Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 02:01 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,405,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
My Nephew visied, fell in love with, and bought in Sunset Beach.......my Brother (his dad), visited, liked what he saw, bought in Calabash.....my Cousin, visited my Brother, bought 6 houses down. My other Nephew here in CT, is now looking in NC for 70-100 acres to develop. We are the next to head to NC, just gotta get the Ducks in a row.....and Wife ready
Tell him we don't want or need his development money. Thanks. We are fine. Unless you mean he wants that acreage for himself... then welcome to NC .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2023, 09:22 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
We have a home right outside of Greenville, Winterville, NC. Down the street almost from ECU where your adult child is going to school.

We moved back to NJ 7 yrs. ago bc our kids are all here & are moving to various NE States now.

I would check out the Pitt County area for sure away from the Coast. I would absolutely rent before committing to buying a home, especially down on the Coast..

Another tip! NC does not tax your retirement, SC does.
You moved back to NJ caught my eye. We live in Monmouth County NJ and are planning a trip in March to check out Wilmington and surrounding areas. I see that it is building fast there as it is here. I lived in Maine for a while but the stand offish from the locals didn't make it worth it. Did you experience that there? I went to the Outer Banks NC a lot and was my first choice but got the same cold shoulder as Maine. Moving to a small city with a growing diverse population I am hoping wont be as bad, it will take a long time before it is as crowded as Monmouth County NJ. Massachusetts was a thought but do we really want to deal with the cold as we get older. Thanks for your input.

Old 02-07-2023, 05:12 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,420,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
You moved back to NJ caught my eye. We live in Monmouth County NJ and are planning a trip in March to check out Wilmington and surrounding areas. I see that it is building fast there as it is here. I lived in Maine for a while but the stand offish from the locals didn't make it worth it. Did you experience that there? I went to the Outer Banks NC a lot and was my first choice but got the same cold shoulder as Maine. Moving to a small city with a growing diverse population I am hoping wont be as bad, it will take a long time before it is as crowded as Monmouth County NJ. Massachusetts was a thought but do we really want to deal with the cold as we get older. Thanks for your input.
You’ll be fine. There are tons of transplants from NY, NJ and other areas in the northeast. We’re from RI, moved to the Raleigh area in 2008 and retired in Southport 4 years ago.

Old 02-08-2023, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
You’ll be fine. There are tons of transplants from NY, NJ and other areas in the northeast. We’re from RI, moved to the Raleigh area in 2008 and retired in Southport 4 years ago.
Thanks for your support. We have friends that bought in James Plantation which made us research Southport looks great not a big touristy shore town with big box stores. I can respect the locals pause about people moving in so fast, that is what's happening around us.

Are there any areas that we should avoid, we are meeting with a Real Estate Agent and don't want them to take advantage of us not knowing the history and show us undesirable areas because they are cheap. I read that East of College Rd. in Wilmington could have rough parts, is this true? Are there any others?

Old 02-08-2023, 09:26 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
...... we are meeting with a Real Estate Agent and don't want them to take advantage of us not knowing the history and show us undesirable areas because they are cheap. I read that East of College Rd. in Wilmington could have rough parts, is this true? Are there any others?
You should make it clear to the RE Agent what you are looking for in a home, and what your maximum budget is. I presume you are retiring. Are you looking for a place with lots of recreational amenities? Small lot or big lot? What compromises are you willing to make if you have a small budget. Would a towwnhouse or condominium be OK with you? Etc, etc.

FWIW, I never heard of a RE Agent showing undesirable places because they are cheap. If anything, they would want to over-sell beyond your price range for a bigger commission.

Yes, there are places east of College Road in Wilmington that can be rough. Are you looking in Brunswick County, or in nice places in Wilmington? About 98% of the homes will be in safe areas. I would only avoid places that are too far away from conveniences. Don't plan to drive more than 10 miles for groceries, or more than 20 miles to emergency medical care.

Old 02-08-2023, 06:54 PM

919 posts, read 746,563 times
The area east of College Road south of Oleander Drive (down to around Piner Road) contains many very desirable neighborhoods and none that would be considered undesirable. And to echo goldenage, I think your fears regarding realtors is unfounded.

Old 02-09-2023, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
You should make it clear to the RE Agent what you are looking for in a home, and what your maximum budget is. I presume you are retiring. Are you looking for a place with lots of recreational amenities? Small lot or big lot? What compromises are you willing to make if you have a small budget. Would a towwnhouse or condominium be OK with you? Etc, etc.

FWIW, I never heard of a RE Agent showing undesirable places because they are cheap. If anything, they would want to over-sell beyond your price range for a bigger commission.

Yes, there are places east of College Road in Wilmington that can be rough. Are you looking in Brunswick County, or in nice places in Wilmington? About 98% of the homes will be in safe areas. I would only avoid places that are too far away from conveniences. Don't plan to drive more than 10 miles for groceries, or more than 20 miles to emergency medical care.
Thanks for your response. We did give the RE a list of what we are looking for and they sent us a list of 200+ houses. We aren't retired yet but that is fast approaching.

We are open to any surrounding area in and around Wilmington and areas a couple miles from the coast away from the brunt of Hurricanes. We visited Ashville, Durham, Raleigh, OBX and Wilmington over the years and thought is was a nice sized small city on the coast and always liked NC in general.

Brunswick County is a possibility too looks a lot more open space so its all up in the air right now but just doing research before we head down. So there is some truth to the neighborhoods East of College Rd to be mindful of.

Old 02-09-2023, 05:43 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Sorry, I meant to say that some of the older, historic areas *west* of College Road could be rough. Near UNCW, there are many also student apartments which could make noisy neighbors. Please use the Google street views of any properties you are interested in and check the flood zone maps.

I also suggest asking your friends in St James Plantation for references.

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-09-2023 at 06:02 AM..

Old 02-12-2023, 11:00 AM

6 posts, read 7,332 times
I'm curious what you thought on your October visit?

We've been in Brunswick Forest for over four years now. We choose it because of its proximity to Wilmington, BUT, if we were moving now I'd seriously consider something further south like King Fish, etc. Not so much because of the beaches but because the growth here is off the charts. Now there's talk of a stadium that will house 4000 people being built right in our backyards.

Find a place where the growth is managed well and with forethought, which isn't Leland by any stretch of the imagination. Also, Brunswick Forest doesn't have enough amenities to accommodate the amount of people moving here.

Old 02-12-2023, 03:36 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,050,093 times
The building south of Leland is crazy as well. Seems every large tract of land is now clear cut. We were at a Town Hall meeting in Sunset Beach 2 weeks ago and it seems like the developers run the show. The town just approved 5,000 new homes on top of what is under construction currently in our area alone.
.https://www.arcgis.com/apps/webappvi...c9fa42a03faede

For reference Kingfish Bay is in Calabash which is between Carolina Shores and Sunset Beach.

The infrastructure cannot keep up and we are very concerned about hurricanes and rising water. A couple of subdivisions in the area have had sections that flood after major storms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina