Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 08:58 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,961,779 times

Advertisements

Stanford is coming to Eugene to play Oregon in what will be Oregon's first test against a decently ranked defense. When Stanford went to Notre Dame the game went into overtime and Notre Dame won the game 20-13. I think this is the game that will teach us alot. Mainly this game will show us how a top ranked defense, whos probably developed a good game for us, will do against the explosive Oregon offense... who has the nations leading quarterback. Shhhh ...keep that on the downlow. But it will also reveal something about Notre dame. Notre Dames defense, ranked 8th in the nation, held Stanford to 13. What's your predictions and analysis?

Oregon 50
Stanford 10

Here's a couple of thought provokers:
- if our defense holds Stanford to less than 13, does that mean our 46th ranked D is better than Notre Dame's 8? I think so and it's because we now have a deeper team due to widespread playing time of all our players.

- if our offense scores over 20 what does that say about Notre Dames offense?

What do you expect to see? Big chance right here for the Duck doubters. Go for it.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:15 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,980,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Ducky View Post
Stanford is coming to Eugene to play Oregon in what will be Oregon's first test against a decently ranked defense. When Stanford went to Notre Dame the game went into overtime and Notre Dame won the game 20-13. I think this is the game that will teach us alot. Mainly this game will show us how a top ranked defense, whos probably developed a good game for us, will do against the explosive Oregon offense... who has the nations leading quarterback. Shhhh ...keep that on the downlow. But it will also reveal something about Notre dame. Notre Dames defense, ranked 8th in the nation, held Stanford to 13. What's your predictions and analysis?

Oregon 50
Stanford 10

Here's a couple of thought provokers:
- if our defense holds Stanford to less than 13, does that mean our 46th ranked D is better than Notre Dame's 8? I think so and it's because we now have a deeper team due to widespread playing time of all our players.

- if our offense scores over 20 what does that say about Notre Dames offense?

What do you expect to see? Big chance right here for the Duck doubters. Go for it.
So if you hold a mediocre Stanford offense to under 13 you think your defense is better than the #1 scoring defense in the country? Quite drinking the green and yellow kool-aid. Also ND's defense only gave up 6 points to Stanford, their lone touchdown came on a fumble in the endzone...it was a defensive touchdown. Don't forget that Oregon got TORCHED by USC to the tune of 51 points and 600 yards of total offense! 51 points! That's more than the Notre Dame defense surrendered it's first 6 games! That's almost half the total points we've given up all season! By no objective measure would Oregon's defense ever be considered better that Notre Dame's!

If you score more than 20 than all that means is what we already know: Oregon has a better offense than Notre Dame.

When we go into USC and hold them under 600 yards of total offense and less than 51 points will you concede that Notre Dame is better than Oregon? What if we beat them by more than 11? No you wouldn't admit anything like that so I don't see the point of this thread.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
So if you hold a mediocre Stanford offense to under 13 you think your defense is better than the #1 scoring defense in the country? Quite drinking the green and yellow kool-aid. Also ND's defense only gave up 6 points to Stanford, their lone touchdown came on a fumble in the endzone...it was a defensive touchdown. Don't forget that Oregon got TORCHED by USC to the tune of 51 points and 600 yards of total offense! 51 points! That's more than the Notre Dame defense surrendered it's first 6 games! That's almost half the total points we've given up all season! By no objective measure would Oregon's defense ever be considered better that Notre Dame's!

If you score more than 20 than all that means is what we already know: Oregon has a better offense than Notre Dame.

When we go into USC and hold them under 600 yards of total offense and less than 51 points will you concede that Notre Dame is better than Oregon? What if we beat them by more than 11? No you wouldn't admit anything like that so I don't see the point of this thread.
Wow...ok...yeah thats good defense.

Yes, well have two games to compare.

But I notice you wont predict a score.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Wow...ok...yeah thats good defense.

Yes, well have two games to compare.

But I notice you wont predict a score.
For what game? Stanford/Oregon or ND/USC? I don't generally predict scores for games because to me it's just a complete stab in the dark. I also don't really predict the outcomes of games either but do I try to think about the keys to the games for each side. I'm also holding off saying much about ND/USC because that game is not being played this weekend. Notre Dame still has Wake Forest this weekend that they need to take care of before they even think of USC.

As for Stanford/Oregon I would say the keys to that game would be:

For Stanford:
Ball control and time of possession. It's that simple. Control the ball and eat the clock. Oregon can't score if they don't have the ball. Take advantage of a banged up Oregon defense and run the ball down their throats with Stepfan Taylor. Utilize their tight ends Zach Ertz and Levine Toilolo as much as possible. Two or three long scoring drives that eat the clock will go a long way to tiring out Oregon's defense and keeping the ball from their offense. Also, don't try to outrun Oregon on the edges. Less sweeps and draws to the edge and more running in between the tackles. Do NOT turn the ball over. Turnovers will be the death knell of Stanford's chances.

For Oregon:
Get off to a fast start. One or two quick strike drives that put them up by 7 or 14 will start to demoralize Stanford. Oregon does a great job of forcing other team's into Oregon's style of play. Force Stanford to keep pace with Oregon and make this game another basketball game on turf.

I don't know what the score will be...obviously I'm pulling hard for Stanford as I am a Notre Dame fan.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:15 AM

Fair enough. And yes this is a very relevant topic. Its things that are happening in reality, not a bunch of hypothetical what ifs. Also, of course I was repeating the score prediction on the original post, since that would be staying on topic.

With all due respect for Notre Dame I just don't see them finishing in the top five. They have come this far because of heart but they're barely hanging in there. I see them losing to USC and then other more convincing one loss teams will pass them. I see them finishing around 10. And this game of course means alot to Notre Dame and will say alot about not only the Ducks but the Irish as well.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. And yes this is a very relevant topic. Its things that are happening in reality, not a bunch of hypothetical what ifs. Also, of course I was repeating the score prediction on the original post, since that would be staying on topic.

With all due respect for Notre Dame I just don't see them finishing in the top five. They have come this far because of heart but they're barely hanging in there. I see them losing to USC and then other more convincing one loss teams will pass them. I see them finishing around 10. And this game of course means alot to Notre Dame and will say alot about not only the Ducks but the Irish as well.
You mean like Florida with their 27-20 win over ULL? You mean UGA with their 28 point beatdown at the hands of a two loss USCe? Yeah I call BS. But you're not the first person to dismiss ND with "well they're playing with a lot of heart but they're frauds" card and you won't be the last. Every week I sit and listen to how ND isn't as good as their record indicates, and this is the week they're exposed, they're going to lose to MSU/Michigan/Stanford/Oklahoma/USC/etc. but every week Notre Dame wins. What looks like "barely hanging around" to you looks like a tough team with a somewhat inconsistent offense that hangs their hat on arguably the best defense in the nation. This year we're simply not a team built to run up the score, we hold onto the ball, eat up the clock, run the ball, and play elite defense. If you want "style points" look at our defense.

Sadly in an America addicted to energy drinks, reality TV, and with ever shortening attention spans a team like Oregon will get all the attention while a team like ND (playing the way teams have won championships for the better part of a century) gets overlooked. No disrespect to Oregon but I have a gut feeling that they're all flash and little substance and I also feel like they might be a bit soft.

Another thing to think of is the fact that Oregon has faced only 1 defense in the top 50 all season long and that was USC. Stanford is a top 20 defense and the #1 RUSHING defense in the nation. Oregon's game is predicated on running the ball so it will be power vs. power. Stanford is the best team Oregon has faced all year and unless they go to the NCG it will be the best team, and certainly the best defense, they'll face all year.

Last edited by SoCalbound12; 11-15-2012 at 11:33 AM..

Old 11-15-2012, 11:43 AM

Notre Dame may...possibly...be a great team. I highly doubt it and realize scoring points ...preferably alot of points...is just as important as stopping the opponent score. There's no flash propaganda about it. Its called stamina and endurance along with lighting and an IQ of only God knows.

So the question I have is: Is Notre Dame really that good? Well, who am I to say but this game will tell me something.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:06 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,608,852 times
38-28 Ducks.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
38-28 Ducks.
Cool thanks. Your giving Stanford their defensive credit. K. And thinking our defense kinda sucks. Stanfords air attack works as Lee did. Ok. Fair enough.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:34 PM

The positions that will have the absolute hardest job this week will be our offensive linemen. I see Stanford's plan to get to Mariota. They will have the toughest and absolute most critical job - our offensive linemen. This will be a hard hitting affair. Well see some physical football no doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football