Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 07:23 AM

120 posts, read 252,096 times

Advertisements

Well, I'm a bit nervous about this aspect of moving. I've always just rented a U-Haul to move my own stuff, but my DH's compnay is willing to pay relocation expenses for a moving company. From what I can see on line, it can be extremely expensive but his workplace is only covering up to $5000. Do you think it will be feasible to hire a company under that rate?

(We won't be moving any appliances, not even our large dining room table. We'll be moving the equivalent of 2 bedrooms, kitchen, living room and family room. Our furniture is pretty lightweight except for one flatscreen TV.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 07:30 AM

19 posts, read 55,077 times
Are they going to pack your things or just load, drive and unload? How far are you moving?

Old 08-07-2009, 07:56 AM

Whoops! I should've stated that part!

We'd be moving from MA to NC.

We are open to packing ourselves, or to being packed by the movers.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:50 AM

57 posts, read 265,848 times
Default moving companies - beware the scam

The best advice I can give you, having moved all over the country myself, is to pick a reputable mover. There is a particularly good web site out there -- I don't know if I'm allowed to link to it from here, but just google "moving scam" and it'll be the first link you get. The site gives very good advice about choosing a moving company. The "superlist" gives you a state by state rundown of moving companies, the number and nature of complaints filed against them, which ones are reputable, etc. I believe TROSA in Durham NC does interstate moving; they are one of the few companies that has *never* had a complaint filed against them. I've used them myself and they were excellent. When I moved the contents of my storage unit from Ohio to NC, they gave me a quote and that was exactly the price I paid - no lowballing then jacking up the total later, which is a common practice among moving companies.

Good luck with your move!

GC

Old 08-07-2009, 09:04 AM

I have already been reading articles on that same website, but thanks for the info.

I guess I'm wondering if $5000 is even in the ballpark to hire a moving company. I hear stories of folks who've paid $20,000. If $10,000 is an average rate, then I am just wasting time checking into moving companies when I should be looking into driveable U-Haul arrangements. Know what I mean?

Old 08-07-2009, 09:34 AM

57 posts, read 265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudy68 View Post
I have already been reading articles on that same website, but thanks for the info.

I guess I'm wondering if $5000 is even in the ballpark to hire a moving company. I hear stories of folks who've paid $20,000. If $10,000 is an average rate, then I am just wasting time checking into moving companies when I should be looking into driveable U-Haul arrangements. Know what I mean?
Yeah, I do. Well, you probably know then that for interstate moves they charge on weight and distance. I'd just pick a couple of places to get quotes from (those are free) and go from there. It's really going to depend quite a lot on how much stuff you have. I paid $1600 to move 2500 lbs (keeping in mind TROSA has a 4000 lb minimum, so I really paid for 4000 lbs) about 500 miles from OH to NC. Nothing in the way of packing services or supplies, as everything was already packed. I am getting quotes to move a 3 bedroom house from Asheboro to Carolina Beach (about 200 miles), and it's looking to run about $2500, with packing services and supplies included, assuming about 4000 lbs.

I just can't imagine paying 10 grand to move unless you've really got a huge house and are moving really heavy bulky items like pianos and fridges.

GC

Old 08-07-2009, 02:23 PM

19 posts, read 55,077 times
I agree with GC - I moved 2 years ago from Ann Arbor, Mi to Asheville, NC (over 600 mi) and paid $3500. I moved a WHOLE LOTTA stuff - way too much - I moved out of a 4 BR 2.5 bath house and had the largest van stuffed to the gills - they did a great job too.
Moving is a hassle. I like to ask friends who they have used and would recommend. But, I think you could easily move for $5K - remember you can negotiate too...(just don't tell them you have that much to spend!)
Good Luck!

ps - I also moved last week from Asheville to Currituck County and needed to save $$. I hired 2 guys that the Budget Rent-a-truck suggested. I ended up with more broken, scratched and damaged things than ever before - (they tried, but did not really have good packing skills...)

Old 08-11-2009, 07:02 AM

Thanks curlygc & goblue! I really appreciate your feedback!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina