Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2022, 10:24 AM

455 posts, read 527,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
NCDOT press release about the sign changes, including a new numbering system for the section between I-95 and Zebulon.

Also noted is that a contract to upgrade the rest of US-264 to interstate standards between I-95 and Zebulon will be awarded in 3 to 4 years.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...ure-i-587.aspx
I am wondering, I would imagine, that this would coincide with the widening of I-87 from just east of Wendell to Zebulon. The trip bt the capital and Greenville is getting quicker!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2022, 10:26 AM

I attended one of the public forums on the 500 ft rule. I really like the idea of having four areas across the city where there would be no 500 ft rule. IMO this would create social activity pockets around the city and reduce the pressure to only have bars in the uptown area. Hopefully they move forward with this in Sept.

https://www.witn.com/2022/07/27/publ...rs-greenville/

Old 07-29-2022, 12:58 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,597,631 times
If we actually get barcades, health spas, and daiquiri bars that would be great. However it’s cheaper to run crappy dive bars and that’s why they’re all we had before.

Not a fan. Downtown used to be pretty crappy and I don’t want to see it go back to that.

Old 08-01-2022, 08:04 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
If we actually get barcades, health spas, and daiquiri bars that would be great. However it’s cheaper to run crappy dive bars and that’s why they’re all we had before.

Not a fan. Downtown used to be pretty crappy and I don’t want to see it go back to that.
I understand what you are saying. But that was over a decade ago. Demographics and sensibilities have changed. We've seen how Dickinson Avenue has taken on more of an upscale flair compared to the rest of uptown. If you take that away, I think it will give people the opportunity to bring a barcade or martini lounge, or distillery or other adult establishment.

I've even been to much smaller towns that have enacted the recent "social districts" that allow alcohol to be brought out of bars and restaurants. I've seen little issue with that even in those towns.

I've "gone out" in pretty much every large city in NC and none of those cities had restrictions in the same way Greenville does in much more populated areas. Those cities would not dream of restricting bars the way Greenville does.

Greenville is still in puberty as a city, not quite sure of what it wants to be. It's trying to be a big city and give people more amenities and options, but it's still a small town kid at heart.

I say bring it on. Much of the space that housed all those clubs are gone now. I don't think you'd see another crappy bar in the Dickinson Avenue area. I don't think it'll ever get the rep it did again.

If they could also release the old brewery restrictions, that'd be great as well.

-------
Royal Farms approved for 2nd location in Greenville

https://www.reflector.com/news/local...6c15800b7.html

Quote:
A Baltimore-based convenience store known for its fried chicken will build a gas station with outdoor dining at Stantonsburg and Allen Roads with the blessing of Greenville’s Board of Adjustment.

The location in the Medical District is now the second for Royal Farms, which won approval last year to build a similar store on Greenville Boulevard at 14th Street. Construction has yet to begin on either location.

Last edited by michealbond; 08-01-2022 at 08:26 AM..

Old 08-08-2022, 07:57 AM

Greenville goes big for Little League: Volunteers, events aim to make World Series feel at home

https://www.reflector.com/news/local...a17c24364.html

Quote:
Beginning Tuesday, ESPN’s family of networks will begin broadcasting the first global iteration of the event from Stallings Stadium at Elm Street Park. This year’s event features two more U.S. teams and opens up the field to four international teams representing Italy, Puerto Rico, the Philippines and Canada. In 2021, the first year of series play, COVID restrictions limited spectators in the stadium and the movement teams, but that is no longer the case.

The teams aren’t the only ones looking to put on a show at the tournament. The Emerald City will be featured in television spots during the event and will figure into ESPN’s coverage. Staff and volunteers want to ensure the city makes the most of its time in the spotlight.
I think this is a great event and the people that were able to get the tournament moved to Greenville deserve a huge thanks. It may not be a big thing like the LL baseball world series, but I think it can certainly grow into a great product and bring in a good amount of people from other places to help drive economic growth.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:54 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Greenville goes big for Little League: Volunteers, events aim to make World Series feel at home

https://www.reflector.com/news/local...a17c24364.html

I think this is a great event and the people that were able to get the tournament moved to Greenville deserve a huge thanks. It may not be a big thing like the LL baseball world series, but I think it can certainly grow into a great product and bring in a good amount of people from other places to help drive economic growth.
Agreed. The venue is perfect and a city the size of Greenville will put a focus on it similar to what Williamsport does in PA. Plus Greenville is used to putting on events because of ECU events so there is no reason this shouldn't be successful.

What a great way to bring in economic revenue prior to ECU students coming back and ECU athletics starting.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Agreed. The venue is perfect and a city the size of Greenville will put a focus on it similar to what Williamsport does in PA. Plus Greenville is used to putting on events because of ECU events so there is no reason this shouldn't be successful.

What a great way to bring in economic revenue prior to ECU students coming back and ECU athletics starting.
Absolutely HP. I almost wonder if the city should go all the way in on softball. I know they've wanted a new youth sports complex. An article on WITN says that there were 1,000 people at one game yesterday for the host team. A large complex that could host several tournament games with a "championship" stadium to host the Little League World Series and other large tournaments.

Maybe add in a larger sized stadium at the complex that could host a college summer league team?

Stallings stadium is a really nice for a little league stadium, and i know some of the "magic" might be lost by building another stadium at some large complex. But the city still needs a facility like that to increase the likelihood of landing more travel tournaments.

----------

I'm not sure how this PGV update didn't get bigger coverage, but I think it's a little more important than sticking it in with an update on the animal shelter.

https://www.reflector.com/news/local...a09106fc3.html

Quote:
American Airlines isn’t increasing the number of flights out of Pitt-Greenville Airport anytime soon, but it is increasing the size of the planes it’s flying out of the airport, Executive Director Kim W. “Bill” Hopper said during a presentation to the commissioners.

Starting in September, American Airlines will start first-class passenger service by flying 66-seat aircraft out of Greenville twice daily, Hopper said. That will allow an additional 32 passengers to fly out of the facility, he said.

“We are predominately a business flier operation and business fliers like sitting at the front of the plane,” he said.
Great news for PGV. Sometimes it's really hard to see that the New Bern airport is flourishing and adding flights and airlines, while Greenville struggles to attract even a low cost airline.

Old 08-10-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Absolutely HP. I almost wonder if the city should go all the way in on softball. I know they've wanted a new youth sports complex. An article on WITN says that there were 1,000 people at one game yesterday for the host team. A large complex that could host several tournament games with a "championship" stadium to host the Little League World Series and other large tournaments.

Maybe add in a larger sized stadium at the complex that could host a college summer league team?

Stallings stadium is a really nice for a little league stadium, and i know some of the "magic" might be lost by building another stadium at some large complex. But the city still needs a facility like that to increase the likelihood of landing more travel tournaments.

----------

I'm not sure how this PGV update didn't get bigger coverage, but I think it's a little more important than sticking it in with an update on the animal shelter.

https://www.reflector.com/news/local...a09106fc3.html

Great news for PGV. Sometimes it's really hard to see that the New Bern airport is flourishing and adding flights and airlines, while Greenville struggles to attract even a low cost airline.

Increasing capacity is a good sign and I agree regarding NB.... They are benefiting from coastal and military traffic though that Greenville doesn't get. Gville is totally dependent upon local business demand.

Relatedly, sort-of, I wonder if Greenville/Pitt County were in consideration for the Forza (electric boat) expansion that went to the western part of the state (https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...263944421.html) We a host of boat builders in the area, would seem like a good fit...

Lastly, I really hope the city is vying to be the permanent home for the LLSBWS. I wonder if investing in/renovating Guy Smith as a host site would be viable. Reconfiguring and have two additional fields along side a "championship" field would be very nice. Could also work with PCGSL in some capacity....

Old 08-16-2022, 10:57 AM

‘Complete success’: World Series leaves fans wanting more

https://www.reflector.com/news/local...8c3b3d0c9.html

Quote:
“Complete success,” Andrew Schmidt, president and CEO of the Greenville Convention and Visitors Bureau, said from Monday’s game. “We’ve had nothing but good reviews from the families and teams.”

Aside from a few weather delays, Schmidt said that the tournament was the perfect storm of excitement with teams from across the country and around the world bringing fans to the city.

Locals were enticed in part by the scale of the event and further by the Pitt County Girls Softball League All-Stars playing as the home team after winning the North Carolina region championship — the locals were a win away from the semifinals, losing a 2-1 heartbreaker to the Southeast team from Chesterfield, Virginia, on Saturday.

As Schmidt shuttled people to and from parking lots throughout the Series, he also spoke to people from South Carolina, Charlotte and Virginia who came to town just to watch softball, he said.

----------------------

Notes from the latest city council meeting:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/newr...e=1&p=63941296

Quote:
Greenville City Council voted 5-1 to approve minor modifications to a proposed ordinance creating two social districts in the downtown area.

Councilman Will Bell, an early proponent of the social districts, cast the lone no vote, saying the original proposal and the modifications don’t go far enough in creating new opportunities for businesses.

A second reading of the modified ordinance will occur during Thursday’s 6 p.m. council meeting. The council may vote for final approval at that time.

Social districts allow people to walk along designated areas with alcoholic beverages in hand, moving in and out of participating businesses.

Staff proposes creating two social districts in downtown Greenville: an Uptown Social District centered around Evans and Fifth streets and the Dickinson Avenue Social District centered around the avenue and nearby streets.

The recommended ordinance proposed the two districts operate from 6-10 p.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Participating businesses may only sell and serve open containers of alcoholic beverages and allow customers to exit their property during the designated days and hours of operations.

Additionally, a new 2,000 sq ft. Welcome center and playground was approved to be built at Wildwood park. Contract was authorized and expected completion date is Spring 2023. This is needed. It's great to see the city putting forth the effort for this park.

Last edited by michealbond; 08-16-2022 at 11:11 AM..

Old 08-18-2022, 07:46 AM

247 posts, read 445,322 times
Chase Bank is coming on 10th Street in the same bottom level building as FedEx is located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina