Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:09 AM

214 posts, read 823,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC for Me View Post
I am probably reading their site wrong b/c it did look like a great place for the summer. Thanks so much for the input. Everyone is making it really hard for us to try to sit tight here in suburbia and wait til the market turns around. We are ready to make the jump down to the coast just as soon as we can.

Thank you to everyone that helped us and given info for an easy decision to be in SOuthport!!
So glad to hear that SPT has appealed to you. I have found it to be a wonderful place to live and work, and love the proximity to Wilm., Carolina Beach, Bald Head Island and Myrtle, not to mention the very short commute to all the nearby gorgeous beaches, still unspoiled. Drove through downtown SPT last evening, and it was a very busy little town. Still lots of parking available, no meters, and families out mingling and enjoying the weather. Love the fact they have added horse drawn carriages and historical walks for visitors with guides.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 07:45 PM

3 posts, read 42,066 times
Default For future people moving to Southport-Oak Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNS View Post
My husband has his 3rd and final interview on Friday for a position in Southport. We currently live in a suburb of Philly. We have vacationed on the NC coast for the last 6 summers and love the Southport area. We are trying to figure out what area/development would be best for us. We have 4 and 8 year old boys and would love to find a community that has a lot of kids. We don't want to buy in a neighborhood that is half abandonded. We have considered Arbor Creek, Seaspray Cove,Rivermist, South Harbor Villiage, Oak Island and downtown Southport. We want to be close to the beach and Southport. Our kids will most likely go to public school, so the elementary school is important. Any suggestions/input?
Ok DONT by a house anywere past St. James Plantation on 211 because you'll have Cedar Grove for a middle school.( the school is Virginia Wiliamson for Elementary and NOT in Boiling Spring Lakes.. Southport Elem. boundrys have changed. BSL is now Bolivia Elem. Children live everywhere! Yes we have retirees but I work for the schools and believe me we DID NOT open two brand new schools this year because we have no chldren here!!! LOL btw my 11yr old boy LOVES to golf. Oh the Oak Island has a great program for all ages young and old.. a pre-k for 3 to 5 year olds... they have after school care.. a teen center and a recreation center weight and cardio room also!! and ALL kind of classes.. come on down
This post is for anyone who want to move to our area..

Old 07-06-2010, 10:05 PM

7 posts, read 19,216 times
Yes, I have done some research myself and I do believe the builder that has that development is sound.

I found that they will sell lots off and let other builders come into some of these communities to build.

A bit different from the Northeast where I live. What you see there is one builder only in a development.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,227 times
Default need contacts

Hi

Hi kareybear, I am new to forums but my husband and I are looking to move to South Port and I am trying to find out as much info as possible. We have been there several times and LOVE the area. Any contacts would be greatly appreciated as we have none. Can you please email me at groomchick@hotmail.com? I am looking forward to talking to you. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
They are right it mostly rental and elderly areas..... I haved lived on Oak Island for 2 years with a 4 and 8 years old at the time. It was very hard to find neighborhood with kids but we loved the fact we can ride our bikes on the island,golf cart and can use the beach anytime. In the summer time you have deal with out of towner but the beach is never crowded. I love living there. Boilings Springs is a wonderful place.... My mind is going blank but there is development you haven't mention would be great place. If you are need of Realtor : I know one that is a family man and knows the ends n' out of the area. PM me and I can give you info. I was the President of the MOMS Club in Southport one year and made the bestest friends there.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:16 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,395,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groomchick View Post
Hi

Hi kareybear, I am new to forums but my husband and I are looking to move to South Port and I am trying to find out as much info as possible. We have been there several times and LOVE the area. Any contacts would be greatly appreciated as we have none. Can you please email me at groomchick@hotmail.com? I am looking forward to talking to you. Thank you
Hi! It looks like "kareybear" hasn't posted on this site in almost 2 years, so you may not hear back from him/ her. My suggestion would be to start a new thread, asking any specific questions you may have, and hopefully some current posters will see it and be able to help you. Good luck!

Old 02-19-2015, 09:10 AM

13,380 posts, read 27,114,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groomchick View Post
I am new to forums but my husband and I are looking to move to South Port and I am trying to find out as much info as possible. We have been there several times and LOVE the area. Any contacts would be greatly appreciated as we have none.
The town is spelled Southport, and it would be better to read through more recent threads, and then ask your own questions. Frankly, I don't think you should put a personal email on this forum. You will probably only hear from realtors willing to "help" you.

Typically, the answers will be different if you are a retiree, or if you would need to look for jobs and have kids in school.

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-19-2015 at 10:10 AM..

Old 02-21-2015, 05:53 AM

8,398 posts, read 4,390,329 times
Sounds like a "big town" vs "small town" argument to me.

These days it seems parents are expected to provide every opportunity to kids from soccer, to gymnastics and every social activity between that goes with the "big town" lifestyle. At the same time kids face all kinds of things in schools from drugs, bulling and so on that seem to be more predominant in the "big town" environment.

Assuming the small town school is at least functional, I would take the small town environment over the big town most any day. The necessities are there. Southport has a number of grocery stores, gas stations, and near by big box stores for most needs.

Kids will find friends and activities for idle times. It may be beach coming, fishing, kayaking, going to the movies, swimming or what ever.

I also would not dismiss or take it as a negative that Southport certainly does have a strong older population. Many of these people are affluent and well educated not to mention being grandparents with time on their hands. I'm not talking about 95 year old grandmaw that can bearly walk and drools on themselves. I'm talking about 60ish people that are vibrant and active in so many ways. There is a tremendous opportunity for trans generational teaching and activities.

When it comes to raising kids, personally, I would take the small town environment over the big town any day. I hope Southport works out for you. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina