Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 10:54 AM

14 posts, read 56,268 times

Advertisements

I have been reading this forum for months and it is very informative. I'm looking to purchase a home in the Brunswick County region. I have not made up my mind yet about which town, Sunset Beach, Ocean Isle Beach, Holden Beach areas. I'd like to several miles back from the beach area and in an area with a clubhouse and pool and close to a marina. Pros and Cons are welcome I would be in the 300-400,000 range. I looked in the Myrtle Beach area and it was to congested for myself and wifes liking. Thanks for any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 03:19 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,055,277 times
Capt Bob- We vacationed in Myrtle Beach for many years but like you found that it was becoming quite congested. After about a year of research we bought a piece of property in Sunset Beach NC, two years ago. There are some lovely communities being developed in Brunswick Co. You might want to look at Brunswick Plantation, Rivers Edge and St. James Plantation. St James has both a marina and 3 golf courses as well as pools and all that "developed" neighbourhood stuff. It is located in Southport NC. which is a very cute seaport village. There is talk about building a real seaport there but I'm not sure of those plans. We bought at Ocean Ridge Plantation because they have 5 golf courses and a lovely beach house right on the island for property owners use. Another consideration was that there is no time frame to build and we are 10+ years from retirement. We wanted to snag a piece of sand before it was financially out of reach. You can do a search on realtor.com and find lots of homes in your price range in that area. You might also look in Calabash and Shallote, lots of homes in these little villages too. Hope this helps a little

Old 01-18-2007, 03:02 PM

I am currently looking in the south brunswick county area want to be at most 10 minutes to the beach and I,'m just trying to get some feedback from different people that bought in the area. I was told to be aware of the area by the north part of Southport because they are putting in a large commercial port that will bring in a lot of trucks and pollution. I'm not looking for work and I am trying to get away from the pollution. Thanks for the info JJ

Old 01-18-2007, 03:47 PM

Yeah, I am hearing about a port being developed north of Southport. Sure hope it doesn't have much impact on that lovely little town. We will be several miles south of there (in Ocean Ridge) and a couple of miles from the beach. There is quite a bit of development going on down there and we have met loads of people who are doing what you want to do. I am sure that is why the properties are maintaining there values. Properties, similar to ours, are selling for twice as much as we paid only two years ago. We have realtors calling us asking to sell ours!
Good luck with your search

Old 01-18-2007, 04:21 PM

Are you familar with the bridge going to Sunset Beach from the mainland. I have read it is a one lane pontoon bridge. If so it must take a long time to drive over it. If so I probably cold eliminate the Calabash and Carolina Shores area. Thanks again. Taxed to the max in Jersey

Old 01-18-2007, 04:59 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,629,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Bob View Post
Are you familar with the bridge going to Sunset Beach from the mainland. I have read it is a one lane pontoon bridge. If so it must take a long time to drive over it. If so I probably cold eliminate the Calabash and Carolina Shores area. Thanks again. Taxed to the max in Jersey
Quick question. I've got thirty years in an I'm pretty much done. I'll probably pack it in sometime this year. I also live in NJ and I'm not looking to leave NJ for the sake of leaving (my taxes aren't too bad and I basically own my house so I'm not being forced out by economics) but I'm looking for better weather conditions that NJ has to offer. I would like to go to Fla. and buy a place on the west coast so I can do as much fishing and motorcycle riding as I want. My wife is dead set on leaving NJ. Did you have the same issue? If so how did you get her to change. I know alot of the guys from my job have moved just north and south of Charlotte and they love it. Like you I would probably prefer to be closer to the ocean. Let me know if you have any info. or if you've already visited any areas.

Old 01-18-2007, 07:28 PM

Capt Bob- the bridge to Sunset Beach is a very small swing bridge and it is one lane, controlled by a traffic light. We have been over it many, many times. It only "swings" open when enough boats are lined up to pass through. We have waited no more than 5-8 minutes to cross that bridge at the busiest times (boat and car traffic). Sunset Beach is both the "Island" and the Mainland, our property is on the Mainland, houses on the Island are lovely beach homes and more exposed to the elements. I am hoping that the Island will protect us (on the main land) from the brunt of any storms that come through.
If you are looking to be a couple of miles from the coast, just stay away from Island property.

Old 01-18-2007, 08:28 PM

45 posts, read 218,652 times
Default Oib

Hi!

My parents have 2 places at Ocean Isle Beach (they live in Wilmington and wanted something a little less crowded and a whole lot less expensive than Wrightsville Beach). Moderator cut: not allowed

We LOVE the relaxed feeling of Ocean Isle ... nothing like Myrtle or Wrightsville Beach. We can leave our beach umbrellas/supplies on the beach while we go back to the house and everything will be there when we come back later in the day. Whenever we go up for a visit it is so refreshing ... very quiet if that is what you are looking for. During the off season you feel like you are the only one on the island ... it is an amazing feeling!

Best of luck with everything!

Last edited by autumngal; 12-29-2007 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: use classifieds please

Old 01-19-2007, 06:34 AM

Exdo1/ 25 and done from big city in North Jersey. Tired of commuting and all the other BS. I moved to the shore area years ago and absolutely love the bay and ocean. Wife is hesitant about moving but we will come up in the summertime and holidays to be with family and friends. I do not have much info on the area but like you I have friends that moved to NC/SC area. The problem that I am aware of in Florida and I guess the Carolinas is the enormous increase in flood and wind insurance to be in a a coastal area. You also have to make sure you are on an elevated piece of land if possible because it is inevitable that a hurricane will hit the areas mentioned and probably New Jersey with the global warming that we seen this winter. Good luck with your search and you can learn alot when reading all the posts on this forum. By the way after 30 years your going to work and losing money LOL.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:50 AM

JerseyJ/ I think were going down at easter break and doing some serious searching. Our mind is always open and we have to visit all or some of the complexes in south brunswick. Like you we want to be close to the beach but not a block away. I noticed that the big builders like Centex/DR Horton/KB Homes/Pulte Homes/Ryan Homes and all the other big builders have a massive amount of inventory of homes that are built and just sitting around.We spoke to a representitive from Centex and they will take off 20 percent from the price at least. I guess with the crazy real estate market they like the general public got in over there heads and just want to unload the inventory of unsold homes. I guess we or I could say that there are some good deals around right now. They offered to put us up for two night for free if we come down to look. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina