Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:37 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,330,273 times

Advertisements

I seriously doubt LSU's a title contender, although I will point out that the first year LSU won a BCS title, we entered the season at around the #13 spot, which is where we are now. But that team was seriously underrated; this team might even be slightly overrated on account of their past successes.

That being said, if LSU's defense can somehow fill in the holes that have been left by the many departures over the past two years, they've got a shot. I can't help but think that the offense will improve in the passing game, and they're most certainly going to have depth in the backfield - it's the one thing Les Miles actually does right, year-in and year-out. Mett doesn't have to be great, he just has to be better at spreading the ball around and being a bit more reliable down field. He'll be an improved QB. He might still turn out to be a bit more hype than reality, but he's shown flashes of brilliance. He'll probably show more flashes. In terms of the skill areas, LSU's as talented as they've been since the glory years of 2003 and 2007. I do wonder about their lines, though.

I'm waffling as far as the natty's concerned. I think it's gonna be PAC 12 against Big Ten. I really don't think the SEC will actually be any worse, really, but the SEC streak ends this year because the SEC will dismantle itself from within. There won't be a dominant team this year. That's why I'm picking PAC 12. Oregon or Stanford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 07:59 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,543,882 times
The title game will be Oregon v. Louisville.

Louisville has the easiest schedule of any BCS team in history (doubt me? Look it up.) and anything less than an undefeated season will be criminal. Oregon has a good schedule (they play two BCS schools pre conference) and only Stanford on the road can be their undoing.

As to the SEC, I don't see anyone undefeated there.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:04 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post

Louisville has the easiest schedule of any BCS team in history (doubt me? Look it up.) and anything less than an undefeated season will be criminal. Oregon has a good schedule (they play two BCS schools pre conference) and only Stanford on the road can be their undoing.

To me, it would take an exceptional series of events to put Louisville into the championship game and you just detailed the reason why. Gaudy scores against a really weak field of opponents just doesn't cut ice with me. I think it would be a replay of last year's Bama vs. Notre Dame fiasco. Notre Dame would have been the sixth- or seventh-best team in the SEC and had their heads handed to them as a result. The real championship last year was Alabama vs. Georgia. Louisville against Oregon or Alabama or Ohio State or any number of other teams would be a repeat. TV sets would start getting turned off nationwide sometime around the beginning of the third quarter.

That being said, I think Alabama's looking way too much like a coronation this year. I'm thinking they might get tripped up a time or two before December.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:18 PM

219 posts, read 285,471 times
Texas A&M vs Stanford

A&M beats Bama 45 -42 then loses 24 -21 to LSU

A&M and Bama both finish 11 and 1 A&M beats UGA 38 -34 in SEC title for one half of national title

TCU wins big 12 with 10 and 2 record (they are out)
Clemson wins ACC with 10 and 2 record (they are out)

Ohio State goes undefeated regular season but loses in a stunner to Michigan in conference title (ouch) they are out

Stanford beats Oregon and then wins Pac 12 with 12 and 1 record.... the other half of the national title

A&M wins 31 -21, although Stanford does a good job on Manziel (not quite good enough though)

Old 08-28-2013, 07:38 PM

7,594 posts, read 6,085,921 times
TCU vs Boise State
Oh Wait....there is some rule that Notre Dame has to be in the game, right?

Seriously, Bammy over Ohio State.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZER PROPHET View Post

As others have said, Louisville would absolutely have to go undefeated even to have a whiff of a chance - nobody's going to give them the respect they're looking for. And I'd say that if they have even one stumble against an opponent that pollsters consider to be inferior then that will sink their chances altogether. Easy's good in terms of getting to a BCS bowl, but in terms of cracking the BCS title game, a lot would have to happen, and the Cards would have to take care of business.

Even if the SEC doesn't go undefeated, that won't matter a bit. With 7 straight BCS titles, they've essentially created an environment of strong Pro-SEC bias, to the point where a 1-loss SEC team probably gets into the title game, and a 2-loss team could get in if nobody else is undefeated. The SEC would have to destroy itself. FWIW, I predict that's actually what's going to happen this year - I think the SEC will beat itself out of the BCS. But then there's Big Ten, Big 12, and Pac 12. And those conferences could easily produce at least two 1-game winners among them. And there's always Florida State and, yes, God forbid, Notre Dame could get preferential treatment yet again. Louisville's a hard sell, I'm afraid.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternGuitarGuy View Post
Texas A&M vs Stanford

A&M and Bama both finish 11 and 1 A&M beats UGA 38 -34 in SEC title for one half of national title

Ohio State goes undefeated regular season but loses in a stunner to Michigan in conference title (ouch) they are out

Stanford beats Oregon and then wins Pac 12 with 12 and 1 record.... the other half of the national title

A&M wins 31 -21, although Stanford does a good job on Manziel (not quite good enough though)
I may be way wrong on this, but I think A&M has a downer year. They had such a break-out year last season, and Manziel had one of the most remarkable performances of any player in NCAA history. But his behavior in the off-season raises a lot of questions about his maturity and his ability to handle the pressure of expectations. I also think SEC teams are going to be better prepared for A&M's style of play.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:55 PM

219 posts, read 285,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I may be way wrong on this, but I think A&M has a downer year. They had such a break-out year last season, and Manziel had one of the most remarkable performances of any player in NCAA history. But his behavior in the off-season raises a lot of questions about his maturity and his ability to handle the pressure of expectations. I also think SEC teams are going to be better prepared for A&M's style of play.
You could be right..... all the emotion from Johnny Football may result in a hangover..... if things break the wrong way or they even look past anyone they could lose not only the Bama and LSU games, they could lose Ole Miss and Arkansas as well

It should be one great season regardless though

Old 08-28-2013, 09:16 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,929 times
Quote:
Texas A&M vs Stanford

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I agree cfb. I like LSU's youth this year. Under the radar is where the mad hatter likes it and that's exactly where they are.

aTm will lose 3-4 games this year. They lost too much talent and aren't going to reload. Bama takes them to woodshed in collie station. Manziel will learn quickly how good his o-line actually was last year.

Welcome to the board WGG.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
You could be right..... all the emotion from Johnny Football may result in a hangover..... if things break the wrong way or they even look past anyone they could lose not only the Bama and LSU games, they could lose Ole Miss and Arkansas as well

It should be one great season regardless though
Now lemme be clear, when I say a downer year, I don't mean they're going to stink up the joint. I could see them going to the Cap One Bowl or something like that. But all the talk about them going to the Cotton or the BCS title game may be hype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football