Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 06:21 PM

21 posts, read 56,231 times

Advertisements

I am just curious why everyone talks so bad about Wilmington. Like any big city there are places you don't go, but I don't think there is a better coastal town for its size. The university brings a year round community to the area and keeps things open year round. I agree there are some issues with the school system but there are always some bad apples in the group that spoil the rest. I don't think there is a better place to live in September, all the tourists have gone home, the water is warm, beaches empty and beautiful. My family makes it a point to get to the beach as much as possible that time of year. Not sure why I had to write this just thought Wilmington is such a great place and everyone seems to be busting on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 08:43 PM

214 posts, read 822,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCWCraig View Post
I am just curious why everyone talks so bad about Wilmington. Like any big city there are places you don't go, but I don't think there is a better coastal town for its size. The university brings a year round community to the area and keeps things open year round. I agree there are some issues with the school system but there are always some bad apples in the group that spoil the rest. I don't think there is a better place to live in September, all the tourists have gone home, the water is warm, beaches empty and beautiful. My family makes it a point to get to the beach as much as possible that time of year. Not sure why I had to write this just thought Wilmington is such a great place and everyone seems to be busting on it.
Many people have also asked me the same question, and I have concluded there are several reasons, nothing at all to do with Wilmington:
  • Many people who have lived here a long time don't appreciate the influx of newcomers and the development taking place.
  • Those that have relocated have become disenchanted, either they did not move without having a job first, they have lost their jobs and have become despondent and blame Wilmington for their current situation.
  • There are pockets of crime, but it tends to be over inflated, and this perspective taints all the great things about Wilmington.
  • No one area will entirely satisfy everyone's wants, however, IMO, where can you find a city located between two gorgeous beaches that has so much to offer?
  • My question to the naysayers, if you had a place to move to, where would it be? If you are unhappy here possibly consider relocating, no one is stopping you from doing so. You are doing yourselves and the area a disservice
  • Also keep in mind "Happiness grows in ones own garden".
  • I have lived all over the country, East Coast/West Coast and should I ever decide to relocate it would be HI, as that would be the only other place I would consider.

Old 01-07-2010, 05:25 AM

551 posts, read 1,875,795 times
There are various reasons people go on this forum. Some are people who want to move -- if they already live in Wilmington and they want to go someplace else maybe they don't like it here. There may be others who are unhappy for various reasons and come here to vent. If someone is completely happy going about his or her life there may be no reason to come on this forum. Just my thought -- that this tilts the posters toward people who don't like it. I come here because I am new to the area and always looking for information. And much thanks to the people who have helped me. I haven't been here long enough to have a real informed opinion on Wilmington but so far I think it is a great place with a lot to offer for a small city. Sure is cold right now though.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:21 AM

214 posts, read 822,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaze View Post
There are various reasons people go on this forum. Some are people who want to move -- if they already live in Wilmington and they want to go someplace else maybe they don't like it here. There may be others who are unhappy for various reasons and come here to vent. If someone is completely happy going about his or her life there may be no reason to come on this forum. Just my thought -- that this tilts the posters toward people who don't like it. I come here because I am new to the area and always looking for information. And much thanks to the people who have helped me. I haven't been here long enough to have a real informed opinion on Wilmington but so far I think it is a great place with a lot to offer for a small city. Sure is cold right now though.
Sundaze, I could not have said it better myself. Possibly we could start a more positive thread regarding the area, rather than being brought down by those disgruntled with the area.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
moderator note:
as a moderator I understand your frustration this site is base on opinions not facts but if you see a thread that can be proven with a fact report it other wise ill cite that poster trolling, If you see a poster who only post negative posts report it and Ill investigate.
Best thing you do is counter with positive threads on what is right in your area
all the best

;
;
;
;
;

Old 01-08-2010, 07:32 PM

23 posts, read 99,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashellbelle View Post
Many people have also asked me the same question, and I have concluded there are several reasons, nothing at all to do with Wilmington:
  • Many people who have lived here a long time don't appreciate the influx of newcomers and the development taking place.
  • Those that have relocated have become disenchanted, either they did not move without having a job first, they have lost their jobs and have become despondent and blame Wilmington for their current situation.
  • There are pockets of crime, but it tends to be over inflated, and this perspective taints all the great things about Wilmington.
  • No one area will entirely satisfy everyone's wants, however, IMO, where can you find a city located between two gorgeous beaches that has so much to offer?
  • My question to the naysayers, if you had a place to move to, where would it be? If you are unhappy here possibly consider relocating, no one is stopping you from doing so. You are doing yourselves and the area a disservice
  • Also keep in mind "Happiness grows in ones own garden".
  • I have lived all over the country, East Coast/West Coast and should I ever decide to relocate it would be HI, as that would be the only other place I would consider.
Been here since September so just my limited observations..
- Definitely a nice area, and as far as landscape it has pretty much everything I'd look for in a small city
-Generally upbeat and friendly community
-Not much industry..good because it slows the pace of growth...bad because of the lack of jobs
-As far as the population...I can't for the life of me find other single 23-26ish year olds with a career to hang out with. This would be my personal gripe on this place, and why I'd prefer going back to Raleigh, but it really doesn't have anything to do with the quality of Wilmington. This seems like a great place if you move here with a family, attend college, or have a network when you get down here...but the majority of people I'd otherwise hang out with are in class.
-There's a little something for everyone between downtown and the beaches
-Things tend to get a little slow during the winter months...with the beach off limits it's a little boring

Haven't been here for a summer yet but I'm sure things will pick up. All in all Wilmington is doing a lot better than some other beach cities I've visited and someone will always find something to criticize.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:15 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redmch91 View Post
-As far as the population...I can't for the life of me find other single 23-26ish year olds with a career to hang out with. This would be my personal gripe on this place, and why I'd prefer going back to Raleigh, but it really doesn't have anything to do with the quality of Wilmington.
Hi Redmch91,

I moved here when I was 24, and had the same problem. I moved downtown and most people I met were a hodgepodge of fun, alcoholic service-industry types. I never met anybody with a degree, a job, or a plan that seemed remotely impressive. Or, they were a tourist. I moved out to Wrightsville Beach and have since met a bunch of people our age, with careers.

Wilmington, for better or for worse, does not have obviously 'established social cliques' like other cities do. Greensboro did, Columbia did, for example. I am referring to large groups of people who grew up in that town together, who are sometimes less inviting towards new people. Sometimes when you move to a new town, you feel like the only newcomer there. Wilmington is the opposite of that. I've seen that UNCW grads have a little clique, and GE people often know each other. You have plenty of ECU people who move here, already acquainted. You might meet a few people from PPD walking around the north side of downtown.. but for the most part it is a bunch of individuals from all over.

Last edited by le roi; 01-09-2010 at 06:34 AM..

Old 01-09-2010, 07:19 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
As one that considered moving to Wilmington, but did not, here is my take. I don't think any of this is enough to make one HATE Wilmington, but it, when combined turned me off, at least. My observations are from when they occurred, some time ago. I hope improvements have been made.

Overall: Wilmington never came close to meeting its potential or my expectations.

First and lasting Impressions: Coming in from the south, cross that rusty bridge and then driving through a pretty depressing area, for blocks and blocks and blocks and blocks
Historic District: Very nice but very expensive and close to crime
Downtown on Waterfront: Very nice, but rather small
Outlying areas: Lots of sprawl and traffic, lots of strip malls, nothing of substance
Getting to beach: Seemed a lot harder than it should have been. Stoplights, sprawl, traffic, etc

I do not want to offend, but this is relevant
People: When I moved to coast a very very smart lady told me that I would be frustrated with people, since many at the coast were lifelong losers, and that their only positive experience growing up had been a trip to the beach, so after they struck out, they had returned to the place, the only place of positive memories. The beach. Not saying or implying everyone near or at beach are losers, but face it, there are an awfully lot of them. Wilmington seems to attract its fair share, too.

So, when you put all this together, and unfortunately at least for me, the negatives stuck out and stuck out quicker than the positives, you tend to look other places.

I am certain there are many many awesome ways to become part of the upside of Wilmington, but I don't think they grab you right off the bat. In most cases.

Before the haters come out, please read, I am sure there are lots of awesome experiences to be had in Wilmington.

lln

Old 01-09-2010, 10:14 PM

610 posts, read 3,015,960 times
The reason why everyone talks a bunch of crap about ILM is because it really isn't a good place to live unless you are established. For example, if you are a doctor and have your own practice then ILM would be a decent place to live, work, play, etc. However, if you are a recent college grad or looking for a job, ILM is the worst place to find any meaningful job that pays a decent wage. I believe the average salary is about $10 bucks an hour unless, like I said before, you are an established professional.

I think many magazines like Money and Newsweek publish articles about how ILM has a fairly cheap cost of living and how its close proximity to the beach make it an ideal place to live. But those magazines fail to point out the problems this town has like rampant corruption, high unemployment, and many other issues.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:36 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
heeha, you bring up a good point, some peoples' expectations seem a little off. These "CNN/Forbes" articles, and all the marketing sometimes does more harm than good. Some people take them at face value, as if they exist for any other reason than to sell magazines. People move down here for a job, or invest in real estate down here, and become disillusioned by the reality, compared to the bountiful opportunities they read about in the glossy magazine. Although I cannot pin it all on these articles - many people vacation here, and so they move here thinking in the back of their minds that it will be a vacation. The same phenomenon of discontent residents in tourist towns exists all across the world, not just Wilmington.

I grew up between Myrtle Beach and Columbia - I had barely even heard of Wilmington. Most people there don't know anything about it, so it is barely on the map to people 150 miles west. I had an interview - so I looked it up on Google maps, and I saw that it was surrounded by water, and had a university. I asked my dad and he said something like, "Well it is a dirty port city, like all port cities. It is close to myrtle beach so it's nothing but yankees, but the beach is nice." Those were the extent of my expectations of this area, and I have been happy here.

Last edited by le roi; 01-10-2010 at 03:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina