Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 14,854 times

Advertisements

OK ,then,I live in greenville, sc, moving to wilmington, next month married with childern and lab,,,dont want to live in BFE but dont mind the country need to be with in 15 miles or so of the beach,,, Thanks up front for the help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 07:52 PM

3 posts, read 20,521 times
Default Fellow SC resident moving at the same time

Hey, just wanted to say I'm moving to Wilmington next month and grew up in Clemson, SC (Greenville basically). I hope we both can find safe places to live! Good luck, PM if you want to talk about our moving experiences!

Old 12-17-2009, 09:21 PM

105 posts, read 353,487 times
Check out Leland!

Old 12-18-2009, 07:35 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,480 times
leland will not be 15 minutes from the beach,
we have a friend living over there and he finds
it a pain to get to the beaches.
looking at you "handle" seems to me that you would want to be
much closer.

look on the map and go either south or north of wilmington
or stay inside wilmington city limits.
lots of neighborhoods in all price ranges.
we are at 17'th and college road and about
15-20 minutes from either wrigthsville beach or carolina beach.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:13 AM

92 posts, read 223,298 times
The Monkey Junction area has a lot of neighborhoods to choose from. It's safe and about 15 mins. from the beach. Good schools, too. And not all of the neighborhoods are within the city limits (yet!), so you only have county taxes.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:45 AM

151 posts, read 559,484 times
We are also considering the same move into Wilmington area--would like at least 20 mins to a beach area doesn't have to be Carolina Beach but an area that is nice to hang out in and play in the water/sand. When visiting it was December and slow but I assume the Carolina Beach area gets really busy in the summer? Is that the case? If so, where do locals hang out that isn't over-run with tourists. The Topsail area seemed to have nice house prices with decent lots-which is what we are looking for and relatively close to town--of course on google maps it can be deceiveing-any idea of how far the drive is from some of the outlining areas?

Old 12-18-2009, 11:01 AM

topsail is a fairly good drive , 45min to an hour ,

You would most likely want to be in the same area as the OP , this way you can
choose all of Pleasure Isalnd beaches [ including both ends of island where you
can go in a four wheel drive ] or you can go to wrigthsville beach.

some of the wrigthsville beach crowd
looks down on the carolina beach crowd, it being more of a working class beach.
those things are changing and Carolina beach is really looking good,
the entry looks 200% better than coming into wilmington .

for us it was important to be close to everything , if you like to be a little
isolated then topsail might be a better fit.

there are turist everywhere but I never get the feeling that it is
over-run by tourists , they are there but living at the beach
means that one shares.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:27 PM

151 posts, read 559,484 times
good to know it's not over-run by tourists, that was my main concern about the area. It was too cold to hang on the beach two weeks ago when I got there but assumed in the summer it was fine but didn't want to fight huge crowds either. I would hate to move somewhere for a beach but not be able to enjoy it.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:18 PM

don't get me wrong , fourth of july on
wrigthsville beach will be crowded , espcecially around the piers.
being that we live here year round we just don't go
on the fourth.
the other thing with wrigthsville is that parking is at a premium,week-ends for sure,
we do however always have luck finding a spot.
the good thing is that one has the option of
driving south to carolina or kure beach where
parking is a little easier and if living on the north side one
can venture up to topsail and surf city.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:33 PM

16 posts, read 50,175 times
Hi: I hope someone will also answer me about Wilmington. Posted to the blog area but don't think that's right. Not sure how to start a post. My husband and I live in northern VA but will be visiting Wilmington this week to look for a retirement place. He loves to boat/fish in salt water so doesn't want to be far from water access; he also loves football and NC basketball on TV. I'm a glass artist so need a workshop and access to other artists. He's a retired Army MSgt, and we're both retired from the federal government. We both hate shopping except at Costco. Looking for a one-level house where we can put in a fence so our rat terrier can run around. Would love a community center where we could meet other good-natured people, but neither of us golfs. Our realtor has sent photos of very expensive houses while I send her MLS listings of more reasonable places. Anyone have recommendations for over 55, active boaters/artists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina