Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 06:45 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times

Advertisements

I am not a coin collector, but would like a beat up large cent with the date still showing from 1805 to no later than 1828. If anyone has a beater extra i could buy for a with in reason price like a couple bucks to include postage, I would appreciate a pm.

The why is i want to replace a necklace I lost touring the USA. If the coin has a hole drilled it all the better, but i can drill a hole myself.

I do not want a mint collectible coin, as I will destroy it's value drilling a hole, so a cull is just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 04:12 PM

10 posts, read 19,717 times
I have some Ottoma Empire coins. The expensive ones. My favorite one is the one that was belonged to Sultan Selim.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:34 PM

24,396 posts, read 23,053,611 times
I got a lincoln wheat penny in my change today, 1956 D. It was also an error which made it catch my eye. I believe its called a broad strike error, the edge rim of a penny is normally raised but on this one its stamped lower.The edge is actually thinner than the rest of the coin Its seen some wear from over the years and the defect has definitely caused it to wear more than normal. I have no idea of what its value is.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:03 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,237,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
I am not a coin collector, but would like a beat up large cent with the date still showing from 1805 to no later than 1828. If anyone has a beater extra i could buy for a with in reason price like a couple bucks to include postage, I would appreciate a pm.

The why is i want to replace a necklace I lost touring the USA. If the coin has a hole drilled it all the better, but i can drill a hole myself.

I do not want a mint collectible coin, as I will destroy it's value drilling a hole, so a cull is just fine.
Yeah sure.... Good Luck.....

Old 03-15-2010, 04:21 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,296,878 times
Well, it isn't a coin, but I do have a 1928 Series $2 bill. I've had it since the 80's and just couldn't make myself spend it. It's tucked away.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Yeah sure.... Good Luck.....
Oh one day one will turn up. I have the antique trade beads now,and i am very good at waiting and finding.

Look up Prarie Edge 'prairieedge' not sure i can post a link and not be accused of selling. This is so you might get an idea of what and why...

Cull coins with a hole drilled in them are what i am after, and most of time are ruined as collectors. I get real silver dollars you can hardly tell were silver dollars and beat them up into other things all the time.

But I don't ruin collectable coins ever. When I come by those they go to collectors.

I do have a few collectable coins, that I like, and or use to show people who are interested in seeing a real coin, as compared to what I would make from them. I beat yp brand new Thaylers dollars when i can get any. I still have a few left not yet beat up, but these are copies coins just still made of silver, not older historical coins.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:32 PM

1,742 posts, read 6,138,290 times
Antique trade beads?

Hard to believe a 1778 Spanish dollar coin is only worth a few bucks now

I used to casually collect, and I've got some silver dollars, 20th century half dollars, mercury dimes, etc. I know my grandma has a big old jar full of pennies, so are there any I should check out. There are probably some dimes, nickles, and quarters in there too. So any particular ones to look for or beyond a certain date? Also what kind of value would any to look out for be worth?

Old 04-24-2010, 01:16 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,181,738 times
That's a really complicated question. It isn't just the date, but the condition, how many were minted, how many are left, the demand from collectorrs, etc. Any pre-1965 dimes, quarters, and halves are 90% silver.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
Antique trade beads?

Hard to believe a 1778 Spanish dollar coin is only worth a few bucks now

I used to casually collect, and I've got some silver dollars, 20th century half dollars, mercury dimes, etc. I know my grandma has a big old jar full of pennies, so are there any I should check out. There are probably some dimes, nickles, and quarters in there too. So any particular ones to look for or beyond a certain date? Also what kind of value would any to look out for be worth?

Yeah glass antique trade beads.... Native Americans traded furs and hides for these beads. A trade in beads is ages old. I have older made of clay apx 5,000 years old. Natives traded for lots of other things as well.

There are books written for these. I collect them, and used to display them with a Fur Trapper character i developed for schools, as a living historian.

There are hundreds of types, and of these like a bad mint coin, odd ones are worth more.

Your coin jar, if it has pre 1964 dimes, quarters, 1/2s then those coins would be 90% silver.

I forget what year pennies were no longer made of all copper, but finding out is easy. In WW-2 pennies were made of steel for a time, and these teel coins are getting collected and so are getting rare.

I am not a coin collector for the sake of collecting coins, but have some odd silver coins.

Who says your spanish mill dollars are not worth much? On the other hand what's much? And condition in coins is every thing.

I have a spanish mill dollar made in 1812, and it is worth around 28 bucks which is more than it's silver weight. It was a used and circulated coin, so not in mint condition, but not worn out either.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:33 AM

445 posts, read 1,344,101 times
For anyone into Ancient Coin Collecting:

Beware that the import of Ancient Roman Coins is currently on the chopping block (potentially).

Italy and the United States have a 'memorandum of understanding' (MOU) regarding cultural patrimony and associated objects. Right now, ancient coins are not included in that memorandum, however, on April 22nd, a comment period closed regarding the renewal of that MOU and the possible addition of coins to the list of objects prohibited to import is being considered.

What this means is that even if you buy an ancient Roman coin from a dealer in Germany or the UK, it could be confiscated by US customs and given to Italy. This will only impact the US- the rest of the globe will continue to freely transact in them, save for a couple middle-eastern countries that have strict laws regarding the possession of ancient coins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques