Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 06:26 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times

Advertisements

I feared that the super conferences were going to happen. Looks like it's fairly likely they will.

The latest piece that seems to be falling into place is Pitt and Syracuse leaving the Big East to go to the ACC. It appears the Big East's future is about as dim as the Big Twelve. It appears both will be picked bear.

Pitt and Syracuse bring the ACC to 14. A&M would take the SEC to the 13. And if Texas and Oklahoma schools were to join the Pac 12, it could go as high as 16.

Question is, at this point with the super conferences falling into place, will it finally be necessary for Notre Dame to give up their independence.

Another question of equal worth: if ND chooses not the give up independence, will it not at this point mean that the Irish face total irrelevancy in the major college football.

It is the highly desirable Big Ten that appears as at the small end of conference size. For ND that means the one conference that it would most like to join if it were to join a conference can accommodate it. But if it lets this window of opportunity pass, there may not be another one.

If the Big Ten, Pac 12, SEC, and ACC are to the be the super conferences with that magical number of four, isn't it more than likely that their four champions will go into a play-off? And that scenario leaves no place for Notre Dame.

Notre Dame's cat and mouse game on conference membership, mostly with the Big Ten as the only home it ever really would accept, has dragged on for an eternity.

wouldn't it be funny if the shifts in place right now resulted in a shockingly fast decision on the part of the Irish to join the Big Ten. Don't laugh. It could happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 02:29 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
I see your points--but, as long as ND has that lucrative NBC contract, they arent forced to do anything.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:55 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
I see your points--but, as long as ND has that lucrative NBC contract, they arent forced to do anything.
This. No need to go anywhere.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:46 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
edsg25...

I agree with you about the Big 12 & Big East being killed and their remains being eaten up by what will be the four Super conferences of 16.

SEC
Big10
Pac-12
ACC

While everyone was waiting on the Oklahoma to make the move to kill the Big 12... The ACC in a pre-emptive strike made sure it would be one of the big four feasting on the Big East, thus killing 2 conferences in one blow. They have firmly planted themselves as the fourth super conference now.

Baylor, has eliminated itself inadvertedly now by holding up the TAMU deal and allowing the ACC to pull this move. The Big East could have survived as one of the possible big four if it had a chance to get some of the Big 12 remains before the ACC took theirs. But now... I dont think it will be in the Big 4. The Big East will be around but not at the big four big boy round table of football.

UCONN and Rutgers are ready to jump to the ACC immediately. So the ACC knows they will have 16 schools with great TV leverage for football & basketball. The ACC is sitting nice.

The same four we always thought would go pac-12 are gonna go. TX, OK, OK State, and Texas Tech. I don't think Texas will risk being indy when the four super conferences get formed.

Big Ten would have liked an ACC or Big East school but with ACC getting stronger not weaker they are not getting one of the ACC schools. And who's left in the Big East for them? West Virginia... uh, never in big 10. Louisville... uh never in the Big 10. So Big Ten will be forced to choose from Mizzou, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, Baylor, TCU and of course ND. I know... i know, even i said ND would never join a conference. But if the Super Conferences happen they will have NO choice. having said that. the Big 10 may have to be the last conference to make 16 because they will hold out for ND. we all know this...

I think the real losers in all this will be the SEC. Why? No ACC schools are coming to the SEC now. none... they will be forced to look at West Virginia, Louisville, TCU, USF, Mizzou, and UCF. Not exactly the best out of the Big 12. And another problem with that is that Mizzou will want to be in the Big 10, so they will only take the SEC as a second option. That leaves some crappy options for the SEC. The SEC's only play will be to hold the Super Conference alliance hostage by staying at 13 unless they can get some better options. There may even be some insider trading between the ACC, Big10, and SEC to get the deals done. Because I don't see anyway the SEC takes the scraps. They will hold up the whole revolt if they dont get a couple of the ACC schools.

Disclaimer: These are just my thoughts and opinions.

Old 09-18-2011, 05:09 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,189,580 times
Quote:
Not unless the 64 in the super conferences leave the NCAA behind and start their own championship series. Then that "lucrative" NBC contract wont mean squat. Also I wouldn't really consider a 5 year $38 million dollar deal all that lucrative. That is what an average NBA player get paid.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:57 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
Not unless the 64 in the super conferences leave the NCAA behind and start their own championship series. Then that "lucrative" NBC contract wont mean squat. Also I wouldn't really consider a 5 year $38 million dollar deal all that lucrative. That is what an average NBA player get paid.
That deal was still the only one out there of its kind at the time. When it is up, you dont think they are going to re-up? Plus, if you are ND, who cares if they start their own championship series? Your deal is still in place. This whole thing is about the money, and until that gravy train that is NBC is gone, ND doesnt have to move.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:17 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,895,822 times
Quote:
Plus, if you are ND, who cares if they start their own championship series? Your deal is still in place. This whole thing is about the money, and until that gravy train that is NBC is gone, ND doesnt have to move.
You do understand that if it happens it will regulate all the other D-I programs not in the 64 as basically DII programs. And NBC will NOT give ND another deal like that to watch them play football that is all but irrelevant.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:28 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,571 times
To the OP,

it's still too early to know. I wasn't expecting this, I THEORIZED IT MAYBE HAPPENING but not this quick at the very least.

Make sure you read each side.....(wanna know Notre Dame, read the South Bend Tribune or even Notre Dame's school newspaper MAYBE, wanna know Texas...read the Austin American Statesmen)

DON'T READ RANDOM BLOGS OR FORUMS

If you really want (fan-based) good input on this topic.......

There are few places that are worth their salt but i know two.

They are Frank the Tank FRANK THE TANK’S SLANT

and Notre Dame's SBNation page One Foot Down - For Notre Dame Fighting Irish Fans

(If you have to choose between SBNation and Bleacher Report, SBNATION RULES INFINITY)

Old 09-19-2011, 12:55 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
If the Big Ten, Pac 12, SEC, and ACC are to the be the super conferences with that magical number of four, isn't it more than likely that their four champions will go into a play-off?
No. Why would it be?

Old 09-19-2011, 01:10 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
You do understand that if it happens it will regulate all the other D-I programs not in the 64 as basically DII programs. And NBC will NOT give ND another deal like that to watch them play football that is all but irrelevant.
exactly - what would have more value in the superconference times .... CBS holding the broadcast rights to the best SEC games everyweek or NBC sitting there broadcasting ND v Navy or whatever low interest school they want to use to pad their record

the TV landscape has changed drastically and it will continue to do so ... it's hard to discount the ABC/ESPN power, various conference networks (and individual school networks)

Now give CBS some credit here ... they paid a lot for the SEC rights, but they locked it in for a long period of time (15 years starting in 2008 - $50-$60M per year) .... if things go superconference and given the performance of the SEC schools that will be a steal compared to what other networks can get

there will be a lot of TV money from a lot of sources to divide up amongst conference members
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football