Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2023, 03:47 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Agreed. I don't understand the mindset that seems to be prevalent among the fanbase that FSU should boycott the "meaningless" Orange Bowl. It just reeks of cowardice and a lack of fortitude to me.

So when things don't go our way and life treats us unfairly, we just quit? We pick up our ball and go home? That's sending the wrong message, and hopefully with the way our coaching staff and players have been talking all season, that type of mindset would be completely foreign to them.
Agreed. Beating Georgia would be no small thing regardless of "opt outs" and all that. Georgia is Georgia.

And I realize that there are a number of reasons you can be critical of a 12 team playoff... but at least none of the real competitors will be left out anymore. There is no doubt that FSU has a case that they should be in. But so do Alabama and Texas. And Georgia or Oregon or Ohio State had they been able to get in the four team playoff...could possibly win it.

Next year they will get that chance. It kind of sucks that the CCGs and huge late season games like Ohio State Michigan and Alabama Auburn will be for seeding purposes. But I am so worn out on this arguing every year. Moving the arguing down to 12/13 will make all this less controversial for the legit playoff teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 01:45 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
I may have this wrong, but I believe they let a 2014 one-loss OSU team in the playoffs with a third-stream QB...

Old 12-09-2023, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Agreed. I don't understand the mindset that seems to be prevalent among the fanbase that FSU should boycott the "meaningless" Orange Bowl. It just reeks of cowardice and a lack of fortitude to me.

So when things don't go our way and life treats us unfairly, we just quit? We pick up our ball and go home? That's sending the wrong message, and hopefully with the way our coaching staff and players have been talking all season, that type of mindset would be completely foreign to them.
Disagree. There is national outrage over this, even from many coaches. Both teams should absolutely boycott as well as viewers (even if it's played).

Last edited by Lizap; 12-09-2023 at 08:10 PM..

Old 12-09-2023, 10:29 PM

1,982 posts, read 972,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
I may have this wrong, but I believe they let a 2014 one-loss OSU team in the playoffs with a third-stream QB...
That is correct! Cardale Jones won the Buckeyes a national title!

Old 12-09-2023, 10:52 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
yep - the Bucks beat the Ducks 42-20. It was a great game. My wife and I watched it sitting in Cronies Sports Bar in Hilo, HI. Needless to say, most of the folks were rooting for the Ducks since their QB was Hawaiian.

Good times.

Old 12-10-2023, 05:52 AM

214 posts, read 261,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
59-0 > 16-6 . Maybe that was the difference .

Old 12-10-2023, 06:24 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Disagree. There is national outrage over this, even from many coaches. Both teams should absolutely boycott as well as viewers (even if it's played).
Go ahead and boycott. You then have a loss, so your record becomes 13-1, and you are not undefeated.

Not sure that's the best plan...

Old 12-10-2023, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Go ahead and boycott. You then have a loss, so your record becomes 13-1, and you are not undefeated.

Not sure that's the best plan...
At this time in the season, one loss doesn’t have much significance.

Old 12-10-2023, 09:31 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e66330 View Post
Yes, the "third string QB" led tOSU to a 59-0 victory in the CCG that year. He also was not a true freshman.

But if you are going to bring that game up you also have to bring up the fact that the committee used that victory to hop Ohio State over equally deserving squads at TCU and Baylor. Ohio State's huge margin of victory allowed them to not have to make a choice between those two. Because they both had one loss.
Baylor had head to head over TCU but Baylor lost a game after they beat TCU.

Committee didn't want to have to pick between those two. Ohio State went in so they didn't have to.

Very similar scenario to this year.

Old 12-10-2023, 10:01 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e66330 View Post
Although the committee's own criteria says they're not supposed to incentivize margin of victory.

(And Urban has even admitted he ran up the score.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football