Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 02:17 PM

5 posts, read 5,877 times

Advertisements

So here are the town I am looking at right now, I want to be no more than 20 min from the beach, my wife & I like to do shopping, dinning love drinks on the water, we do not mind being about 20 min or so from all the excitement, we have no kids, just her & I, we are not sure if we want a condo, town home or single, we are only spending $400k, if anyone knows about Wildwood NJ we like that whole vibe & seen, so if any one has suggestions to help us for our move for this summer, If you do not like the towns I added please tell me what town you like. Also is there any website to see what the different town have. We really would like the help, thanks.
Beufont

Newport

Atlantic Beach
Swansboro

Morehead City

Southport
Oak Island
Carolina Beach
Holly Ridge

Ogden
Silver Lake
Myrtle Grove
Seabreeze
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 04:44 PM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
Myrtle Beach, SC is the only answer.

Old 04-18-2023, 05:00 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
Agree with Owen! Myrtle Beach=Wildwood NJ!!!

Old 04-18-2023, 07:52 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreattl View Post
..... Also is there any website to see what the different town have. We really would like the help, thanks.
Most North Carolina beach towns are quiet and family-oriented. People would like to keep them quiet, so there is no central web site advertising them. Each of the incorporated towns have web sites describing the rules, dog policy, parking fees, etc.

Things to know: there are no lifeguards. There is only one boardwalk, an abbreviated one in Carolina Beach. Your budget would get you a townhouse or condo near the beach. Or you could get a small single-family house on the mainland side.

Personally, I like Surf City which has a good mix of beach houses, rental places and commercial development on the mainland side. You might check out the DR Horton developments in Surf City. Surf City is located between Topsail Beach and North Topsail Beach. They are close enough to Wilmington where you can go for different restaurants and major shopping.

Old 04-19-2023, 07:15 AM

I do not want it to be like Wildwood NJ, I was talking about how the beach and bay are close and all shop, bars, and dining are in the same area, so I need more ideas for towns.

Old 04-19-2023, 07:22 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreattl View Post
I want to be no more than 20 min from the beach,
my wife & I like to do shopping, dining love drinks on the water,
we do not mind being about 20 min or so from all the excitement,
we have no kids, just her & I,

We really would like the help, thanks.
Best help? Don't expect to find your exact best spot right out of the gate.
Don't BUY on a guess or hope that an early choice might be.

For most that translates to a RENTAL of some sort, maybe more than one ...
somewhere convenient & practical to visit and spend time in the various location choices.
Ride it out for a year. Get to the point where YOU can answer the Q's you have.

Old 04-19-2023, 08:43 AM

Where would you and the wife look for work? The main employment centers are Wilmington, Jacksonville and Morehead City. That should be the first driving factor.

Other points: Topsail school district is excellent if you ever have children. Holly Ridge is the least developed, with no grocery store. But it has good employment options if you are a welder or warehouse worker. Hampstead is also a good living and working option. Southport/Oak Island are retirement destinations so many neighbors would be older people. The beaches nearest Jacksonville will have many Marine and Navy families and they are younger adults.

Old 04-19-2023, 09:15 AM

no kids for schools I work from home the wife does not work

Old 04-19-2023, 09:26 AM

Another point about Wildwood. Its Island is very wide so many businesses can be consolidated on the island. North Carolina barrier islands are much narrower so they are mainly housing. Surf City has a few bars and restaurants on the island, but most other businesses and services are on the mainland.
Another factor that others may mention: the Crystal Coast beaches near Morehead have very clear water. Ones south of Wilmington have water clouded by sand.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-19-2023 at 10:12 AM..

Old 04-19-2023, 10:11 AM

If you are interested in being in the largest city, look at Ogden and Myrtle Grove which are neighborhoods of Wilmington. You would be near good health care, hundreds of restaurants and other attractions. Wrightsville and Carolina Beach are your closest beaches. You might like the Sea Breeze area if you can find anything available. Carolina Beach itself is a good option if you can find anything affordable. I do not recommend the Silver Lake area.

Come and visit and see what feels best to you.

Last edited by goldenage1; 04-19-2023 at 10:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina