I have been a NC resident for 43 years.

Eastern NC and Southeastern NC are NOT retirement villages. They are places for economic growth and opportunities. Jobs and prosperity. Lots of small businesses. Great places to live.

If we could just get the NC DOT to ramp up the speed of road projects that we have been waiting for for decades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina