Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:23 AM

86 posts, read 329,224 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting Wilmington in a few days to drive all over the place and see if I want to move there. Can anyone advise which neighborhoods are more desireable and safer? I'll be renting at first and would like to check out possible specific neighborhoods as well as the rest of the city and surrounding area.

I've heard Wilmington is a good city to do theatre - regional, community, etc. and I'm looking for a warm coastal climate with just that. So if anyone can tell me where I can find a list of all the theatres in and around Wilmington so I can check out their websites, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks for any help you can give. I've never visited before!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 05:07 AM

983 posts, read 3,987,327 times
The largest theatre in Wilmington is Thalian Hall.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:10 AM

431 posts, read 1,141,692 times
It depends how much you want to pay for rent. There are apartments everywhere.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:11 PM

311 posts, read 915,685 times
I suppose people will say that Mayfaire is most desireable and safer, it's about 2 minutes from Wrightsville Beach, and new.. thus making it a bit expensive. We looked at The Reserve at Mayfaire Apts which were very nice, awesome amenities.. but the 1BR/1BA was going for about $900 when we looked at it.. maybe they have better specials now, but yeah - it really depends on what your budget is. so what's your budget?!

You're interested in theatres, and the biggest one is downtown.. so it sounds like you would enjoy living downtown, but you will hear mixed reviews about living there. I think as long as you are living in the true historic district of downtown (don't go into the number streets higher than 4th street), and practice common sense safety like not walking alone at night, avoiding the sketchy areas deeper into downtown.. I personally think you will be fine. many people live downtown and are fine.. i'm about to move downtown and I'm sure i'll be fine. But it's all up to personal opinion I guess! Crime is crime but crime is everywhere.. be smart. I think yo'ud enjoy living there. I'd say most places by Wrightsville Beach are safe, but again.. expensive! Try Ogden.. it's about 5 min from the beach I believe.. safe area. I liked the Park at Three Oaks apartments there.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:25 PM

86 posts, read 329,224 times
Thanks! Yes, I do love doing theatre but I can live in safer neighborhoods and drive to the theatres I'm working at. I prefer to do that, anyway. I'll check out Mayfair and Ogden and wherever else you can recommend. I'm open to living anywhere in the area that's SAFE. I'll pay more for safety! I'd wanted to keep my rent at $1,000/month max. Do you happen to know any realiable realtors who handle rentals?

Thanks again for all the helpful info. I'll be driving around there in just a few days.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:25 PM

57 posts, read 265,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabsinger1 View Post
Thanks! Yes, I do love doing theatre but I can live in safer neighborhoods and drive to the theatres I'm working at. I prefer to do that, anyway. I'll check out Mayfair and Ogden and wherever else you can recommend. I'm open to living anywhere in the area that's SAFE. I'll pay more for safety! I'd wanted to keep my rent at $1,000/month max. Do you happen to know any realiable realtors who handle rentals?

Thanks again for all the helpful info. I'll be driving around there in just a few days.
I've been looking to relocate to Wilmington as well, and I've decided that Wrightsville Beach and the area close by are just too expensive. My max rent is $1100 for a two bedroom and I haven't found anything. I really want to be very close to the beach though, so I'm considering Carolina Beach or Kure Beach. I don't mind driving the extra 15 minutes (30-ish total to downtown) to get to work if it means I can live close to the ocean! Safety is a big concern for me and I'm told that crime is a non-issue in Carolina and Kure Beach... for what it's worth. Good luck!

GC

Old 07-29-2009, 05:49 PM

431 posts, read 1,141,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlygc View Post
I've been looking to relocate to Wilmington as well, and I've decided that Wrightsville Beach and the area close by are just too expensive. My max rent is $1100 for a two bedroom and I haven't found anything. I really want to be very close to the beach though, so I'm considering Carolina Beach or Kure Beach. I don't mind driving the extra 15 minutes (30-ish total to downtown) to get to work if it means I can live close to the ocean! Safety is a big concern for me and I'm told that crime is a non-issue in Carolina and Kure Beach... for what it's worth. Good luck!

GC
$1100 and you can't find anything? Wilmington has so much for less. Or so I've found. From what I've seen on Craigslist, you could probably rent a house for that price.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:05 PM

57 posts, read 265,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean330 View Post
$1100 and you can't find anything? Wilmington has so much for less. Or so I've found. From what I've seen on Craigslist, you could probably rent a house for that price.
Well, I've been doing this long distance and relying mostly on craigslist and newspaper ads, since I have yet to find a realtor who is interested in helping me. Most of them don't even return a phone call or email. I suspect I might also be having a tough time because I want to be really close to the beach (walking distance would be ideal, but if I could ride my bike there that would be ok too). The one realtor who actually called me back (from Intracoastal) explained that year-round rentals are hard to come by on Harbor Island and WB b/c owners of those properties know they can make a bundle renting by the week during summer. I get that. So far I've found a lot more availability in my price range in Carolina/Kure Beach. I think I just need to physically get down there and take a look around.

GC

Old 07-30-2009, 05:23 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
I've never tried renting through a realtor before. I don't believe Realtors don't get paid for that, do they? How does that work?

If you search this forum you should find the answers to your questions, "Can anyone advise which neighborhoods are more desireable and safer?"

You can find stuff in Wrightsville Beach, on craigslist. It is just time consuming, searching through every listing and looking it up on google maps. This is what I did.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:30 AM

311 posts, read 915,685 times
rubber, i'm not sure how the whole thing works.. but i had a realtor send me listings, and the rental we liked was through intracoastal. so we went to go see it, we liked it, and we sent our application to the realtor and she got it to intracoastal.. we sent her the money for a credit check and she sent it to intracoastal, and intracoastal pays her some sort of fee when we sign the lease.. so they do get a little something! i guess a realtor is just basically a liason type of person that actually cares and does some legwork for you, b/c intracoastal is so darn busy that they have barely ever called us back about things, we had to keep calling them. and that's about all i know about it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina