Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 02:23 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,772,201 times

Advertisements

I have some pretty decent stuff. Lots of signed baseball and football cards. I am a Redskins fan so I have most of their yearbooks, some programs from different eras and some other knick knacks.

You can find anything on eBay, but beware the hordes of countefeits. Also takes the fun away if you just buy stuff there. You can build a pretty decent collection by watching out for free signings (grabbed two Darrel Greens and two Art Monks that way), book promotions (grabbed Bill Russel that way), fan fests, practices, etc. A good deal of players will still sign a card if you send it to them. Look for one of kind items like franchise promotions- I grabbed a bunch of Darrel Green bobbleheads that were only sold in DC area McDs for a month.

Chose something to focus on- your favorite team or maybe a particular era or year. I saw a website where a guy collects USFL stuff as he is fascinated by defunct leagues.

Like all collections, it can start to swallow up space after some time and you need to spend money for protective materials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 03:33 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,907,108 times
I have football and baseball cards from the 60-70's.

Original Mark Martin autographed Roush Racing jacket.

Along with some Mark McGwire and LeBron James stuff.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:57 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,890,042 times
I collected cards alot as a kid. From about 86/87 to 92/93.

In the last few years, I've been buying what I couldn't get as a kid (or upgrading what I had).

In the last few weeks I've gotten boxes of 84 Fleer, 90 Leaf, 90 OPC Premier hockey, 81 Donruss. They're alot of fun to open up and go through.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:03 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Anyone have any hints on where to get info on vintage NFL game programs?

I have one purported to be from the '20s and would like to authenticate it...........................or not

Old 12-17-2008, 10:07 AM

18,212 posts, read 25,848,753 times
That has got to be collectible Burdell! COOL! I haven't collected in a couple decades but the reference books that I always went by when I was active was the Beckett price guide and Sport Collectors digest price guide. The only thing is at that time (early 80's) they only had books on the cards themselves and not the memorabilia. By now I would think there would be reference books on the memorabilia, especially the paper goods. Google pro football memorabilia and hit the first listing-"collectible antiques for sale"

It was a listing of various game programs for various teams, games, and conditions of the paper goods themselves. There are probably a lot of sellers on that page. The one thing I look for with a dealers name is if he has a PSA involved with his advertisement/letterhead. PSA is professional sports authenticator. If they do this for a living part of their income is appraising collections and authenticating them.The two companies listed above have web sites. Hopefully they have the info you need. I wish I would have kept up with the hobbie but with medical issues at the time I had to part with it. I miss it because sports memorabilia collecting is a GREAT hobbie!

Good luck on your search.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-17-2008 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 12-17-2008, 10:23 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
That has got to be collectible Burdell! COOL! I haven't collected in a couple decades but the reference books that I always went by when I was active was the Beckett price guide and Sport Collectors digest price guides. The only thing is at that time (early 80's) they only had books on the cards themselves and not the memorabilia. By now I would think there would be reference books on the memorabilia, especially the paper goods.

I hope so, there are things that make me believe it's authentic (mostly yellowing and a general 'aged' look) and things (some of the pix appear printed from damaged originals) that make me think it may be a repro, I'm having a difficult time finding anything to compare it to.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:54 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,733,173 times
I have a poster that I bought, from an auction, of the LPGA players from 2006 signed by all of them (including Gulbis, Sorenstam, Creamer, Park, Ochoa, etc).

Old 12-19-2008, 10:09 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,931,823 times
I have so much hockey/baseball stuff. Tons of baseballs used from spring training games, balls signed by different Braves players, a jersey signed by about 20 Braves players over the last 10 years, a Chipper Jones signed jersey, 200+ Chipper Jones' signed cards including a few very very rare rookie cards (can you tell I'm a fan of him? lol), a cardbook with baseball and hockey cards, a hockey stick of a former Ranger, a game puck from an NHL game that my dad caught when I was a kid, and various signed cards by Braves, Rangers, and Islanders players, and a Rangers jersey signed by about 30 Rangers over the last 12 years or so. I can't stand the Islanders, but as a teenager my hockey team was sponsored by the Islanders, so we met them a few times and went to games regularly. When I get a house I want to someday make a room dedicated to all the memorabilia I have. This is all stuff I've gotten over a span of about 15 years. Despite how much money this stuff is worth, I would never sell it.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:23 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,615,129 times
I have about 10,000 1980's vintage baseball cards, but the two best items I have is a official National League baseball autographed by Sandy Koufax and Don Drysdale on the same ball. Also a commemorative hat recognizing Pete Rose's baseball hit record, with his signature on the bill of the hat. Don't know if it's worth anything, but I have it in a case, and it has never been worn.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:07 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,726,826 times
I collect Cubs hats currently. Fitted Cubs hats.

I use to collect Jordan art. I have 2 posters of him dunking. The famous 3:51 dunk from free throw line, and "the art of the dunk" white background with like half second intervals outlining the "dunk"...
http://www.nbaloud.com/images/michae...line-dunk-.jpg

I also have this thing that is layered in sheets of red, blue, clear, smoke, green...when altogether it makes up a nice picture of jordan standing. It is like 4 ft high by 2 ft...rare I think.

I was cleaning out a closet and realized I am not ready to give these up...Jordan was just too classic for me in the 90s...growing up being 12-15 watching all those years.

I have lil things I've picked up over the years from Lakers Carls Jr collectibles..but I will be giving away this weekend.

My dad bought me the 88 and 89 Topps complete set...one good card I have is Griffey Jr. rookie in unopened box set...not sure if it will be worth much though.

I have tin signs of Cubs and a miniature "Wrigley Field" sign that is on the front porch...from now on I collect only Cubs stuff.
Also have some Tony Stewart stuff too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques