Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2023, 05:42 PM

387 posts, read 351,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
While I definitely think each of those teams you named would be the favorite vs. FSU -- probably even if FSU were at home -- it's too much to say that FSU *couldn't* beat any of those teams. We are capable of beating anyone in the country. We are also capable of being upset by an inferior team.

I do believe that this year's team is composed of a group of winners -- guys who can somehow manage to figure out how to win a game even if they have been otherwise outplayed/outmatched.

We have not yet been able to acquire enough elite talent or develop the roster depth to keep up with Georgia, Ohio State, etc; but we're getting there. Let us play them 10 times and we might win 2 or 3. But that's not how football works. All it takes is one game
And I think that is why I can see it happening. If I am on the committee and I say Bama would be favored over FSU in a neutral site, then I am placing them ahead of FSU.

I agree, and I said this after the LSU game..these guys are a team in the truest sense. They play for each other. They want to win together, and in a one game scenario, that definitely can be something to push you forward. This team CAN beat anyone. They need to play a complete game together though. Take the swagger of the LSU game, the completeness of the Syracuse game, and and the resilience of the Duke game (even though I now concede Duke is overrated..but insert any game we trailed in the 2nd half) and I will take them against anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2023, 10:45 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
When I first moved to Tallahassee 21 years ago I recall a game where it looked like FSU was about to run away with the score. But suddenly Miami caught up in the 4th quarter and FSU lost by missing a field goal. I recall jogging down near West Tennessee St. by the old Blockbuster (now closed) and saw a sign that said "Chris Rix sucks". FSU was in a down phase in the 2000s that eventually led to the end of Bowden's career.

Then Jimbo arrive and brought back the championship in 2013 but with a lot of controversy with team scandals. I was annoyed by that and just switched to being a soccer fan for FSU while ignoring football. But this year the team is back and appears to have more discipline. I am rooting for the Noles.

But they are generally weak in the first half. The depth and 4/5 star talent get active in the 2nd half and pull out a win. But a few games have been closer than expected. Miami put up a tough game but still lost. No wide right or left this year - lol. However, I think FSU will win the ACC but am unsure about games in the CFP. Right now, Michigan or Ohio State would be very tough from the Big 10. Alabama or Georgia are elite as usual. Out west, Washington and Oregon are very formidable. The Pac-12 is strong this year. I grew up in this region and have seen it go up-and-down. Despite its demise, the conference is going out with formidable teams.

So, I don't know if FSU can stay undefeated in the CFP. They've got to solve that low-throttle of performance in the first half. They can pull away from Miami or Clemson in the 2nd half but against Alabama, Georgia, Washington, Oregon, Ohio State, or Michigan it would be really tough. I am rooting for the Noles though.

Old 11-18-2023, 08:46 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
I feel bad for Jordan Travis, but it looks like they have a good backup QB that can set up and carry them into the CFP!

Old 11-19-2023, 06:48 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I feel bad for Jordan Travis, but it looks like they have a good backup QB that can set up and carry them into the CFP!
He looked good against North Alabama. Not sure you can glean much from that. This is a team that gave up 52 to Tarleton St and 49 to Austin Peay. Louisville will the the test.

Old 11-19-2023, 07:41 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
He looked good against North Alabama. Not sure you can glean much from that. This is a team that gave up 52 to Tarleton St and 49 to Austin Peay. Louisville will the the test.
No doubt, I also think the Florida game in the swamp next week will be helpfully for Rodemaker to get comfortable and more experience playing a full game, even though Florida is not that great, they're better than North Alabama and a huge FSU rival.

Old 11-19-2023, 08:35 AM

30,141 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
No doubt, I also think the Florida game in the swamp next week will be helpfully for Rodemaker to get comfortable and more experience playing a full game, even though Florida is not that great, they're better than North Alabama and a huge FSU rival.
I agree. And its that kind of injury that makes me again say that the Sanders should be shut down at Colorado as well as Williams at USC. Putting a future NFL career at risk over meaningless games is foolish. And I believe Sanders is injured now. I get FSU is in the running for a national championship which is different.

Old 11-19-2023, 10:08 AM

Just awful for Travis. Everything has has been through to get where he was with the 'Noles and to go out with an injury like that on senior night. He was the heart of this team.

Tate proved he can play in the Louisville game last year. The key to Tate will be giving him time in the pocket. O-line will need to step up. He can sling the ball, and the weapons Travis had are still there. I think I can see Tate utilizing them better as he is more accurate, but that will go back to the o-line. They will also need to get the running game going and use some screens to keep Florida (and others) from all out blitzing.

I have mentioned a few times this is one of the truest "teams" I have ever seen. And that doesn't change with this. In fact I think it makes it stronger. This year they have all been playing for each other. Mark my words, they are playing for Travis now and I expect some laser focus.

Game next week is a rivalry game and everything you know is off the table. Don't care of UF is down to their backup QB at well. This game is at the swamp. It will be a dogfight. But if the o-line can give Tate time, he can do some damage against UF. I expect CMN has been holding back some for these last few weeks of the season, so I am hoping we some good offensive playcalling. And for the love of god...lets scheme the D in the first half as well. Imagine what can happen if we did that.

But THANK YOU to Jordan Travis. Your heart, dedication, and attitude have been instrumental in helping FSU get back to where they can be. You are a true 'Nole who gave it everything.

Old 11-19-2023, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
When I first moved to Tallahassee 21 years ago I recall a game where it looked like FSU was about to run away with the score. But suddenly Miami caught up in the 4th quarter and FSU lost by missing a field goal. I recall jogging down near West Tennessee St. by the old Blockbuster (now closed) and saw a sign that said "Chris Rix sucks". FSU was in a down phase in the 2000s that eventually led to the end of Bowden's career.

Then Jimbo arrive and brought back the championship in 2013 but with a lot of controversy with team scandals. I was annoyed by that and just switched to being a soccer fan for FSU while ignoring football. But this year the team is back and appears to have more discipline. I am rooting for the Noles.

But they are generally weak in the first half. The depth and 4/5 star talent get active in the 2nd half and pull out a win. But a few games have been closer than expected. Miami put up a tough game but still lost. No wide right or left this year - lol. However, I think FSU will win the ACC but am unsure about games in the CFP. Right now, Michigan or Ohio State would be very tough from the Big 10. Alabama or Georgia are elite as usual. Out west, Washington and Oregon are very formidable. The Pac-12 is strong this year. I grew up in this region and have seen it go up-and-down. Despite its demise, the conference is going out with formidable teams.

So, I don't know if FSU can stay undefeated in the CFP. They've got to solve that low-throttle of performance in the first half. They can pull away from Miami or Clemson in the 2nd half but against Alabama, Georgia, Washington, Oregon, Ohio State, or Michigan it would be really tough. I am rooting for the Noles though.
You are probably thinking the game down in Miami in 2002 where UM was #1. We did get a lead on them but we were never going to run away with that one. It was always going to be get out in front and hopefully stay there.

Rix got a bad rap. He was another one who gave every game his all. Problem was his coaching did him no favors. Rix under Fisher, or CMN and he would have been a star. He had all the physical tools. But what many don't know is that he had some personal issues he was dealing with Soph/Jr year.

Fisher got lucky with Winston. Without him he was an average coach at best. Winston and then Cook were able to mask a lot of his short comings. He valued the game more than the student athlete, and it showed. Many other coaches so the same of course, but manage it better. He didn't...he let the inmates run the asylum. He was stubborn to make changes on both sides of the ball. The talent on D we had under Charles Kelly was tremendous, and it was wasted.

FSU CAN beat any team in the CFP. But like I have said many times it will need to be a complete game. Against these teams they will not be able to get behind or have a slow start like they have most of the year. If FSU plays the way it did the 2nd half against LSU...they will beat anyone...even mighty Bama or Goergia. But the question is can they? The only true "complete" game you can make an argument they played was against Syracuse which looks less and less impressive.

Old 11-19-2023, 12:47 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
Really?

Then, in other news, highlights I've seen this morning, so if Washington bumps FSU out of the CFP because of an injury, is that even fair?

I think it's a bum deal, but expect this to happen.

Also, Oregon bumps Texas, who should and would be ahead of Bama, but what if Bama beats Georgia in SEC Championship? What does that do to the top four?

Old 11-19-2023, 07:33 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Regarding the injury, I hate it for JT more than anything. He is as true of a Nole and as good of a teammate and leader as one could hope for. Seeing his post-injury social media posts just shows what an amazing and mature person he is with such a good perspective that is rare for someone his age.

I have complete confidence in Tate. While he doesn't have the experience, legs, or intangibles of JT, he is a gunslinger with some huge weapons to throw to. If the O line can protect him and he can make good decisions, I'd give us a shot against anyone in the playoff.

Of course the big question is even if we win out, will we be one of the Top 4? The committee has said that they do take injuries into account, so we really need to put up some style points against florida and Louisville to prevent getting jumped by a 1-loss team.

But a lot can still happen between now and the final playoff rankings coming out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football