Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who wins?
Oregon 40 54.05%
Auburn 34 45.95%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:03 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,896,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
You mean like the speed and athletic play that worked so well for Tennessee against Oregon?

You are correct. Luck is not in the same category as Cam-puter. He is much better.

Oregon in a blow-out.

Book it.
Auburn is NOT Tennessee...

As always Pac-10 fans want to judge how their conference does against mediocre SEC teams. They NEVER beat the BEST SEC team!!! And that's a fact...

Can any of you all even remember when the last time an SEC Champion lost their bowl game???

*crickets*

The reason you cannot remember is because it doesn't happen... As I have continued to say... The SEC will remain undefeated in BCS National Championship games... Auburn easily!!!

Old 12-07-2010, 08:04 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,784,973 times
Oregon is going to get embarrassed and there are going to be tears on the sideline.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:25 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,460,455 times
TALE OF THE TAPE- Oregon vs. Auburn

Below I have posted the statistical categories of both teams. I have first listed the categories Oregon has a statistical advantage. It is in the following format- category- national rank/yards or rating. Auburn's numbers are in parenthesis. After, I have listed what Auburn leads in. To my knowledge, these numbers are accurate. At times, I have rounded up for both teams.

Oregon leads in the following categories (Auburn in parenthesis):

Rushing Offense- 4th/304 ypg (6th/287 ypg)
Passing Offense- 48th/234 ypg (69th/211 ypg)
Total Offense- 2nd/538 ypg (7th/498 ypg)
Scoring Offense- 1st/49 ppg (6th/43 ppg)
Pass Efficiency Defense- 6th/101.65 (75th/132.19)
Total Defense- 25th/332 ypg (54th/362 ypg)
Scoring Defense- 14th/18 ppg (54th/24 ppg)
Net Punting- 20th/39 ypp (92nd/35 ypp)
Punt Returns- 1st/18 yards (91st/6 yards)- Oregon has also taken back 5 punt returns for tds
Turnover Margin- 7th/1.08 (33rd/.38)
Pass Defense- 56th/214 ypg (105th/250 ypg)
Sacks- 19th/2.58 per game (22nd/2.54 per game)
Tackles for Loss- 8th/7.50 per game (26th/6.77 per game)
Sacks Allowed- 5th/.67 per game (41st/1.62 per game)

Auburn leads in the following categories (Oregon in parenthesis);

Rushing Defense- 11th/112 ypg (16th/118 ypg)
Kickoff Returns- 23rd/24 yards (62nd/ 22 yards)
Passing Efficiency- 1st/186.86 (18th/151.71)

At a later date, I will post why I believe Oregon will defeat Auburn and how I think they can do it. Please note, I have been known to talk out my a$$ from time to time.

Last edited by Acuda; 12-07-2010 at 09:25 PM..

Old 12-07-2010, 08:30 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,219,689 times
Auburn 35
Oregon 10

Old 12-07-2010, 09:42 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
This is going to be a fun game, but I think Auburn prevails eventually. Why?

-- Auburn isn't just Cam Newton, but rather a very, very good offensive line, and a ton of other weapons at offense. Anybody who says Auburn is just Cam Newton isn't paying attention.

-- Actually, Auburn's defense isn't the problem. Rather, it's Auburn's secondary. Auburn actually has one of the top ten run defenses in the country.

-- Two dominating lines, both offensive and defensive.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
TALE OF THE TAPE- Oregon vs. Auburn

Below I have posted the statistical categories of both teams. I have first listed the categories Oregon has a statistical advantage. It is in the following format- category- national rank/yards or rating. Auburn's numbers are in parenthesis. After, I have listed what Auburn leads in. To my knowledge, these numbers are accurate. At times, I have rounded up for both teams.

Oregon leads in the following categories (Auburn in parenthesis):

Rushing Offense- 4th/304 ypg (6th/287 ypg)
Passing Offense- 48th/234 ypg (69th/211 ypg)
Total Offense- 2nd/538 ypg (7th/498 ypg)
Scoring Offense- 1st/49 ppg (6th/43 ppg)
Pass Efficiency Defense- 6th/101.65 (75th/132.19)
Total Defense- 25th/332 ypg (54th/362 ypg)
Scoring Defense- 14th/18 ppg (54th/24 ppg)
Net Punting- 20th/39 ypp (92nd/35 ypp)
Punt Returns- 1st/18 yards (91st/6 yards)- Oregon has also taken back 5 punt returns for tds
Turnover Margin- 7th/1.08 (33rd/.38)
Pass Defense- 56th/214 ypg (105th/250 ypg)
Sacks- 19th/2.58 per game (22nd/2.54 per game)
Tackles for Loss- 8th/7.50 per game (26th/6.77 per game)
Sacks Allowed- 5th/.67 per game (41st/1.62 per game)

Auburn leads in the following categories (Oregon in parenthesis);

Rushing Defense- 11th/112 ypg (16th/118 ypg)
Kickoff Returns- 23rd/24 yards (62nd/ 22 yards)
Passing Efficiency- 1st/186.86 (18th/151.71)

At a later date, I will post why I believe Oregon will defeat Auburn and how I think they can do it. Please note, I have been known to talk out my a$$ from time to time.
Well, I'm not sure that simply comparing rankings in individual statistics is at all meaningful. To me, all one has to do is compare strength of schedule to see that the foundation of your argument is on shaky ground:

Congrove: Auburn (10), Oregon (70)
CBS Sportsline: Auburn (4), Oregon (68)
GBE: Auburn (17), Oregon (90)
NCAA: Auburn (4), Oregon (76)

And those are just the first four I've found. I'm sure most other SOS rankings will be fairly consistent with what I found in about ten seconds on Goggle. So basically, what you're doing is looking at Oregon numbers that are inflated by inferior opponents based on most measures. Mind you, I'm not really an SEC homer. Rather I'm just looking at what the various gearheads say.

Even then, I don't think the comparisons are that far out of whack in most places. For example, Auburn is almost identical in terms of offensive output--yet they've earned that ranking against much stiffer competition.

Now I agree that the numbers are suspect for Auburn's secondary. At the same time, Auburn's numbers are better in rushing defense despite having once again played against a far tougher slate of opponents.

I mean, if you want to use those numbers to feel good about yourself, then knock yourself out. But I have a feeling that such a comparison is useless, the equivalent of apples to oranges.

Last edited by cpg35223; 12-07-2010 at 10:11 PM..

Old 12-07-2010, 10:31 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,460,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, I'm not sure that simply comparing rankings in individual statistics is at all meaningful. To me, all one has to do is compare strength of schedule to see that the foundation of your argument is on shaky ground:

Congrove: Auburn (10), Oregon (70)
CBS Sportsline: Auburn (4), Oregon (68)
GBE: Auburn (17), Oregon (90)
NCAA: Auburn (4), Oregon (76)

And the list goes on. So basically, what you're doing is looking at Oregon numbers that are inflated based on playing inferior opponents based on most measures.

Even then, I don't think the comparisons are that far out of whack in most place. For example, Auburn is almost identical in terms of offensive output--yet they've earned that ranking against must stiffer competition.

Now I agree that the numbers are suspect for Auburn's secondary. At the same time, Auburn's numbers are better in rushing defense despite having once again played against a far tougher slate of opponents.

I mean, if you want to use those numbers to feel good about yourself, but I have a feeling that they're just useless, the equivalent of apples to oranges.
What? You are really going to pull that s**t off my post. Don't jump the gun chief. I haven't made any point yet. I simply posted the statistics. I thought it would be interesting to take a look at what each team is dealing with. Believe me, you'll know when I state my case for Oregon. But, maybe you won't know considering you obviously took my post as the end all argument for a Duck victory (regardless of me stating I'll soon post why I believe the Ducks will win).

Also, I am well aware of Auburn's schedule (which includes some great wins, average wins, and some come from behind wins/near losses to mediocre teams). That will all be discussed.

So, if you are going to try and talk smack and make comments about me needing to "feel good about my self" you can take a hike and bait someone else. I'm loving being a Duck fan, in the NC for the first time, and for all intents and purposes, underdogs heading into that game with the big, bad, scary SEC team. As I mentioned before, I will post why I think the Ducks will win when I feel like it. I have over 30 more days to do that. Since this is a thread about the NC game, I welcome insight into each team (the whole SOS thing is beaten to death as that is not really insight). I'll share my insight into my Ducks later. Now, don't be surprised that there are actually people out there who just might think the Ducks have a shot, "despite Auburn's outlandishly difficult schedule." I am one of them.

Last edited by Acuda; 12-07-2010 at 11:12 PM..

Old 12-08-2010, 02:54 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,509,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Auburn is NOT Tennessee...

As always Pac-10 fans want to judge how their conference does against mediocre SEC teams. They NEVER beat the BEST SEC team!!! And that's a fact...

Can any of you all even remember when the last time an SEC Champion lost their bowl game???

*crickets*

The reason you cannot remember is because it doesn't happen... As I have continued to say... The SEC will remain undefeated in BCS National Championship games... Auburn easily!!!
Typical, predictable response from an SEC honk. West Virginia beat Georgia just a couple years ago when UGA won the SEC. And Utah wiped out an undefeated Alabama team in the Sugar Bowl. And how about all those Nebraska teams? And all those Florida losses to FSU and Miami when they won the SEC? How quickly SEC honks forget.

Funny, you say Oregon can't hang with an SEC team. I point out they killed Tennessee a couple weeks ago. You say they aren't your typical SEC team. LOLs. That's why you guys say you're the best. If you win a game then you brag to everyone about it. If you lose, you have some type of excuse as to why it didn't really count. LOLS.

Auburn's closest game this year was Clemson. No one in the SEC played 'em all that tough.
It's just like this year. In the past you all always say ther winner of the SEC title game should get an auto bid to the the NT game. But in 2010, if USCeast beat Auburn it doesn't count and Auburn should go anyway. LOLs. Pathetic.

(edit)

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-08-2010 at 08:17 AM..

Old 12-08-2010, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
What? You are really going to pull that s**t off my post. Don't jump the gun chief. I haven't made any point yet. I simply posted the statistics. I thought it would be interesting to take a look at what each team is dealing with. Believe me, you'll know when I state my case for Oregon. But, maybe you won't know considering you obviously took my post as the end all argument for a Duck victory (regardless of me stating I'll soon post why I believe the Ducks will win).

Also, I am well aware of Auburn's schedule (which includes some great wins, average wins, and some come from behind wins/near losses to mediocre teams). That will all be discussed.

So, if you are going to try and talk smack and make comments about me needing to "feel good about my self" you can take a hike and bait someone else. I'm loving being a Duck fan, in the NC for the first time, and for all intents and purposes, underdogs heading into that game with the big, bad, scary SEC team. As I mentioned before, I will post why I think the Ducks will win when I feel like it. I have over 30 more days to do that. Since this is a thread about the NC game, I welcome insight into each team (the whole SOS thing is beaten to death as that is not really insight). I'll share my insight into my Ducks later. Now, don't be surprised that there are actually people out there who just might think the Ducks have a shot, "despite Auburn's outlandishly difficult schedule." I am one of them.
You begin multipart argument with a really pointless comparison and then expect us to take all subsequent points seriously? That's the kind of stuff lazy sportswriters pull when they're trying to blow air into a story and don't have enough column-inches of actual substance to fill up the empty space on the page. I mean, if you use Oregon's gaudy numbers as the foundation of your argument, then I get to use mine. While I don't doubt for a skinny minute that Oregon is an exceptionally talented team, SOS is a heck of a lot better measure of what a team has done over the course of the season.

No, I don't think the SEC is the end-all, be-all gold standard of football and I certainly think Auburn has flaws, but to dismiss SOS is to expose oneself as a dilettante, a dabbler, the equivalent of unleashing a massive fart when you first take the microphone on American Idol. After all, allegedly championship BCS teams such as Ohio State have boasted some pretty impressive statistics after mincing their way through football's equivalent of pillow fight, only to start pissing peach pits when they encountered a team that had, week in and week out, been through football's equivalent of murderers row.

So go ahead and keep working on your opus. But while you state that you'll devote 30 more days to your prognosticating, this isn't a promising beginning. It's akin to having a couple of egregious typos on the first page of your novel and saying, "But wait! It gets better!" I'm thinking sheep entrails will prove more accurate.

Last edited by cpg35223; 12-08-2010 at 04:07 AM..

Old 12-08-2010, 11:33 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,896,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Typical, predictable response from an SEC honk. West Virginia beat Georgia just a couple years ago when UGA won the SEC. And Utah wiped out an undefeated Alabama team in the Sugar Bowl. And how about all those Nebraska teams? And all those Florida losses to FSU and Miami when they won the SEC? How quickly SEC honks forget.

Funny, you say Oregon can't hang with an SEC team. I point out they killed Tennessee a couple weeks ago. You say they aren't your typical SEC team. LOLs. That's why you guys say you're the best. If you win a game then you brag to everyone about it. If you lose, you have some type of excuse as to why it didn't really count. LOLS.

Auburn's closest game this year was Clemson. No one in the SEC played 'em all that tough.
It's just like this year. In the past you all always say ther winner of the SEC title game should get an auto bid to the the NT game. But in 2010, if USCeast beat Auburn it doesn't count and Auburn should go anyway. LOLs. Pathetic.

(edit)
You are talking smack because Oregon beat Tennessee (6-6 and not ranked all year)... whoop Dee Doo!!!

Georgia is the only SEC Champion to lose their bowl game in the past 10 years!!! Name another conference that can say that...

And When Alabama lost to Utah they were not the SEC champion!!! And they were not undefeated as they had lost to Florida (who was the SEC Champion and went on to win the National Championship!!!)

Those Miami and FSU losses must have been more than 10 years ago because in the last 10 years the SEC Champion is 9-1 in bowl games!!!

After the Auburn vs Oregon game they will be 10-1!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football