Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 05:30 PM

20,523 posts, read 33,590,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
You seriously think that the athletic departments care about which schools are known for research? Texas is going to jump to whichever conference will let them run the show like they have been doing in the SWC and Big XII.
The Athletic department doesn't care. But the athletic department at Texas isn't making the decision. If they did, they would be in the SEC now. The BOR wanted Texas in either the Pac 10 or Big 10. Texas would go independent before they even head to the SEC.

BTW, 4 of the Big 12 South teams will officially head to the Pac 10 on Wednesday. So by Tuesday, it will be the Pac 15. Bass is correct that culturally TX fits in the SEC. But academically, Texas fits in the Pac 10 or Big 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 05:34 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,616,481 times
Quote:
The Big XII is 7-10 in BCS bowl games. The only conference that they beat is the ACC. That is including the Mountain West, Big East, and the WAC.
I guess you are not including the Big10, Pac10 or SEC? The Big12 has beat teams from those 3 conferences in BCS bowls as well. Nice try though.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 06-11-2010 at 05:43 PM..

Old 06-11-2010, 05:34 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,296,779 times
Nebraska isn't anything special if you take away their football program. when the Big Ten says that they are a fit, they only mean in football because they can make them money, not for basketball or any other sport, and certainly not for academics.

Way to lower your standards, Big Ten.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:51 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,363,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
I guess you are not including the Big10, Pac10 or SEC? The Big12 has beat teams from those 3 conferences in BCS bowls as well. Nice try though.
Congrats on the occasional victories but, yes, I did include every conference. When I said "the only conference that they beat," I was referring to the only conference that they beat in winning percentage.

Here is the rundown of each conference's BCS winning percentage:

SEC .737
MWC .667
WAC .667
Pac 10 .643
Big East .500
Big 10 .476
Big 12 .438
ACC .167

The Big 12 also has the LOWEST winning percentage in the BCS National Championship game at .286. Only one conference is undefeated in the championship game.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:56 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,616,481 times
Quote:
The Big XII is 7-10 in BCS bowl games. The only conference that they beat is the ACC. That is including the Mountain West, Big East, and the WAC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Quote:
Congrats on the occasional victories but, yes, I did include every conference.

Well then, I guess your OP should have read "the only Conf that they beat are the ACC, SEC, Pac10 and Big10"

Old 06-11-2010, 06:43 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,179,689 times
I hate soccer, but I'm in agreement with RjRobb on this one. I don't watch games to root for or against a tv market. I watch games to root for or against a school.

The situation in the SWC had become toxic by its end, and when Arkansas left there was no hope left. However, even if they hadn't it was only a matter of time until someone else did as the schools could no longer trust each other. It was noble of the Big 8 to step in and agree to a merger to save some of the schools.

This situation is shameful not noble. The Pac 10, Big 10, Texas, Colorado, and Nebraska are prostituting themselves out to the tv networks. They're going places they have no history in solely for money. Missouri would be as well if anyone wanted what they were selling. To the extent that there is any justice it looks like they may end up in C-USA or the Sun Belt before all is said and done.

As much as I think the SEC and MWC may end up being ones who come off looking best in this by offering the Oklahoma schools an option against Texas' blackmail and giving the Big 12 refugees a home, I don't think either option as good as it takes both conferences well out of their historical footprint, and it does that only because of the shameful actions of the Pac 10 and Big 10 not because of some natural progression.

If you kill the regionality of college football, as this will go a long way towards doing, you've killed what makes the game unique. It will be pro football, and the paying of the players won't be far behind. After all a third of the top schools in the game are showing right now that all they care about is money no matter the cost. What profiteth it a school or contract if it sells its soul for a fat tv contract?

Old 06-11-2010, 06:59 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,003,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
And Texas won @ Ohio State.

We agree on that at least. This gives me more of a reason to hate Michigan, which I already do.

...there's 1.
I went to the Texas game in the Shoe and what a game it was... we returned the favor in Austin... lost in the bowl game in another snot knocker. I got along with Horns fans they seemed to like Hiney Gate . They thought we were like Michigan fans found out in the Rose Bowl why we hate them...the worst ever.

Last edited by Dumbdowndemocrats; 06-11-2010 at 07:07 PM..

Old 06-11-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
snip
You and Coach Broyles agree on a lot of points.

Sherrington: Frank Broyles not surprised to see 'misfit' Big 12 die: 'college football is the loser' | College Sports News | Sports News | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News

Old 06-11-2010, 10:50 PM

977 posts, read 1,958,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Nebraska isn't anything special if you take away their football program. when the Big Ten says that they are a fit, they only mean in football because they can make them money, not for basketball or any other sport, and certainly not for academics.

Way to lower your standards, Big Ten.
I don't think you are looking beyond Men's basketball. Yeah, the football program is the main focus here because it is one of the best in college football history. But you are forgetting that the chicks had a #1 seed in the tournament this march. Baseball and softball are consistently strong, as is wrestling and volleyball. Nebraska academics are no worse than your Big 10 schools. Suck it up. Your Illinois teams will be getting pounded even more regularly in the fall.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:09 PM

C'mon guys, let's be real. Football is all that really matters in this conference realignment. That is were the money is.

I know at Arkansas, the only sports that see a profit are football, basketball, and baseball; and Arkansas has won something like 50 national championships in track. Prestige in non-revenue producing sports is about as important as GPAs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football