Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 10:13 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerguy45 View Post
Kitty Hawk is a great area to live ! Do not listen to the real estate agent from another area trying to b.s. you by saying we are isolated. Kitty Hawk is a wonderful place to raise a family. The schools cannot be beat by any other area in North Carolina. Check out Martins Point { Rumor has it Oprah is building there} Kitty Hawk Estates and Southern Shores.

I'm not a real estate agent and I live in the Goldsboro, NC at the moment and based out of Greenville, and the outerbanks falls under my stations area of operations in which we work intimately with the high schools. First Flight is a great school, but to say it can't be beat is pure hyperbole. It is one of the best schools in THAT area of NC and a great school overall. To say that a city with less than 4k people, who's nearest real town is about hr away, (elizabeth city, which is not a destination in it's own right) is not isolated is not true IMO. I guess the isolation is relative, if that's what you're used to. Going 30 min to get to Walmart growing up was no big deal, but living in N. VA. for a couple years,with 3 walmarts within 5 miles of my house, anything that was more than 15min away was down right inconvenient.

The actual real estate agent said nothing bad about kitty hawk, just what was good about his area. The OP asked about other options, thats what she's been given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 11:27 AM

264 posts, read 907,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I'm not a real estate agent and I live in the Goldsboro, NC at the moment and based out of Greenville, and the outerbanks falls under my stations area of operations in which we work intimately with the high schools. First Flight is a great school, but to say it can't be beat is pure hyperbole. It is one of the best schools in THAT area of NC and a great school overall. To say that a city with less than 4k people, who's nearest real town is about hr away, (elizabeth city, which is not a destination in it's own right) is not isolated is not true IMO. I guess the isolation is relative, if that's what you're used to. Going 30 min to get to Walmart growing up was no big deal, but living in N. VA. for a couple years,with 3 walmarts within 5 miles of my house, anything that was more than 15min away was down right inconvenient.

The actual real estate agent said nothing bad about kitty hawk, just what was good about his area. The OP asked about other options, thats what she's been given.
You do not know what you are talking about, 1st of all there is a Wal Mart in Kitty Hawk, has been for 15 plus years, your just factually incorrect. There are 30,000 full time residents here when you combine the towns,[ As you know, Duck, Southern Shores,Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, Nags Head and Manteo all border each other} so don't try and make it out that there are only 4,000 people here, would an area with 4,000 people have Harris-Teeters and Food Lions ?

First Flight cannot be beat, our area uses taxes collected from tourist to fund our schools and recreation facilities. The HS baseball field is considered the finest HS field in the nation by many. I am from the DC area and sent my kids to private schools up there and First Flight is as good or better then those private schools. I also lived in San Diego where the area I lived in had great schools, so I do know something about schools. The final point is we have better waves then any other area on the east coast. You may want to keep your comments to Goldsboro because you are just wrong about the Outer Banks.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:39 AM

79 posts, read 318,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post

If Goldsboro,Greenville,Elizabeth City and Wilmington are your definition of a "real town",so be it.I don't want any parts of it.Our crime is low and the quality of life is high.

On my way to Walmart in this isolated town,then to Applebee's

Old 06-07-2010, 03:03 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerguy45 View Post
You do not know what you are talking about, 1st of all there is a Wal Mart in Kitty Hawk, has been for 15 plus years, your just factually incorrect. There are 30,000 full time residents here when you combine the towns,[ As you know, Duck, Southern Shores,Kitty Hawk, Kill Devil Hills, Nags Head and Manteo all border each other} so don't try and make it out that there are only 4,000 people here, would an area with 4,000 people have Harris-Teeters and Food Lions ?

First Flight cannot be beat, our area uses taxes collected from tourist to fund our schools and recreation facilities. The HS baseball field is considered the finest HS field in the nation by many. I am from the DC area and sent my kids to private schools up there and First Flight is as good or better then those private schools. I also lived in San Diego where the area I lived in had great schools, so I do know something about schools. The final point is we have better waves then any other area on the east coast. You may want to keep your comments to Goldsboro because you are just wrong about the Outer Banks.

I feel the area is isolated, as do others. You don't, that's fine. Why attack me for it? I said nothing negative about the outer banks except that it's isolated. I'm not the only one who has that opinion. I never said you didn't have a Walmart. I only used the walmart example to show things are relative. I never said Kitty Hawk had bad schools. Using objective standards, (US News & World Reports, Greatschools.org, test results, performance of HS Athletics and extracurricular activiities) First Flight is not better than the schools I listed. Again, in no way is it bad.I never said Kitty Hawk was a bad place to raise a family either. I've been to San Diego as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxfisherman View Post
If Goldsboro,Greenville,Elizabeth City and Wilmington are your definition of a "real town",so be it.I don't want any parts of it.Our crime is low and the quality of life is high.

On my way to Walmart in this isolated town,then to Applebee's
No offense to anyone from Goldsboro (or the other cities you listed) but if I had choice I wouldn't be part of it either. Now Havelock on the other hand

Old 06-07-2010, 03:21 PM

6 posts, read 69,084 times
Thanks everyone for all your input. I live in Vermont, which is about as isolated as you can get at times in the dead of winter. Sometimes solitude is not a bad thing. Anyway, it's something that I'm familiar with. I've been on several forums and threads including the outer banks connection and I know the Kitty Hawk area is where I want to be more than anything. Being from Vermont my kids are use to small communities and small schools. It would be perfect for them. I know they would love it. In addition, we would be trading the beauty of untouched mountainous landscape to the same on the coast. I'm very excited about it.

What can anyone tell me about insurance for coastal property?

Old 06-08-2010, 10:42 AM

15 posts, read 91,008 times
New Bern is a wonderful family oriented town that is on the water (two rivers that become a bay and lead to the beaches) - yet much safer when considering hurricanes. There are many, many transplants here from the NE who have relocated for warmer water, lower priced housing and the overall community aspect that you get with a town the size of New Bern.

There are many arts, literary and community involvement projects for kids that look fabulous on a college application. Nicholas Sparks (author) and Beverly Perdue (Gov. of NC and New Bern native) have brought a lot of money and development into town. The NC history museum (open 8/2010, Tryon Palace and a wealth of history bring in many visitors.

Trent Woods, Taberna and Riverbend are some of the most popular neighborhoods for families.

Good luck!

Old 06-08-2010, 10:52 AM

15 posts, read 91,008 times
New Bern has many families.

The New Bern side of the river.......

The family neighborhoods are Trent Woods

Tight knit community with holiday parades, volunteer firehouse with pick up football games in the field next door, very active volunteer base in the community, great elementary school, great family park with birthday parties, tons of walkers, joggers, very active parent involvement in scouts, sports and New Bern Country Club. Nicholas Sparks, Governor Purdue, many doctors, lawyers, realtors, accountants, teachers, telecommuters and stay at home moms in this community. This is the only family neighborhood in New Bern that kids can walk or ride bikes to the elementary school.

Trent Woods offers the easiest access to decent retail - Target, Walmart, new TJ Maxx, Mall, Staples, many restaurants, Starbucks, doctors galore, hospital and easy access to downtown. Great if you are a telecommuter (need paper and printer cartridges), great if you are a mom (need poster board and soccer gear). Great if you are a doc/nurse/dentist and want to come home for lunch!

River Bend is similar with a country club, community activities, parades, but the elementary school is outside of the community - not walkable.

The James City side of the river (1 grocery store,fewer choices for restaurants/retail, main sports park for New Bern is here - soccer/softball)

Taberna has its own country club in the community with many family oriented activities. The elementary school is not walkable.

Bryce's creek includes many subdivisions and more forested areas if you are looking for more seclusion. There are many families on this side of town - not sure how community based this area is (maybe someone can enlighten?). The airport is in this area. The school is not walkable.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:15 PM

6 posts, read 69,084 times
Thanks! Just a reminder that I'm not a "yankee" or a new englander. I'm from NC and lived there my entire life until only a few years ago.

Vermont is an awesome place to live and the decision to move back hasn't been an easy one. Especially now that we have kids to factor into the equation.

I do have a pretty good picture of where I want be when I move back, the different coastal communities, schools, etc. The Dare County website gives a lot of great information including info regarding property taxes. I'm fairly certain the Kitty Hawk/Kill Devil Hills area is where we want to be. It seems to be a coastal version of where we currently are in Vermont. We would just be trading mountains for the beach. A pretty fair trade off in my opinion.

Now, I just need to sell my house. wish us luck!!!

Old 06-09-2010, 07:27 AM

838 posts, read 2,523,908 times
I grew up in Morehead City and would have to say it is a great place to raise kids. The only thing I don't like about it now is the strip malls that seem to be being built further and further down Hwy 70. As Morehead has grown, little thought has gone into keeping the small town feel.

If you decide to live at the beach, get a house on the water. Sure, you can buy for less inland, but if you're going to all the trouble to live on the coast, get a house with a view. Boat access would be awesome. There are many options in that regards, especially around Bogue Sound. Or, if you like that remote feel, lots of fishing communities down east, like Otway, Harker's Island, etc...

As for the OBX, I don't think you can go wrong there, but you might get a feeling of isolation depending on where you live. I've spent many weeks on vacation at the OBX and really love visiting, but couldn't see myself ever buying a place there. We usually stay down in Avon/Salvo, which is very isolated, but the Kitty Hawk area appears to be a thriving community. Everyone is very friendly there too!

Otherwise, you may want to consider Wilmington also. I really like the downtown area around the water. There's lots of strip malls there too (can you tell I don't like those?! :-) ). I've heard the schools are pretty good there also.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 28,681 times
I was born and raised in the Newport/Morehead City area. Having grown up here, let me just forewarn you that everyone under the age of 25 thinks Carteret County is a soul-sucking, earthly extension of hell. I know that kids usually feel that way about the city they were raised in but it's pretty discouraging when NONE of the youth can say that they want to stay in the area OR come back after college. There is absolutely nothing for them to do and so most kids fix that issue by getting into trouble. There are also not a whole lot of job opportunities unless you are in construction or real estate. While MHC has grown up a lot in the past 5 years, it really hasn't added any class to the area. There are some really nice and beautiful places, but you usually have to look hard to find them and they are more geared towards adults (and older adults at that). When my husband and I got married, I told him that if we had to stay in Carteret County (which we did due to his job -sigh-) then we were going to live on Atlantic Beach. Still nothing to do, but it lacks some of the pretentiousness that MHC is gathering around itself. Also, during the winter, the beach is absolutely dead. I appreciate the quiet and the more friendly feeling the area develops during this time.

Please do not move to Havelock. While there are some nice places hidden away, overall it is pretty trashy and most people who live there end up spending a good part of their time in Morehead. Cape Carteret is an older, nice little town, but it is tiny. And I do mean tiny. It caters more towards retired folks than families with kids. Again, there is not much to do.

If given the chance, my husband and I both agree we would move to the Kill Devil Hills/Kitty Hawk area in a heartbeat. It's still small, but the Outer Banks just have a certain amount of heart that the Crystal Coast lacks. The Kill Devil Hills area has all the conveniences you could ask for (Wal-Mart, Harris Teeter, chain restaurants, etc) while still maintaining its integrity. I must agree with what someone above me said, If you are going to live on the beach, get a view. Life on the beach is just so much better than it is even a few miles inland.

I by no means hate Carteret County, but it certainly wouldn’t be my first pick of places to move if I had all of Eastern North Carolina to choose from.

Last edited by sourmilknightmares; 06-09-2010 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: mysterious font tags
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina